[ Sat 21st Mar ] v Wisbech Town, KO 3pm UCLP HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
updiamonds

Re: [ Sat 21st Mar ] v Wisbech Town, KO 3pm UCLP HOME

Post by updiamonds »

Trek wrote:
updiamonds wrote: Is 930 are highest attendance? I think so, was Cambridge are previous highest attendance.
Second highest after the 948 recorded against the Scottish side in the Vase last season.

Over average will improve. Expecting bumper gates against Wellingborough and Cogenhoe. Don't forget that the Boxing Day attendance for the abandoned match is not included in the current average.

Oh yea I remember that thanks.

It would be nice if we get over a 1000, there will be bumper(s) crowds to come. :D

Are highest attendance would top the highest attendance in the Southern Central League. :D
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

What I will say about the attendance is that it was the highest amount of AFC fans so far because the away following was no where near the amount of supporters that the Leicester side brought, I would estimate the Wisbech support at about just over 100
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by Olly »

STAGMAN wrote:What I will say about the attendance is that it was the highest amount of AFC fans so far because the away following was no where near the amount of supporters that the Leicester side brought, I would estimate the Wisbech support at about just over 100
Yeah that is true, the Scottish side may have had over 200 'fans' that day, Wisbech didn't have many more than 100 I would have said, but it was still a very decent following for a step 5 team.

And hopefully the Welly game will be over 1000 and Cogenhoe, assuming we can or will be lifting the trophy at the end of the game will be well over 1000 no doubt, any sign of silverware to be seen always brings people out of the woodwork.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
mackemcobbler

Post by mackemcobbler »

Excellent attendance which I doubt would be beaten by many sides if any out side the Conference also the title is now yours to lose which I cant see happening
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

Epic, wish I was at the game today. Can't wait to join the promotion party in a few weeks.

Fantastic on the attendance today. Only about 350 below our average in our final Conference season - impressive stuff. It's just a shame for the club that every time we pull in a decent gate at home we seem to choke a bit - wouldn't it be great if for once we pulled a performance out the bag to retain these fans for other games. Hey, ho, we won, we're promoted, and next year's going to be a fantastic new challenge for us all now we're out of this utter tinpot league. :D
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Oundle Diamond #2 wrote: Hey, ho, we won, we're promoted, and next year's going to be a fantastic new challenge for us all now we're out of this utter tinpot league. :D
Erm, we didn't win, we're not promoted yet, and we're not quite out of this tinpot league! Although it's looking promising!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Echo the sentiments of OD, looking forward to getting out of this league. With Long Buckby, Sileby and Wellingborough still to play I think it's safe to say we're up. Holbeach won't get to their maximum points. Maybe we'll go on and win the title, but I'm not bothered about that, just getting out of this league and never having to see it again!

By the way, some talk of a bit of trouble after the game and accusations of racism by one of the Wisbech players, any truth in there?
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
paulg

Post by paulg »

In terms of the extra numbers in the crowd, a lot of them from what I saw & heard were regional non-league groundhoppers just interested to take in the game as neutrals, who had seen both teams 2 or 3 times max this season, so I don't think the poor standard of quality in yesterday's match will have a massive impact in turning away potential long-term loyal support.

I'm not sure why those who came to Nene Park but are sitting back until we reach a higher division are choosing to do so (or where those extra hundred from the R&H game at Hayden Road in Oct 2012 went) but it looks like they may have a decision to make soon with promotion very much on the cards for us now.

Amongst the abuse directed at us from a group of Wisbech fans when leaving the ground yesterday was that we'd struggle to cope in the Southern League next season because of low crowds! It was hard not to laugh.
paulg

Post by paulg »

Bob's Bitch wrote:Echo the sentiments of OD, looking forward to getting out of this league. With Long Buckby, Sileby and Wellingborough still to play I think it's safe to say we're up. Holbeach won't get to their maximum points. Maybe we'll go on and win the title, but I'm not bothered about that, just getting out of this league and never having to see it again!

By the way, some talk of a bit of trouble after the game and accusations of racism by one of the Wisbech players, any truth in there?
I wouldn't take Josh Ford's Twitter feed as a conclusive, balanced account of the facts. He appears to have omitted the prolonged disgraceful behaviour of their goalkeeper at the end in his version of events. Big games often bring out the worst in people unfortunately, think both sides have reason not to be 100% delighted with how thing went yesterday, on and off the pitch. Ford's sour grapes presumably come from their frustration at letting it slip at the end.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

sussexdiamond wrote:A classic case of "cheats never prosper"

I don't think we will have to wait too long before the sour grapes and whining start to emanate from the Fenlands.

The KO cup semi final next week promises to be an "interesting" affair.

What has Josh Ford got to say?

Lee Jordan certainly did not help matters by spraying his water bottle over Diamonds fans, and he was pulled away by a steward.

Racism? Did Wisbech have any black players?
Or does "Dirty Northern B******s " now constitute racism?