R.I.P Dale Roberts

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Greg(ctfc)

Re: R.I.P Dale Roberts

Post by Greg(ctfc) »

An absolute tragedy. Condolences to all at Rushden and to Dale Roberts' family.

Such a young man with the whole of his life ahead of him. Really puts football to the back of your mind when you hear news like this. Must be devastating for the players and supporters, I know how shocked and saddened I was to hear about this.

The football club (Crawley) have also added a message on the official site: http://www.crawleytownfc.com/newsdetails.php?ID=1779

Best wishes for the rest of the season, hope this is something that strengthens the players and supporters and that you go on to reach the play-offs for Dale.
lenny

Post by lenny »

Tragic news ,my heartfelt sympathy to everyone who knew Dale and to his family.
RIP
Lenny Workington
Jim

Post by Jim »

I'm not a Diamonds fan - not even much of a football fan these days to be honest, and don't even live in your area but I felt I had to add a few words in tribute to Dale.
I did actually meet Dale though. Just the once. It was at my niece Eli's 18th birthday party a year ago. Eli would claim to be Diamond's - and Dale's number one fan. I'm sure some of you will know or know of Eli - she's a very special young lady who takes some forgetting!
People have talked on this and other forums about his special relationship with the fans and I can vouch for that.
On the day of the party, if I remember rightly, he'd played an away match (Wales/West Country - can't remember, but it was a long return journey) but despite that, as a surprise for Eli, he turned up at her (and twin brother John's) party in Odell. We knew he was coming but she didn't. Somewhere I have a video of his arrival, but the memory of her whoops of joy is something I'll never forget.
I also know that wherever he was in the country - or indeed in the world when he was playing for England - he would text Eli and let her know the results. He made her feel very special.
Consequently my family and I, who as I say only met him the once, have been deeply affected by the circumstances of his death. We were all moved and impressed by his generosity and kindness; we knew what he meant to Eli (who, as you might imagine is devastated) and we so appreciate that he went the extra mile with one particular fan where perhaps the average player may not have felt the need.
He was a very special young man, a tremendous ambassador for the club and his parents can rightly feel very proud.
JOHN

Post by JOHN »

This is a message from all the people were dale grew up as a boy horden - peterlee it is lovley to see all the amount off respect and fans the big lad had. What a guy he was done our area proud hes a hero between not only all us who new him but to every one in the area now

RIP DALE HORDENS HERO!!! XXXXXXXXX

DALE ROBERTS HORDENS NO1
diamondem

Post by diamondem »

Jim wrote:I'm not a Diamonds fan - not even much of a football fan these days to be honest, and don't even live in your area but I felt I had to add a few words in tribute to Dale.
I did actually meet Dale though. Just the once. It was at my niece Eli's 18th birthday party a year ago. Eli would claim to be Diamond's - and Dale's number one fan. I'm sure some of you will know or know of Eli - she's a very special young lady who takes some forgetting!
People have talked on this and other forums about his special relationship with the fans and I can vouch for that.
On the day of the party, if I remember rightly, he'd played an away match (Wales/West Country - can't remember, but it was a long return journey) but despite that, as a surprise for Eli, he turned up at her (and twin brother John's) party in Odell. We knew he was coming but she didn't. Somewhere I have a video of his arrival, but the memory of her whoops of joy is something I'll never forget.
I also know that wherever he was in the country - or indeed in the world when he was playing for England - he would text Eli and let her know the results. He made her feel very special.
Consequently my family and I, who as I say only met him the once, have been deeply affected by the circumstances of his death. We were all moved and impressed by his generosity and kindness; we knew what he meant to Eli (who, as you might imagine is devastated) and we so appreciate that he went the extra mile with one particular fan where perhaps the average player may not have felt the need.
He was a very special young man, a tremendous ambassador for the club and his parents can rightly feel very proud.
I can only reiterate what Dale has done for Ellie in particular since he has been at the club. Whilst ALL the players are brilliant with Ellie- Dale went the extra mile which was typical as him as a person. I also met his mum, Isobel, at a number of matches and you could see the closeness of the family. My heart goes out to Isobel and all of Dales family and the lads. I can't imagine what they are going through. Dale you will never ever be forgotten. RIP Dale x
Pete
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Pete »

This still feels like a dream. I cried like a baby when I was watching the local news last night. I cannot help but wonder how he kept his demons at bay and I feel completely gutted and sick to find out that he was in such a dark place. I didn’t know Dale but I think that because of how obviously nice a guy he was, you couldn’t help but feel like you did know him a little. His seemingly-all-male fan club and natural affinity with the crowds only helped matters!

A few stand-out things that I will remember forever of him include his celebration when Constable skied Oxford’s first penalty at their place last year, his booming cheeky grin to a member of that aforementioned fan club (a male fan, I needless have to add) who said “love you Dale” as he ran over to pick the ball up before a goal kick at Tamworth, his jumping up and down whenever the ‘jump up if you hate Kettrin’ song was sung and of course his shouts of “SQUEEZE!” to his defence.

Dale is up there with the very best of blokes to have pulled the shirt on and it was an honour to watch him play.

I really hope that he is now at peace.

Sleep tight big man and keep smiling up there. I'll miss you.
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
SunderlandFan

Post by SunderlandFan »

Hello. I just wanted to come on here and add a little tribute of my own to Dale.

I've known Dale personally through a friend for about 4 years and although I only met him a handful of times I can tell you that he really was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. I knew from the first time I met him he was one of the good guys.

In a game full of big ego's Dale was the complete opposite and only talked about himself if you asked him. Instead he was always keen to know how you were doing and see if there was anything new in your life.

Of course I was keen to know how he was getting on and how his career was progressing every time I saw him and I always kept an eye out to see if he'd got a start when he was at Forest and later see what the results were at Rushden and Diamonds after his transfer.

Like any young footballer he was keen to progress his career and move up the leagues but at the same time I know he was very proud to be playing for Rushden and Diamonds and he was over the moon when he got his permanent move to the club.

Sadly we will never know what the future held for Dale but I am confident; as I’m sure all Rushden and Diamonds fans are; that Dale had a fantastic career ahead of him. His death is not only a great loss to his family and friends but to Rushden and Diamonds football club and the football world in general.

I am very pleased to hear that the club will be retiring the number 1 shirt in his honour. I feel there is no higher fitting tribute that could be paid to this promising young sportsman and one of life’s true gentlemen.

He will be sadly missed.

RIP Dale.
Greg

Post by Greg »

There is not much i could say that has not already been said. A sad loss.

RDFC
Englandfans
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

Only just got my account activated, so haven't been able to post yet.
It's all been said on here really, some great tributes to a real RDFC legend.
R.I.P. Dale we will never forget you.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101