St Ives Youth 0-7 Rushden Youth

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

St Ives Youth 0-7 Rushden Youth

Post by davealbon »

The Youth's destroyed St Ives tonight, dominating even more than the first team did against Histon on Tuesday! They weren't quite as wasteful in front of goal, although it should have been double figures.

Liam Read scored the opener with a cracking far post volley, perfectly placed into the top corner, which sparked a tribute celebration to Simon Parsell who was physioing his last game for the club. I couldn't see exactly what was going on from where I was stood, but apparently half the team lifted their shirts up to reveal "4 U PHYS" written on their chests. :lol:
Jake Gillingwater scored the second after half an hour with a simple header from Lewis Wilson's excellent right wing cross. George Artemi netted the third with a brave glancing header from Elliot Dent's cross, before Jerry Nash made it 4-0 with a strong run and shot from 20 yards that bounced just in front of the 'keeper and deceived him, which was a shame as he had made a couple of great saves to keep the score down.
Early in the second half, Callum Earls scored the 5th with a powerful shot from just inside the box, and inbetween hitting the bar and post, Wilson made it 6-0 with a superb curling shot into the top corner from 25 yards. Dent completed the scoring, slotting the ball past the 'keeper from close range after a great through ball from Gillingwater.

The St Ives 'keeper made several more good saves in the second half to keep the score down, and we were guilty of some poor finishing at times, but I don't remember James Broadbent actually having a shot to save. We will now play the winner of the Thrapston (who beat the Ploppies in the previous round) vs AFC Kempston game which was also played tonight.

The full lineup was:
1. James Broadbent (c)
2. Morgan Phillips (16. Zak Reynolds)
3. Callum Earls
4. Jerry Nash
5. Max Harradine
6. George Artemi
7. Lewis Wilson
8. Elliot Dent
9. Jake Gillingwater
10. Liam Read (12. Jake Woolley)
11. Jordan Pendered (14. Dominic Brennan)
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297