[ Sat 24th Sep ] v Shaw Lane AFC, KO 3pm NPL1S HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Re: [ Sat 24th Sep ] v Shaw Lane AFC, KO 3pm NPL1S HOME

Post by Dazzler »

Pitch looking good.

Image courtesy The Burger Monster - from yesterday. Pitch courtesy Mark Panter.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

every season it gets better. top work to all those involved.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Bloody good point in the end. They absolutely battered us in the second half, but we battled away gamely.
AFC R & D member number 34
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I feel really deflated after that. Not because we've drawn the game because they were a half decent outfit, but because we opted to go 5 in midfield and intentionally just sit back for an entire half.

Why?

They looked reasonably dangerous but didn't have anything like the attacking ideas Gresley had. We were causing them problems and could have had more goals. I just don't understand the tactics second half. It's September, we're not desperate for points just yet.

After a cracking, end to end first half it just became a snoozefest. There were 3 points there for us today.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Rushden123

Post by Rushden123 »

Very impressed with how resolute we were today but to spend the whole second half hanging onto a 1-0 is asking for what happened in the end. We caused them problems first half so why we went so defensive so early and left a striker totally isolated has to be questioned. Surely mcnulty in the middle with Harris and Bradshaw at right back is better than Lorraine looking like he had won a competition to play there.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Yeah, disappointingly lacklustre and defensive for the second half after a good first half performance, a fair result in the end and not a bad one against a team that's started extremely strongly, but could have easily been different if we had pushed on for more goals in the second half, I just don't think we're quite good enough defensively to defend a 1-0 lead against one of the better teams in the league for an entire half, I agree, the tactics didn't really make sense and it was a frustrating watch in the second half, especially when we have a fair few players that are a bit lazy in our team, lost count of the number of times people shouted for Nabil to chase balls and he couldn't really be bothered and Stevenson is certainly no better either.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

maybe they had half an eye on tuesdays match. not getting that second goal cost us. their number two really got some good crosses in and tested us.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I'm baffled by that second half display. Conceded possession in midfield, invited pressure from corners and long throws from their number 3 and the equaliser was inevitable when it came and we may count ourselves very very lucky not to get beaten. Certainly missed Oulton and Bunting in midfield. I will be interested to see the team selection on Tuesday evening.
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

we wondered if jack was carrying an injury , hence 5 in midfiled to protect him a but ?
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Certainly missed Oulton and Bunting in midfield. I will be interested to see the team selection on Tuesday evening.[/quote]

Your last statement sums up why we played as we did. With both Bunts and Oulton out and Curtis still not ready, just who did we have to fill that centre midfield? Tom and Brad were excellent as defensive midfield but lacked any attacking ideas or were able to hold the ball and look for options.

The equalizer was inevitable and deserved .Shaw Lane had so much possession but made very little real impact. We could have nicked it though!

At least we have Bunts back on Tuesday.....but who else will be injured!!