[ Tue 22nd Oct ] v Banbury Utd, KO 7:45pm SLCP HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Re: [ Tue 22nd Oct ] v Banbury Utd, KO 7:45pm SLCP HOME

Post by YoungDiamond »

Credit to Peaksy. Spot on with the team selection with the necessary changes being made after Saturday. The front 3 looked very dangerous and the back 5 looked back to their best. Thought the 2 centre mids struggled at times but battled well towards the latter stages to earn a much needed win.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Post by BartonRaz »

There was some shoots of recovery at the weekend, but this was a lot more like it. The performance reminded me of a home win against Coalville early on last season. We played the ball around quickly with purpose and whilst you could tell the opposition were decent, we always looked a threat.

MacLeod looked good and didn't give their back line a moments peace. It also looked as though he very quickly formed a decent partnership with Dove and those playing just behind.

For me though, it was Roberts who really stood out. I'm a bit wary of us becoming too reliant on him as he's surely going to get recalled or moved to a higher division club if he keeps playing like that. First half he was almost unplayable, second half he drifted out of the game a bit. I couldn't work out if that was our doing as we seemed to switch the side he was on, or if Banbury were able to nulify him.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

BartonRaz wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:30 am I couldn't work out if that was our doing as we seemed to switch the side he was on, or if Banbury were able to nulify him.
Yes he was very good. Bearing in mind that the Banbury player who was sent off late on was Morgan’s elder brother, Connor, you would have thought Banbury’s management should have been fully aware of the lad’s attributes.
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Real game of two halves last night; first half, both attacks were on top, and both defences looked rather suspect. Second half, Banbury changed to a back 3 and threw everything at us, but despite all their possession and pressure we defended superbly and hardly gave them a sniff. I can't remember another game where we got in so many blocks - a stark contrast to the Bromsgrove and Coalville games where we just folded under the pressure.

Will be interesting to see how both sides line up on Satuday. I'd be amazed if Banbury don't start with the back 3 this time, in which case I hope we change our shape too, as it could be a long afternoon otherwise.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Also have to add that what a massive difference have Sam Brown back has on the team. Such a solid and reliable player to have in the team, who must have been close to motm. Much more like it from the team, which reminded me of some of the gritty and determined performances from previous seasons. Like already mentioned, a somewhat slight change in personel or formation may be needed ahead of Saturday, so we're not too predictable or be found out.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Funny how things turn out, for us to pick up 4 points from our next two games after another heavy defeat at Tamworth was unimaginable, yet we then go on to get a very respectable point away to Rushall and then a huge win against a strong in form team who had only lost 1 since the 26th August (whereas we hadn't won since then). Massive credit to the management team and the players for such a drastic turnaround and the first half performance was superb despite the missed penalty, Macleod looked a superb as well, defences won't enjoy facing him this season if he performs like that consistently.

Second half did get nervy towards the end and I thought Banbury were bound to score, but it really did help having that back four all back together, they were brilliant, yes on another day Banbury could have easily got something from the game, but they didn't and I was delighted that our performance got the victory it deserved. Despite recent results, we once again showed that we are capable of going toe-to-toe with the best in this division on our day, we just need to find a way of performing like that on a regular basis, something we didn't do last season.

Oh and would love to be able to keep Roberts for a while longer, much like Hopkins last season, he has the talent to make that key bit of difference that we have desperately needed this season (and towards the back end of last season).
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

I think Peaksy deserves a lot of credit for Tuesday, he was positive in his thinking and took the game to them - after the criticism he’s had recently, and the run of iffy results, that was a brave thing to do! Credit where it’s due!

The first half was right up there, the second half they came back at us, you’d expect a good side to do that, and they are that! They could have gone top with a win remember!

We’re never going to get things always go our own way, but the way we stood up to them was brilliant. Having Zac and Sam back was a tremendous boost! Hope Sam is okay, I think he took a dead leg which I’m sure has stiffened up since the match!

The penalty miss could of rocked us on our heels, but the resolve showed by the guys in the second half was great to see!

Highly enjoyable match! Let’s hope we can get the same result on Saturday, a run in the Trophy is just what we need! I expect a far tighter match than Tuesday, but two cracking results against top sides - shows we can stand toe to toe with these teams if the mindset is right!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

Highlights and Interviews