Demolition of Nene Park?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Demolition of Nene Park?

Post by Dbsl »

Last night I overheard a conversation between two local Business men in Higham, one of which; father is a long time Diamonds supporter.

They were discussing the fact that the demolition of Nene Park starts next week!!

The view was that as a flattened Nene Park, planning permission would be easier to push through.

It could of course be idle chat but they sounded quite convincing
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 40 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Re: Demolition of Nene Park?

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

http://www.northantstelegraph.co.uk/new ... -1-7767776

It won't be next week, if at all. Key words in the first paragraph "looks set".

I can't see that having the stadium there or not would change the decision on planning permission as the change of use and affect on the habitat would be the key factors.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 77 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

Will be a shame to see it go but it can't just sit and rot forever.

My biggest question would be could we have an opportunity to take home something from the ground ie a couple of seats from the stadium. I'm sure some people would love the chance to have there season ticket seat or any photos that may still be held in the ground.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Whilst the stadium serves no purpose in its current state, the likes of Rockingham Road are in a far more dangerous state IMO. Let's not forget that the real reason for this is so that a certain person can push through a redevelopment of the area and further line his pockets.

Done my grieving over Nene Park during the course of the last 5/6 years. The demolition doesn't bother me, but the above does.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Not always that simple to redevelop a demolished football ground as this cautionary tale of the old Victoria Ground in Stoke demonstrates. It has remained vacant for nearly 19 years and has 'flooding issues'. Sound familiar? Incidentally the owner is St Modwen Developments who developed the adjacent McDonalds/Lidl site next to the Dog & Duck.

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/develope ... story.html
Frogerz

Post by Frogerz »

Sad to see it go. Let's hope it gets bulldozed then planning permission is refused again.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

The club have summed it up perfectly. Nene Park is not Rushden & Diamonds, we are.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 23 times
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Not massively bothered TBH, I think most people knew it was going to be demolished at some point. It would be very funny if planning permission was still rejected after demolition.

Hopefully this can put some pressure on ENC to look at a solution for the club in the area, but I won't be holding my breath.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

I'm not going to lie as much as i love AFC i miss nene park, we knew this day would come but when its gone we can draw a line under it and move on and hopefully one day have a new easy to maintain ground. the club statement got it spot on, we will never forget the many many memories but its the the club which is where our heart is.