Lets think out of the box

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Harry Flashman

Lets think out of the box

Post by Harry Flashman »

Thinking out of the proverbial box Our stand out players pre season have been our 5 defenders which is no surprise. Jack will struggle to get in the back 4 but is having outstanding pre season.
He has clearly worked very hard to be in contention.
SO we need to play those 5.
If we dont go 3 centre halves which is my preference has Jack the necessary skills to play a 1 man holding midfield player.
He can tackle, head, pass adequately and has boundless energy and enthusiasm. Ok he is one footed but I think he could be our N’Golo Kantè
Discuss!
Oh and sign today’s number 11.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Re: Lets think out of the box

Post by davealbon »

No. Just no.

I'd rather give an opportunity to an U21 or U18 than fit a square peg in a round hole.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Harry Flashman

Post by Harry Flashman »

Oh dont get me wrong I would love to see an U18/21 coming through and playing. Unfortunately I havent seen a trialist this pre season who has the attributes. There are a few showing creative skills which is positive.
The number 6 trialist appears to be a holding player and may be the answer but sadly lacks any real pace.
A defensive screen in front of our back 4 is a crucial position closing space down, breaking play up and play simple ball to more creative players.
Following the peg metaphor Jack just needs a few edges taking off and he is a round peg for that hole.
Maybe then the manager could pick a couple of attacking creative players who are able to get forward more consistently rather than very similar efficient but hardly exciting players we have on the field at the moment. We would need a very special number 9 to have any success working in the isolation Tom experienced last season.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

For my money I'd get rid of a holding midfielder in favour of two all action centre midfield players. On their day, Hicks and Faz would be superb. So I'd stick with the best 4 from 5 as a back 4, sort the 2 wingers out, and add a new striker. Got the feeling for a big man who can hold off challenges and dominate in the box.
At this moment I can't get excited for the new season, the side still feels too far from a starting XI.
AFC R & D member number 34
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Three of Diamonds wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:33 am ......the side still feels too far from a starting XI.
Whilst I can understand Andy Peaks problem there does appear to be an inordinate amount of un named trialists being used in the pre-season friendlies this year in contrast from other seasons apart, of course, from our inaugural 2012/13 senior season. The danger of this approach is the confirmed squad players will not have given been much of an opportunity to gel with systems /formations and therefore I expect the start of the competition proper to be somewhat of a slow burner.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

Harry Flashman wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:35 amA defensive screen in front of our back 4 is a crucial position closing space down, breaking play up and play simple ball to more creative players.
Following the peg metaphor Jack just needs a few edges taking off and he is a round peg for that hole.
The defensive screen depends on the formation. If we're playing 3 in the middle then I agree, it's a must, but not if we play 442. Either way, I totally disagree about Jack's potential as a holding midfielder. I rate him highly as a centre back (although not as highly as Bully or Collard) but his ball control and distribution are woeful.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297