[ Tue 15th Oct ] v Tamworth FC, KO 7:45pm SLPDC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
gibston
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Re: [ Tue 15th Oct ] v Tamworth FC, KO 7:45pm SLPDC AWAY

Post by gibston »

diamondsteve wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 pm Too hard to take now .When the opposition fans are saying

“They are such a poor side” “didn’t even need to take it out of 2nd gear” “could of been 6 against them”

Yeah let’s just carry on like this yeah!? We have 3 defenders missing which is a reason . But we now have a relegation side, not sure how it’s going to change even when the defenders come back . Why Cooper again? Made a fault for the 1st . And make first sub 75th 3-0 down but suppose we didn’t have anyone different which could of change the game anyway!! But who’s fault is that I wonder?!

This is sickening . Hate being the whipping boys of the league. Maybe we should of stayed in step 4 if our budget is so f**king shit. Rant over
Seriously!! Surprised you went to be fair
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Post by Dowlo »

Flat. Devoid of any real attacking ideas. As soon as we got in the Tamworth half, our tactic was to hit long hopeful balls into the wingers and CF's for them to chase. Rather than try some patient build up play on a surface that leant itself to just that! We could have honestly been there until this time next week and still not have scored.

I know we have injuries etc, but I honestly believe it is criminal to play your most attacking play maker at RB and then only push him forward in the 85th minute being 3nil down. If we don't have enough defenders why not switch it to 3,5,2?

Dont get me wrong games against sides like Tamworth wont define our season and in the 2nd half we did improve slightly. But they were always in cruise control, and we are just so one dimensional and predictable to play against it is a worry.

I'm not going to jump up and down and demand we change the managment etc as that's not the way we should be operating as a club, but a major rethink in tatics and how we set up has to be had. 14 goals conceeded including 2x 3nil defeats on the spin is a worry. We desperately need some more midfield grit and attacking flare added to the side, but sadly that doesn't come cheap anymore.

A long tough slog awaits this year perhaps. Lets hope the players, fans and management have the stomach for the fight. It wont be pretty and attendances may suffer as a result sadly. However it's all part of being a suppporter. We've had it good ever since 2011, perhaps now is the time the players and club need our support even more to get us out of this rut we find ourselves in.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

This season was always going to be our most challenging on and off the pitch.I think last night showed the huge gap that there is in this league, Tamworth have recruited well over the pre season and they have been able to afford to. To have a player of Hoeness quality on the bench shows what we are up against, one of their players turned us down last season. We can not recruit at that level Tamworth Coalville and Hednesford are by far the best teams we have played this season.

With the suspensions and holiday we are playing 4 players under 19, and players are having to play out of position to cover, you then lose that quality elsewhere.

I personally think we are a victim of our own success last season, last year at Tamworth with a full strength team and them not quite on it we forced a draw, change those two variants slightly and 3-0 was right.

You cant fault any player for their effort last night at all.

This club has to be sustainable and that won’t be risked, as the manager stated in his interview he has been trying to improve the squad, however there are parameters to work within and this makes it very difficult.

On to Rushall who have lost 2 on the bounce, including last night at home against barwell, where we won! Every game is tough and a bit of realisation and support is what we need now.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

yes we were second best in most departments last night but until they scored we were still in the game. Just moments before that first goal we could so easily have scored and who knows what might have transpired. Talking before the game their radio guy did say that if Tamworth fall behind or dont score early on then they do get panicky.
The second goal was the killer as at present we are struggling to get one goal let alone two. But when things are going against you (for whatever reason) a wicked deflection sends us in at ht two down.
What was encouraging was we didn't let our heads drop and kept battling away and in the second half we had chances to get a goal and put doubt into the Tamworth players minds. One piece of brilliance from Bully epitomized all that he is about, he blocked an attack, moved forward 10 yards did the same again and then did it yet again before putting in a great pass.

Regarding the substitution at 75 mins. Just as we were about to make that substitution was the time that Bully was extremely harshly deemed to concede the penalty. Had that change been made a minute earlier at 0-2 we could have pulled a goal back, as we did but it was disallowed. That would have given a nervy finish for Tamworth, but football is full of ifs and buts.

For me there were some "green shoots of recovery" and I am feeling a bit better this morning than I was on saturday evening. bring on the Olympic!!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

bozzer wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:02 am This club has to be sustainable and that won’t be risked, as the manager stated in his interview he has been trying to improve the squad, however there are parameters to work within and this makes it very difficult.
I appreciate that this might not be something that would be shared on this forum, but it would be interesting to know why our budget is so inferior compared to many/most of the competition in this league, which seems to be becoming more and more obvious through things various people are saying. Attendances are high compared to most, we have our own facilities, our own bar, on the face of it to the average fan they might be scratching their head which is understandable and that frustration gets borne out on here, on social media and by fans at the games.

I realise that many clubs in this league are probably not acting responsibly from a sustainability standpoint, Coalville are probably an example of that and are presumably relying on a backer given their low attendances. Peterborough Sports another. We must be sustainable and spent a lot of money last year getting the ground up to scratch. Are we trying to top up our reserves this season and is that a reason why the budget is low? Or are we just spending within our means? Maybe there are other reasons too.

I think a bit of communication regarding the budget, not necessarily what our budget is but some information on how it compares to others and why our budget is at the level it is, might take a bit of pressure off Peaksy and make fans think a bit differently.

Making our first sub on 80 minutes immediately after going 3-0 down will forever be incredibly annoying though, regardless of whether the budget is £0 or £100,000!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Great Question Raz, as it's this kind of information that puts things into perspective.

We of course have decent attendances, however because of our make up we also have to do things the in a certain way and that can give us a disadvantage one example is on our gate price we have to pay VAT on it, we have a proper PAYE system so if there is additional cost there (or not as competitive), We ground share and therefore have a rent to pay as we don't own our own ground. Any profit from the academy is put back into the academy and not used to fund the first team, and finally and probably the biggest, we don't one or a number of money men financing the first team. You throw all that together and there's the challenge we have.

We knew it was going to be hard this season and have and are continually looking for areas to increase income, we suggested an increase in gate price, we increased the prices for food, we have tried to organise events like Oktoberfest to gather further income from different pockets, we are looking at where we can improve margins in every area. Its not for me to suggest who is financing which clubs, however i would suggest even the best supported clubs are not sustainable just from their fanbase.

In my opinion i think we have got great value out of our resources to date and have achieved more than i would have expected and that is a lot down to the manager, and we need to find new ideas, new areas of income to sustain ourselves at this level for a while and that will take time. When we came into this league i was looking forward to going to away to tamworth and Stourbridge etc knowing we aren't the favourites and they should beat us and the pressure is on them, and that we haven't got anything to lose, last year perhaps raised expectations maybe and that seems to have disappeared.
AFC R&D Member No. 67