Youths v Wobbl£r$

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Youths v Wobbl£r$

Post by davealbon »

We lost 3-2 on penalties in the Northants U18s Cup, after a dire 0-0 draw. The Wobbl£r$ looked the most likely team to score during the 120 minutes, and hit the bar with the penultimate kick of the game, but in all honesty both teams were so bad that neither deserved to win it!

We played mostly first years, with James Broadbent, Elliot Dent and Liam Read the only second years in the starting line up.

Substitute Callum Earls smashed the first penalty into the top corner, and Read converted the second before the Wobbl£r$ blasted their second over the bar. Charlie Desmond saw his effort well saved, before Femi Solesi's weak penalty was comfortably kept out, while the Wobbl£r$ scored their next two. The defeat was confirmed when Dent placed his shot high and wide.

The full line up was:

GK - James Broadbent (c)
RB - Zack Reynolds
LB - Joe Hopewell (Charlie Desmond)
CB - Max Harradine
CB - Ben Ekins
RM - Jordan Pendered
LM - Liam Read
CM - Elliot Dent
CM - Jerry Nash
S - Jake Woolley (Callum Earls)
S - Dominic Brennan (Femi Solesi)
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Pigman
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: Youths v Wobbl£r$

Post by Pigman »

I thought our lads did okay against a much bigger and older side personally. It wasn't a classic sure, but lots of endeavour and effort on show, I enjoyed it - better than sitting at hbome listening to overpaid tossers on the radio ;)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

I agree about the effort and commitment, there were certainly some tough tackles flying around from both sides! And the Wobbl£r$ certainly did look bigger and older than our lads.

The quality of the passing and ball control (with one or two exceptions) was very poor though, way below our usual standard, although that was probably due to the fact that we rested many of our top players, and the opposition were stronger than our usual league opponents. Having said that, if that was the best the Wobbl£r$ had to offer then their future looks grim! :lol:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Out of interest are there any stand out players coming through this year? Possible 1st teamers in a couple of years or so.
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

Steve wrote:Out of interest are there any stand out players coming through this year? Possible 1st teamers in a couple of years or so.
Jerry Nash is the standout player of that age group! (1st years)
From the Second Years, Aaron King was always the standout, obviously he has moved on, Morgan Phillips is a decent right back!
davealbon

Post by davealbon »

Oundle Diamond #2 wrote:
Steve wrote:Out of interest are there any stand out players coming through this year? Possible 1st teamers in a couple of years or so.
Jerry Nash is the standout player of that age group! (1st years)
From the Second Years, Aaron King was always the standout, obviously he has moved on, Morgan Phillips is a decent right back!
I totally agree about Nash, and he seems to have had a growing spurt recently as he's no where near as short as he was the first couple of times I saw him play! Morgan Phillips seems to be more of a centre back now, although I've seen him play anywhere at the back. From what I've seen of them though, I think George Artemi is the better prospect in defence.
At the moment, Callum Earls looks the most likely to be able to handle the pace and strength of men's football, and he was apparently very impressive during his loan spell at St Neots Town last season. I prefer him at left midfield rather than left back though, which is where he plays more often now.
Liam Read is probably the most technically gifted of the second years, and although he has impressed me more the last couple of time I've seen him play, he still has a lot of progressing to do this season if he is to make the grade.