Southport

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Southport

Post by Formic »

It all seems very quiet on here following our first home defeat in ages, so I thought I'd kick off things regarding this weekend's game.

For some reason games at Southport seem to be memorable - the year of the pre-match deluge, the year of the Maamria tackle, the year of the seven game winning streak at the start of the season, the year of the over officious stewards - and the year with the free air display. Given the Red Arrows will be giving us a display just before kick off this season, can anyone remember which season it was we saw them before ?

Regarding the team line-up, I suspect we might have the most players available we've had all season - and JE will have to decide who gets in the 16, let alone the 11. He intimated he might move Curtis Osano - but it will be interesting to see if Corcoran or Huke are ready to be put straight back in the starting line-up to take a centre back role after their injuries. After having to play Max Porter at RB against K*ttering, we might have three or four contenders for that role on Saturday. Similarly at LB - Robbo has been playing well, but Jamie Day impressed on his first start last weekend, and Corcy didn't do a lot wrong in that role when both of them were injured.

Will JE stick with 4-4-2 if both Farrell and O'Connor are fit for the first time this season - or will he line them up alongside Rene Howe, and bring Spence into the left side of a midfield trio in a 4-3-3 ? Alternatively, given the success of teams that have put 5 in midfield at Nene Park (and by Barrow on their own patch), does he try that 4-5-1 tactic on the road - but who would we use as the front man in that formation ?

Who will be preferred in the wide right role in either of these scenarios ?
KGB

Re: Southport

Post by KGB »

That would be the season after we got relegated from the league, I dont remember too much from the game apart from someone scoring a cracking free kick for us and there being a blow up sheep on terrace.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

KGB wrote:That would be the season after we got relegated from the league, I dont remember too much from the game apart from someone scoring a cracking free kick for us and there being a blow up sheep on terrace.
I remember that Paul Watson free kick now - it was at the far end, and was one of those you had to check had really gone in. According to the report on that game, there were 100 away fans to watch Paul Hart's team - I can't see as many being there on Saturday.
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Lots of permutations for JE to ponder on team selection for Saturday. For me one positive from last week-end's debacle, was the promising future partnership of O'Conner and Howe. It was the first time for them together in a competitive game and I could see them working very well in a 4-4-2 formation, with wide players who actually play like wingers.