Best player in our squad?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.

Best player this season?

Max Porter
42%
Dale Roberts
23%
Curtis Osano
13%
Rene Howe
10%
Jamie Stuart
13%

Total votes: 31

DiamondsFan

Best player in our squad?

Post by DiamondsFan »

Gone a bit quiet on here lately.

Without taking into consideration their previous achievements or form, Who do you think is the best player in our squad on their current performances?

Never really been a big fan of Max Porter until the back end of last season but I'd say he was one of mine. The guy covers so much ground, is precise with his tackles, rarely bottles a challenge and is fast becoming one of my favourite players.
Last edited by DiamondsFan on Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Re: Best player in our squad?

Post by BartonRaz »

On their day i think 6 or 7 players would be in with a shout. But in terms of consistency i reckon Max Porter too. Rene Howe and Curtis Osano are the best players in terms of ability.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

DiamondsFan wrote: Never really been a big fan of Max Porter until the back end of last season but I'd say he was one of mine. The guy covers so much ground, is precise with his tackles, rarely bottles a challenge and is fast becoming one of my favourite players.
And Max was one of the best players for England C the other night - from centre midfield, and almost had the winner at the end with a great strike only just over.

Despite last weekend I'd still go with Curtis - hopefully he'll sort the odd mistake out - in the centre he's less time to catch up a player with his pace than at full back. Just needs to be decisive in that role/position, and am sure Jamie will have word in his shell like about that after Justin has had his say. The performances are there - just the consistency needed, and have no doubt he'll sort that.
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Cotty »

best this season? Dale Roberts without a doubt.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Osano is without doubt the most talented player in the squad IMO, but he needs to improve on his concentration and decision making if he is to fulfil his potential. Although he is still young, he has a fair bit of experience now and should be improving the mental side of his game. Howe is not far behind him, and in a better, more consistent team, would be scoring for fun at this level.

In terms of our best player based on current form, I would have to say Roberts or Porter. Dale has been so unlucky this season, he's hardly put a foot wrong so far, but has been let down by defensive errors and a couple of brilliant, unstoppable goals. His saves to shots ratio probably looks quite poor this season, but he couldn't have done anything about any of the goals we've conceded. I love Max Porter, he is a 7 (at least) out of 10 player every game, and I can't recall a player as consistent as him since Garry Butterworth. He rarely does anything special, although his technique and ball control do look better this season, but he is such an important player for us. I don't think he will ever progress beyond League 2, maybe League 1 at best though, unlike Osano who could definitely play in the Championship if he can improve on the stupid mistakes.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
diamond82
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by diamond82 »

Max Porter is getting my vote because of his commitment and as someone else said the amount of grass he covers during the game.

Dale is right up there as well, I lost count of how many points he saved us last year and he's continued that from what i've seen this year.

Is anyone going to put it to a poll?
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

Have added a poll just for you, diamond82. If that ain't love then I'm not sure what is ;)
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

How did Stewart get there?
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.
DiamondsR4ever

Post by DiamondsR4ever »

rudolph_hucker wrote:How did Stewart get there?
Because last season he was probably our best player and a 'rock' in the centre of defence..

I Agree with many others Osano always has 1 maybe 2 points in a game where his concentration goes and he makes a mistake. Moving him to RB may mean these mistakes are less costly for the team
R.I.P Dale Roberts, Never Forgotten.
rudolph_hucker

Post by rudolph_hucker »

DiamondsR4ever wrote:
rudolph_hucker wrote:How did Stewart get there?
Because last season he was probably our best player and a 'rock' in the centre of defence..

Byrne, Tomlin, Terry, Osana all better than him last season. Stewart is just a hoof merchant, hardly a quality player. Huke is better in his position as was proven earlier this season.
You're knocked out with who I am,
Look at you now, you're all in my hands.