[ Sat 15th Dec ] v Buckingham Town KO 3pm (@Bletchley) UCL1

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Bobos

Re: [ Sat 15th Dec ] v Buckingham Town KO 3pm (@Bletchley) U

Post by Bobos »

olio wrote:Just got home to Scunthorpe after the game. It was my first game I've been able to get to since the Rushden & Higham game at the start of October, and I loved every minute of it today. I couldn't fault any of the 14 lads wearing yellow today. Lance Allen fitted in well on the wing, tracked back well, had a couple of mazy runs, and deserved his goal. McBride and Merrill, as usual, had great games, and it's fantastic to see how seamlessly Joe can fit into so many different positions. Deaks at the back was superb; not just because of his goals, but he dealt with the little that was thrown at him with impeccable calmness. And I'm sure Starms will be just as pleased with the clean sheet as the 9 goals. But for me, Jake Newman was absolutely fantastic. His first touch, the way he held up the ball and brought others into play, the runs he made in behind, the way he harried the defenders, the way he finished both goals really well. I could go on, because he really was that good. Fantastic display from him. I know you can say that Buckingham were absolutely dreadful (which trust me, they were!!), but we still had to put in the performance and stick the ball in the net. The day was wrapped up beautifully when Hopey almost sympathetically and apologetically pulled back his left foot to sidefoot that one in at the end :lol: I got drenched, but boy oh boy was it worth it to watch that brilliant team display from the lads. So proud right now :D :D :D

Brilliant, glad you enjoyed it................it's fun following AFCR&D isn't it 8-) :P :D :) :o
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

I knew today was going to be a goal fest, I'd predicted 0-7 to be honest so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised we bettered that. I had a bit of a family crisis today so even if I hadn't planned to be away, I would have missed it. :(

Delighted with the result though and can't wait to see the video highlights.

I love following AFCR&D :D

Oh, and my thanks to Bobos for the text updates, where I was Twitter was well flaky so your regular updates were very much appreciated - thanks mate !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Noddy

Post by Noddy »

BartonRaz wrote:Just want to say well done to Jake Newman also. Had a tough start here but he's now scored in 7 successive games and looks a real class act. Is that a Diamonds record (former club included)?
Darren Collins scored in six consecutive games back in Jan/Feb 1998 and that was the RDFC record I believe, but don't forget Alfie Taylor has also scored in seven consecutive starts, so both Jake and Alfie are currently on the same tally. Both are also now on 11 goals, so the rivalry should keep the totals rising.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

absolute quality from the first minute to the last, i think that perhaps we have grown a bit as a team over the last few weeks, the kind of bonding that only comes as playing as a team no matter how good the individual players are.

Really looking forward to Bugbrooke next week now.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Bobos

Post by Bobos »

can only echo that...........brilliant day and the lads responded well to last weeks result, we look much closer as a club, than ever before 8-)
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Pigman »

bozzer wrote:absolute quality from the first minute to the last, i think that perhaps we have grown a bit as a team over the last few weeks, the kind of bonding that only comes as playing as a team no matter how good the individual players are.

Really looking forward to Bugbrooke next week now.
I think as well that we may be reaping the rewards of going away to the North east last week and staying overnight etc - its helped with the team bonding, the result and the way the supporters reponded to that defeat, by showing how proud they were of the performance they put in, all goes to building up the team - remember, we started from scratch just a few months ago !!

I'm incredibly proud of everyone associated with the club and yesterday's kind of result has, in my mind, been coming anyway. I've said as much to several people over the past few weeks.

I can't wait for Bugbrook now, that is a massive game. I know people say there is no such thing as a six pointer this early in the season, but in my mind this is. I know people say don't heap pressure on the players, but they only have to look at the league table to see how important it is. They have a game in hand on us and can currently leap frog us into fourth, beat them and that becomes a four point gap - something to built on !

I can see Sileby, Spencer and Eynesbury all winning (Oadby appear to not have a game - weird !), so we need to keep pace. The busy Christmas period always sorts out the men from the boys and when we face Oadby on the 5th January it'll either be as one of the pace setters or the chasing pack, I have confidence in our lads that it'll be the former.

Yesterday was great (so I've been told ;) ), now we need to do it all again next week !! I'll be at this one, I can guarantee it won't be a goal fest..........and no, I'm not staying away ;)

Let's hope we travel in big numbers for this one and are as loud and proud as we were at Ashington !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I've added Stephanie's pics to the match report. (EDIT: I've added some extra ones on top of the original set).

I echo what Pigman says above - and when you get to see Jake Newman's interview from after the game it will confirm a lot of what has been said about the trip to the North East. He's really settling in well now.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

How did the ground get passed by the UCL?

I've seen better park pitches!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

I think it's probably a case of the UCL not wanting to lose teams, although I can't see what benefit that team is getting out of it. They need to get more experience in games in which they can be competitive.
RushdenTillIDie

Post by RushdenTillIDie »

I know I must be patient but any news on the highlights? itching to see the goals as I was unable to attend :)