[ Sat 12th Oct ] v Coalville Town, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Re: TODAY! [ Sat 12th Oct ] v Coalville Town, KO 3pm SLPDC HOME

Post by BartonRaz »

sandringhamdiamond wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:39 pm The club needs to be proactive, no-one wants the club to go mad and start throwing money about but a small increase in the budget is needed. I believe the management and sadly many of the players have now run their course with the club. Of the senior players only Collard, Reynolds, a fit Dolman, Brown, Acquaye, Hicks are at the standard we need, Dove and Slinn need to be given their chance still.
Not sure that I agree with who you feel is at the standard we need. Most are good enough. We are missing one or two, but the problem is, we've been missing one or two for a very, very long time now.

If you exclude the Leiston game against a side/club that's clearly in turmoil on the pitch, then we haven't scored more than 2 goals in a league game since Bedworth (A) in January. Since then, again excluding Leiston, we've averaged 0.92 goals per game in the 26 league games since, not to mention failing to score in the Hillier Cup Final or FA Cup games which occurred during that period. Sorry, but this has gone on too long now. I really feel for Ryan Dove who unexpectedly, but deservedly, has made himself the first choice striker, but he's got no help at all.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

Trying hard not to give a knee jerk reaction and scream for Peaksy out, but I'm having a hard time not to be quite pessimistic about the upcoming weeks and months right now to be honest. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear this winless run will stretch way beyond 10 games as like already said, it's hard to see where the next win is going to come from and our only win since the first three games of the season has been that scraped win over a poor St Ives team.

People will keep on saying we don't have the resources which is clear yes, but questions have to be asked as to why we appear to have gone backwards this calendar year instead of making progress and it has been alarming how lightweight we are in midfield and attack, Ryan Dove's workrate today I thought was good, but ultimately he clearly isn't good enough to be the lone striker against a defence like Coalville's and lets be honest, Tom or Jack wouldn't have done any better. Morgan Roberts was a positive at least, really impressive in the first half, the sort of player we desperately need right now, but he just didn't have the quality around him to be able to really make an impact.

There have been a few occasions over the past few seasons where I began to think maybe it was time for a change in management and a fresh start, only for Peaksy to turn it round (the last few months of our SL Division 1 promotion campaign for example) and I hope he can again this time, but I don't know how he will as I can't see us finishing any higher than mid-lower table at this point.
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

diamondsteve wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:52 pm
sandringhamdiamond wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:09 pm
diamondsteve wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:52 pm Out of interest where’s Brady now ? Got a job?
Academy manager at cobblers, very unlikely he will leave a full time job to come to us, hes more likely to get the cobblers managers job soon listening to their fans
He could surely do Saturdays tho . And carry on at the cobblers
You are massively underestimating the time and effort that Peaksy puts into this club. He regularly goes to watch our forthcoming opposition, and is at training twice a week, not to mention the academy team he runs as well.

I'm not saying he doesn't have his shortcomings as a first team manager at this level, but if/when he does go, we're very unlikely to find someone as invested in the club as him.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Therushden97
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Therushden97 »

davealbon wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:11 pm
sandringhamdiamond wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Academy manager at cobblers, very unlikely he will leave a full time job to come to us, hes more likely to get the cobblers managers job soon listening to their fans
You are massively underestimating the time and effort that Peaksy puts into this club. He regularly goes to watch our forthcoming opposition, and is at training twice a week, not to mention the academy team he runs as well.

I'm not saying he doesn't have his shortcomings as a first team manager at this level, but if/when he does go, we're very unlikely to find someone as invested in the club as him.

Doesn’t really sit well that he watches our opponents and we somehow still come out with no tactics and look so poor against them.peaksy is very committed to the club no taking that away from him but why should we be nice and keep someone around who looks like he can’t take us any further.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 100 times

Post by Olly »

On a brighter note, have a look at the current (at 21:54) BBC Football Front page, can you spot anything!!! :biggrin:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50027904
Arguably the day's quirkiest tale saw AFC Rushden & Diamonds - a phoenix club formed after the dissolution of Rushden & Diamonds in 2011 - offered free entry to any fans wearing traditional Bavarian dress, marking the annual German festival Oktoberfest...
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I totally disagree with all this talk of replacing the manager. Peaksy will go if and when HE feels he has taken the club as far as he can. What he gives to the club, as Dave Albon says, is far more than a lot of people realise. It would be a real shame if he were not here to see his youngsters break into the first team over the next 18 months.

We all know that with Step 3 we have reached our limit. Before the season started all the talk was of consolidation...whats changed.? The summer signings (or lack of them) reflected the fact that we are still consolidating and have a limited budget. Step 2 is way out of our reach, you only have to look up the A6 to see the difference in Steps 3 and 2. Last season for all but the final 2 months we achieved way above our expectations.

As also has been said I believe we are only a strong midfielder and a striker short of being a top 10 team, flirting once again with the play off places.

On todays match I was very impressed with Roberts particularly in the first half and thought that Ben Farrell was near his old self again. Sadly Cooper
was disappointing. His kicking and distribution was poor and he lacks the athleticism of Heath.

For Tuesday hopefully Sam will be back and Hicks can revert to midfield. NGT contributed next to nothing so a chance for Akubuine to come back in.
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:00 pm I totally disagree with all this talk of replacing the manager. Peaksy will go if and when HE feels he has taken the club as far as he can. What he gives to the club, as Dave Albon says, is far more than a lot of people realise. It would be a real shame if he were not here to see his youngsters break into the first team over the next 18 months.
Since when does the manager run the club?
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

Therushden97 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:21 pm
davealbon wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:11 pm

Doesn’t really sit well that he watches our opponents and we somehow still come out with no tactics and look so poor against them.peaksy is very committed to the club no taking that away from him but why should we be nice and keep someone around who looks like he can’t take us any further.
I wasn't necessarily saying we should. Only that there is much more to the job than rocking up on a Saturday afternoon for a couple of hours. We shouldn't underestimate how big a job it will be to replace Peaksy once the time comes for him to move on.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
rdusher
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by rdusher »

Well... It seems that for the first time in our short history we've come to a crossroads where something seriously needs to change.

Firstly, Peaksy has been great for us and I don't doubt his commitment to the club, and I don't doubt that he'll be hurting as much as the rest of us this evening. I think he genuinely loves the club, but something is seriously wrong right now and it can't continue.

Today was terrible, and last week, although thankfully I wasn't there, was unforgivable, but this has been going on far too long. I think the last two results have definitely served to ignite the frustrations, but our form for the majority of this season has been underwhelming.

Totally understand that our budget isn't the greatest, but we've got the core of a decent squad that should be competing much better than we currently are. The majority are the same squad as last season, who did well in this league, but I think our additions have been poor. For me, Slinn has been a good addition, and Acquaye, who is without doubt our best chance of turning a game, could be regarded as a new signing given his lack of involvement last year, but beyond that I don't think there's anybody else who has come in who strengthens us. NGT looked decent in his first couple of games, but his end product is poor and plays as though he already knows his place in the lineup is safe.

Up front, we've got real problems. Tom's form hasn't been great, but I'd have him starting every time given what we've got. I feel sorry for Dove, as he works hard, and I can't fault his commitment, but I just don't see him as good enough for this level. The other trouble we have is that him and Tom are too similar, both big top men, but neither bigger than most of the centre backs in this league, so we win very little in the air. We need one of them up top with somebody to run off them, somebody with some pace who can threaten a defence by running at them. Jack Bowen definitely isn't that guy, we'd be better off playing with 10 men!! The fact that a teenager who turned up yesterday was today's MOM is a pretty damning verdict on our ability right now.

These players cost money, and I know our budget isn't the greatest, but when we whimper out of the FA Cup (a decent source of revenue) in the way that we did, then we're not helping ourselves. The game against Enfield we should have won, but when we went a goal down, Peaks made 3 like for like substitutions that were never going to enhance our chances of scoring, and I think this has been his biggest downfall. He never seems to be able to change a game when it's going against us. His subs, when he eventually makes them, are never effective. Today there should have been a change as soon as the first goal was scored. Dove was never going to get anything playing on his own against three big defenders, but Peaksy waited until 10 minutes after their second before doing anything. Coalville had already brought on more defensive players by the time we started looking to change to something more attack minded.

It definitely seems that Lamby leaving has had a big effect on the squad, and perhaps the team played more for him than they did Peaks. If that's the case, then I'd say the writing has to be on the wall. I'd love to see him turn it round, because he's given us so much, but I think he needs a result on Tuesday to stand any chance of keeping any of the fanbase onside, and I've got a sneaking suspicion that that little shit Rhys Hoenes is going to absolutely carve us to bits.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

YoungDiamond wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:09 pm
sussexdiamond wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:00 pm I totally disagree with all this talk of replacing the manager. Peaksy will go if and when HE feels he has taken the club as far as he can. What he gives to the club, as Dave Albon says, is far more than a lot of people realise. It would be a real shame if he were not here to see his youngsters break into the first team over the next 18 months.
Since when does the manager run the club?
Well I don't think he's just going to leave thinking he's done all he can. Like pretty much every manager, they're all under the belief that they can turn things round when results arnt going their way. This run of fixtures, which are not going to get easier, are going to be real tough to get any positives results from. Thing we're looking for now is performances and even look like scoring goals. I'm a bit worried that this is not going to come any time soon however.