Non League Day....

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Non League Day....

Post by BartonRaz »

I can't go to York tomorrow for the Diamonds game, so I had a look at where i could go and watch a game.

Above the United Counties League (Step 5 of Non-League) I narrowed it down to Woodford Utd V Aylesbury in the Zamaretto Southern League Division One Central, or Corby V Boston in Blue Square North.

Given that there will possibly be 6 ex-Diamonds playing at Corby tomorrow (Hope, Gulliver, Gooding, S. Brown, Semple, and Jelleyman), i plumped for that game. This will be the lowest level i've ever seen League football so i'm not sure what to expect!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dukes

Re: Non League Day....

Post by Dukes »

Wonder how many York based Leeds fans will be at the Kit-Kat tomorrow..?
Could swell their crowd..!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I suppose it was inevitable that Corby V Boston would end 0-0.

I was pleasantly surprised by the standard though. For years i had just dismissed Corby for some reason, probably because they were ratting around in some very low divison for as long as i can remember. For those who aren't local, Corby's current ground is appalling (its an athletics stadium) but their new ground is being built right nextdoor, and it looks like its going to be quite good, you have to walk through the new ground to get to the current one.

I can't believe how close it is to the Rockinghorse, only about 3/4 minutes in a car. I'm assuming there must be some sort of rivalry there, if i was from that area i'd much rather go and watch the Steelmen.

I reckon Boston took about 400 away fans which kind of distorted the figure, but there was over 900 there, when usually Corby struggle to break 500. Corby have 100 or so 'hardcore' fans that sing all game from start to finish.

They have a decent striker called Ben Mackey who looked a handful and has scored 5 in 5 so far this season. They signed him for Brackley Town in the summer.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

The Non-League day was also featured in the Free Lions magazine that's given out on England Matchday - the latest edition coming out at the England v Bulgaria match.

So the Blue Square Prem Photo that was taken at RDFC, where Jamie Stuart represented us was on the Centre Pages in that magazine :-)

Site: http://www.fsf.org.uk/freelions/freelions/index.php though looks not to have been updated yet - possibly since nationwide stopped their funding/sponsorship - a new sponsor is yet to be found. Issue 108 is the one - the firm that produced it Azure Graphics http://www.azure-design.comsponsored that one.