Can the club afford 'cheap games'?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Diamond Warrior

Can the club afford 'cheap games'?

Post by Diamond Warrior »

As you may know, I am now at Huddersfield University.

On Saturday, as a student, my price to watch Huddersfield Town v Bristol Rovers in League 1 will be £2. Next Tuesday, the JPT game against Peterborough is going to cost me 'a massive' £5.

As well as earlier in the season I went to Fratton Park to watch Portsmouth v Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup, again for £2.

I know we've said about slipping attendances at Nene Park, but for me to be paying this little to watch Championship and League 1 teams something really needs to be done with 'our' prices at Nene Park.

For a season ticket for Huddersfield Giants(Rugby League) next season.. (13 Home Fixtures)
Adults - £95
Concession - £75
'Young Adult' - £50
12-16 - £40
Under 12s - FREE

This doesn't take much to work out, I (Young Adult) will be paying less than £3.90 a game to watch a top division Sports Fixture, for a 'top 4' team in the country as well..
CountHermanDeBanker

Re: Can the club afford 'cheap games'?

Post by CountHermanDeBanker »

Pigman, over to you sir. What's your view on all this :?: ;) :lol:
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I remember reading somewhere recently that Schalke fans staged a protest against the club for having to pay over 13.50 to watch a game. Unheard of in Germany.

I aint being funny, but something is very wrong over here.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Surely the obvious question is "how do those clubs make money out of those offers" ?

Every club is different - examples might be :

1. Getting more in revenue from the increase in numbers than the loss caused by the reduction.
2. Attracting people to a game and seeing them return again and again
3. People paying the reduced rate bringing along others at a higher rate.
4. Extra "on-the-day" revenue through catering, programmes etc.
5. Extra "long term" revenue when those fans who become regulars buy shirts etc.

I think all of the above have been discussed and tried in a Diamonds context, and the likes of the "kids for a quid" proved successful such that the child rates are now minimal -but equally other schemes haven't worked in a Diamonds context - and have lost the club money.
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

Huddersfield have a sugar daddy pumping money into the club at the moment.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

How about 'group ticket's like they do on the trains? If say 5 or more people buy tickets together at the ticket office, some sort of discount is given..
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

I think with any scheme, you need to get the balance right to ensure that you get enough new people to make it worth your while. No point offering discounts or deals if it's mainly your regulars that take advantage and not many new people come to at least make up for that loss of income.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Not sure if the club does it at the moment but giving away free tickets to primary schools for Saturday home games would be a great way of encouraging the supporters of tomorrow. I don't think there's much point in trying to get the armchair Man U/Chelsea fans to the ground because they'd piss off as soon as we stopped playing well (as you can see from comparing the attendances of 03/04 to 06/07). Would giving away 200 free tickets to schools and opening up the Airwair end of the North Stand actually cost any money considering we'd make a fair bit on refreshments? Young children would be far more likely to catch the bug and stay a supporter than anyone else. The Under 8s for free is a good step but I feel we need to go further, especially since our home attendance is stalking at 1100 after a play-off season of all seasons!
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
dracos3

Post by dracos3 »

Diamond Warrior wrote:As you may know, I am now at Huddersfield University.

On Saturday, as a student, my price to watch Huddersfield Town v Bristol Rovers in League 1 will be £2. Next Tuesday, the JPT game against Peterborough is going to cost me 'a massive' £5.

As well as earlier in the season I went to Fratton Park to watch Portsmouth v Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup, again for £2.

I know we've said about slipping attendances at Nene Park, but for me to be paying this little to watch Championship and League 1 teams something really needs to be done with 'our' prices at Nene Park.

For a season ticket for Huddersfield Giants(Rugby League) next season.. (13 Home Fixtures)
Adults - £95
Concession - £75
'Young Adult' - £50
12-16 - £40
Under 12s - FREE

This doesn't take much to work out, I (Young Adult) will be paying less than £3.90 a game to watch a top division Sports Fixture, for a 'top 4' team in the country as well..
Such a shame they didn't get into the GF at old trafford on Saturday . . . . . although on second thought's maybe not! Makes a niceday trip to Manchester - Diamonds at 3pm and then Saints v Wigan at 3pm. Come on You Saints!
CountHermanDeBanker

Post by CountHermanDeBanker »

I would repose the subject title to

"Can the club afford to ignore offering 'cheap games'?

Money is tight, attendances are down, budgets are down, long term you have to look to increase fan bases in football, increase your customers, increase the revenue - depends if its the long game KC is in for, or a short stint putting the ship back on course then getting out at a fair price - remember, every business man has an exit strategy peeps.
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx