Joe Benjamin

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Joe Benjamin

Post by Formic »

After all the speculation about Joe Benjamin joining the Diamonds in the summer, I was surprised to see him playing for Boreham Wood at Bedford this afternoon, as I thought he'd finally gone to Ebbsfleet. Apparently he didn't last long there - and didn't exactly stand out for Boreham Wood either. Their best player was ex-Diamond Justin Cochrane, who ran the game from midfield - but Bedford gave him as much time as he liked. Another ex-Diamond Ashlee Jones was in goal for Boreham Wood, and triallist Gavin Hoyte player for Bedford.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Re: Joe Benjamin

Post by davealbon »

Formic wrote:After all the speculation about Joe Benjamin joining the Diamonds in the summer, I was surprised to see him playing for Boreham Wood at Bedford this afternoon, as I thought he'd finally gone to Ebbsfleet. Apparently he didn't last long there - and didn't exactly stand out for Boreham Wood either. Their best player was ex-Diamond Justin Cochrane, who ran the game from midfield - but Bedford gave him as much time as he liked. Another ex-Diamond Ashlee Jones was in goal for Boreham Wood, and triallist Gavin Hoyte player for Bedford.
I went to check on Nabil Shariff's progress at Banbury against Hemel Hempstead, alongside ex-Diamonds David Staff, Delroy Gordon and Jason Taylor, and managed by our former assistant manager Billy Jeffrey. Banbury were spanked 4-0, but Shariff was easily their best player. It was a strange game, Banbury must have had 70% of the possession, but didn't create a decent chance all game, whereas Hemel defended well in numbers, hit them on the break and looked like scoring every time they went forward. Shariff had four shots from the edge of the box, two of which tested the 'keeper, one that flew just wide and one well over, but Banbury's passing in the final third was so poor he rarely managed to touch the ball inside the penalty area. His hold up play was excellent and he had several runs where he beat two or three players quite easily, but Hemel had clearly highlighted him as the danger man and stuck three men on him whenever he was in or around the box. He does need to work harder on his off the ball movement, and he got quite frustrated and let his head drop after a while, but you can't blame him really as he might as well have been playing on his own!
Jason Taylor had a mixed game, showing some nice touches but not threatening at all around the box. Delroy Gordon came through our youth system a few years back but never made a first team appearance, and looked a bit of a donkey at the back, and David Staff was an early youth team graduate around the same time as Mills and Burge, who again never made the first team, but after Shariff was one of Banbury's next best players. I've just noticed on the Banbury website that he won the National Finals of Gladiators a few years back! :shock: :lol:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Joe Benjamin

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

davealbon wrote:
Formic wrote:After all the speculation about Joe Benjamin joining the Diamonds in the summer, I was surprised to see him playing for Boreham Wood at Bedford this afternoon, as I thought he'd finally gone to Ebbsfleet. Apparently he didn't last long there - and didn't exactly stand out for Boreham Wood either. Their best player was ex-Diamond Justin Cochrane, who ran the game from midfield - but Bedford gave him as much time as he liked. Another ex-Diamond Ashlee Jones was in goal for Boreham Wood, and triallist Gavin Hoyte player for Bedford.
I went to check on Nabil Shariff's progress at Banbury against Hemel Hempstead, alongside ex-Diamonds David Staff, Delroy Gordon and Jason Taylor, and managed by our former assistant manager Billy Jeffrey. Banbury were spanked 4-0, but Shariff was easily their best player. It was a strange game, Banbury must have had 70% of the possession, but didn't create a decent chance all game, whereas Hemel defended well in numbers, hit them on the break and looked like scoring every time they went forward. Shariff had four shots from the edge of the box, two of which tested the 'keeper, one that flew just wide and one well over, but Banbury's passing in the final third was so poor he rarely managed to touch the ball inside the penalty area. His hold up play was excellent and he had several runs where he beat two or three players quite easily, but Hemel had clearly highlighted him as the danger man and stuck three men on him whenever he was in or around the box. He does need to work harder on his off the ball movement, and he got quite frustrated and let his head drop after a while, but you can't blame him really as he might as well have been playing on his own!
Jason Taylor had a mixed game, showing some nice touches but not threatening at all around the box. Delroy Gordon came through our youth system a few years back but never made a first team appearance, and looked a bit of a donkey at the back, and David Staff was an early youth team graduate around the same time as Mills and Burge, who again never made the first team, but after Shariff was one of Banbury's next best players. I've just noticed on the Banbury website that he won the National Finals of Gladiators a few years back! :shock: :lol:
Rememeber watching that a few months back. Thought it could'nt be the same bloke, but could'nt remember what he looked like!