Southern League Division One 'Championship Match'...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Southern League Division One 'Championship Match'...

Post by BartonRaz »

This is the ultimate 'tempting fate' post.

I know that some of our supporters - myself included - are keeping a keen eye on the Southern League Div One West at the moment.

At the end of each season, the winners of the East & West Divisions meet in a one-off Championship Match to decide who the overall 'Champion' is at this level. I think the former club won a slightly different version of this Trophy in 1997, somebody might be able to confirm this. The game is played at the ground of the team with the best playing record and last year Hereford beat Royston on penalties after a 0-0 draw at Edgar Street.

If the season was to finish right now, the Championship Match this year would be Taunton Town V Diamonds - a 360-mile round trip for us. Taunton are looking nailed-on to win the Div One West but dropped some points yesterday. They do have a better playing record than us at present, although it's very tight and could change midweek.

The game usually takes place on the Saturday after the final game, which this year would be May 5th.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: Southern League Division One 'Championship Match'...

Post by sussexdiamond »

[The game usually takes place on the Saturday after the final game, which this year would be May 5th.
[/quote]

Rather a pointless exercise, but one that League officials seem to enjoy inflicting on clubs.
But a nice Bank Holiday weekend trip to Somerset, maybe staying at Minehead or Weston SM.

I believe K*ttering had to travel to Merthyr a couple of years ago. At least Somerset does have some attractions...I've probably upset any welsh born fans we may have!!
Everyweeker
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Everyweeker »

Having watched Taunton this year can confirm that they are a club really making an effort to grow. Attracting good crowds, with a genuine 'home atmosphere'. Would be perfect for me to finish the season!
Member Number: 21
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:41 pm [The game usually takes place on the Saturday after the final game, which this year would be May 5th.
Rather a pointless exercise, but one that League officials seem to enjoy inflicting on clubs.
But a nice Bank Holiday weekend trip to Somerset, maybe staying at Minehead or Weston SM.

I believe K*ttering had to travel to Merthyr a couple of years ago. At least Somerset does have some attractions...I've probably upset any welsh born fans we may have!!
[/quote]
Doubt you’ve upset anyone, even the most hardened native speaking Welsh would probably admit Merthyr has little to offer than a name that’s easier to pronounce than many other in the area. Though from my 1 visit there many years ago I do remember an abundance of dog crap on the pavement.