R.I.P Dale Roberts

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
coltrane

Re: R.I.P Dale Roberts

Post by coltrane »

What a tragic waste of a young life, I had heard but could not believe, after this news everything else seems insignificant. R.I.P. young man a truly sad day.
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Cotty »

I wish some of you would stop speculating about causes and reasons and remember Dale as one of the finest and friendliest players to wear the Rushden shirt. My thoughts go out to his family, friends and colleagues at such a distressing time. I'm pleased to read that fans of other clubs can set aside rivalries and see the wider human tragedy here. Memorials etc can wait - let's just remember the man and all he did for us.
Diamond Warrior

Post by Diamond Warrior »

ron manager wrote:I'm not going to post a link, to their sorry affair, but the sun are starting to publish stories about this, which are not very helpful at this time.
It's to be expected, and one of the first assumptions that I thought of :/
ID

Post by ID »

Please try not to speculate on this thread. Let's keep it purely for remembering a great goalkeeper and kind man.
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
wobblysteve

Post by wobblysteve »

Stunned when I heard the news last night - absolutely stunned......

As has already been said many times - condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Dale Roberts.

Thoughts and prayers to all. RIP Dale.

Wobblysteve, Amy & Pop (D5 Block)
Diamond Warrior

Post by Diamond Warrior »

divas wrote: Obviously the reason for his death is not yet known, however if it is the worst news an he had taken his own life i think the most fitting thing that can come out of this, and the best tribute to Dale would be some kind of trust set up (i dont think one already exists) where footballers can seek help on personal matters, at times its a lonely business for professionals who may only train a few hours each day and have plenty of time to reflect on things and dig themselves into holes. People sometimes forget that these guys are human and have exactly the same problems of others. If anything positive can come from this it would be that something is set up in Dale's honour to stop this ever happening again.

RIP Dale.
Apolagies for the name dropping.. But Darren Huckerby has just told me that the PFA do offer help to players with personal problems.
olio

Post by olio »

A massive loss, one of the most popular players I've seen at the club.
A True Legend, and a great guy too.
May God be with you. RIP Dale
'...Wardley again.... Now Butterworth trying to provide some inspiration; What will the response be from Rushden??? IT'S A GOAL FROM ONANDI LOWE!!!!.... Third Division POSF 2nd leg; Rochdale 1 Rushden & Diamonds 2 Tuesday 30th April 2002
diamond82
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by diamond82 »

I wasn't going to post on the forum but after seeing all the tributes from other fans of other teams I thought it would be a shame if as a Rushden fan, I kept my thoughts to myself. This is similar to what I wrote on the shirt that I left at Nene Park earlier with some added.

From the moment Dale first started playing for Rushden he had a clear bond with the fans. I remember when his first loan spell ended he returned to the club for the next game and the crowd were chanting his name. This was for an ex-loanee who had only played about 5 or 6 games for us at the time and wasn't even playing! Such was the popularity of such a likeable character from day 1!

Despite his obvious talents on the pitch Dale made time for everyone off it and was easily approachable and always smiling. A real gentleman.

So many people are shocked and saddened to hear that Dale has left us at such a young age. He will forever remain number 1 in the hearts of all at Rushden and Diamonds FC.

I hope you are at peace now friend.

And of course my condolences to all his family and friends during the toughest of times.
Tom_MCFC

Post by Tom_MCFC »

Good Afternoon Diamonds fans,

I am a Manchester City fan, i thought i would post after i heard the terrible news about Dale Roberts.

I had the pleasure of watching Dale when he was playing for Alfreton, he was a good keeper and an exceptionally nice person.

It is extremely saddening to see anyone of that age pass away, may i wish my condolences to all his family and friends and all who supported him at Rushden.

RIP Dale.
DiamondEejit

Post by DiamondEejit »

R.I.P Dale Roberts - A top keeper and a top guy, always played with a smile on his face and one of my favourite players. He put in some performances I will never forget, Dale's contribution to this club was great in a too shorter period of time, and the messages on here are a testament to this. Far too young to die, Rushden's loss is certainly heavens gain. May you rest in peace Dale, and God look after you. You will never be forgotten here. x

I would like to echo the calls for a stand to be named after him, such a thing would be fitting to his memory and honour. I also wondered if it would be possible to have a tribute to him as the forum banner? It's just a thought.
"Reputations mean nothing here, come any where near me on that pitch and I'll kick you over the far stand."

♦Dale Roberts♦ - Forever and always Rushden's number 1