Potential win at Beaconsfield

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
James Beil

Potential win at Beaconsfield

Post by James Beil »

I've just been going through the maths and assuming both we and Beaconsfield get four wins between now and our away game (getting them on might be a challenge!) we'd be on the following points:

DIAMONDS - 84 from 35, 7 to play
BEACONSFIELD - 76 from 35, 7 to play

Assuming we win, that then puts us 15 points ahead with 6 to play, meaning one win and a draw would make us champions.

What this means is that fingers crossed, Beaconsfield can drop four points between now and our meeting on the 31st, and we can get a night like the day we won at Northampton Spencer(?) and invaded the pitch - I've still got a prosecco cork from that evening by my bed!

Can anyone see Beaconsfield dropping those four points?
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: Potential win at Beaconsfield

Post by BartonRaz »

I can't see us achieving anything against Beaconsfield, but you never know. I think it's unlikely we'll beat all 3 of Hayes, Hartley and Beaconsfield, whom we face in the next couple of weeks.

Our run-in is quite awful really, we face 5 of the 6 teams directly below us and after Saturday the average position of the teams we have left to play is 7th. I doubt any of the other teams have final fixtures as tough as that, but I have full confidence we'll see it through with games to spare.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

And those five of the six teams have to play us! Top of the table, miserly defence, be positive.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

therushden wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:02 am And those five of the six teams have to play us! Top of the table, miserly defence, be positive.
I'm certainly positive, very positive. I just think it's unrealistic to expect us to beat all of these teams around us and be promoted by the end of the month.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I have previously stated that we could certainly get promoted on 31st March, but with the postponements that is now not so clear. Maybe the Bank Holiday home match with Bedford would be a good one for the celebrations....promotion at least, with Champions to come a match or two later.

Our next four games do include matches v Hayes and Hartley so we may drop some points there, whereas Beaconsfields next four games are home to Ashford and Dunstable, away to Northwood and Hanwell. For Beaconsfield they would expect a certain 9 points plus whatever they get v Dunstable.

There are still plenty of matches between the top seven to be played, 11 in fact, so all will probably drop points along the way.

AFC Dunstable v Cambridge City 14/4
AFC R & D v Hayes and Y 20/3
v AFC Dunstable 17/4
Beaconsfield v AFC Dunstable 19/3
v AFC R & D 31/3
v Hayes and Y 21/4
Cambridge City v AFC R & D 21/4
v Chalfont SP 9/4
v Hartley W 7/4
Chalfont SP v Hayes and Y 17/3
Hartley W v AFC R & D 24/3

Although we do have to play all the top teams the games v Dunstable and Cambridge will hopefully be "dead rubbers" for us by then.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Key fixture tomorrow night ( if it goes ahead) , beaconsfield are at home to dunstable
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm Key fixture tomorrow night ( if it goes ahead) , beaconsfield are at home to dunstable
A draw would be a good result for us.. But very unlikely to go ahead.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:37 pm
TheIncognitoKid wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:18 pm Key fixture tomorrow night ( if it goes ahead) , beaconsfield are at home to dunstable
A draw would be a good result for us.. But very unlikely to go ahead.
Match OFF - snow covered pitch.
James Beil

Post by James Beil »

I've not done the maths for it but I think this means we can't win until the second week of April at the very earliest, assuming everything goes our way. Looks like it'll be down to the wire - I'd take automatic promotion though we'd be gutted not to win the league after such a strong season.

Just please not another playoff!
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Beaconsfield Town v AFC Dunstable rearranged for Tuesday 24th April. Let’s hope that’s the battle for 2nd place.