Favourite/Best AFC R&D XI

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 140 times

Re: Favourite/Best AFC R&D XI

Post by BartonRaz »

Dowlo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:33 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Pretty sure 4 of those didn't make 10 appearances - Bradshaw, Spriggs, Lobjoit and Lawless. 3, maybe 4 of the others are nailed on though. You've got my wingers, and my right back, although you're playing my right back out of position!
Sorry I missed the bit that said 10 or more appearances (DOH!)

I purely put Wilkinson at LB to accommodate Bradshaw as well!
Alternative options at left back are Luke Hipwell and Jason Lee who have both stepped in in Sam Brown's absence down the years. Hipwell gets some credit for playing in the Hillier Cup Final win @ Sixfields having been out in the cold for months, so I'd have to go for Jason Lee by default. Wasn't a bad player but was involved in the play-off final defeat, and I do remember a game away at Lincoln United where he passed to Lincoln players more than our own throughout the 90 minutes.

To be honest we've had very few bad defensive players over the past 7 years. It gets really tough trying to pick bad central defenders.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Not easy this and made harder given some of our best wide players didn’t score enough and couldn’t cross a ball. So there has to be an argument for Gearing or Rogers in there if we are comprising a team.
I’ll start with my worst as a little easier.
Shorunmu
Wilkinson Gillingwater McDonald(C) Lee

McNulty Dent Stevenson Liburd

Okechukwu Boateng
Bench
Parsons, Brown-Hill, Cross, Ling, Liversedge, Orasz, Gilsenan.

I know I’ve used some poetic license on positions but if I hadn’t some worthy candidates may have missed out. I had a lot of time for some of the above but unfortunately they just didn’t do it on the pitch (for us anyway)
Had to squeeze Stevenson in as for those who missed Aylesbury away in the mud you saw nothing from him, Gilly was a genuine utility player who would make the above team in any position except Goalkeeper, Liburd if half as good as he thought he was would have been twice as good as he actually was and I’m amazed if Aynsley Isn’t the 1st on everybody’s team sheet.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Brownie wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm Not easy this and made harder given some of our best wide players didn’t score enough and couldn’t cross a ball. So there has to be an argument for Gearing or Rogers in there if we are comprising a team.
Shorunmu

Okechukwu Boateng
Bench

I know I’ve used some poetic license on positions but if I hadn’t some worthy candidates may have missed out. I had a lot of time for some of the above but unfortunately they just didn’t do it on the pitch (for us anyway)
Had to squeeze Stevenson in as for those who missed Aylesbury away in the mud you saw nothing from him, Gilly was a genuine utility player who would make the above team in any position except Goalkeeper, Liburd if half as good as he thought he was would have been twice as good as he actually was and I’m amazed if Aynsley Isn’t the 1st on everybody’s team sheet.
A few others that come to mind are, George cox, Steve spriggs, spencer weir-daley, daniel grainger. All seemed to be promising and had previous records, but we're total flops.
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:38 pm A few others that come to mind are, George cox, Steve spriggs, spencer weir-daley, daniel grainger. All seemed to be promising and had previous records, but we're total flops.
Don’t think any of those made enough appearances to be considered. Need to have at least 10. Sorry, them’s the rules. :hehe:

SWD I felt we stitched him up rather than the other way around as I felt he didn’t suit our style of play. Grainger on the other hand would have been a shoe-in had he played enough, but only 2 senior appearances to his name.

Brownie

Post by Brownie »

TheIncognitoKid wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:38 pm
Brownie wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:51 pm Not easy this and made harder given some of our best wide players didn’t score enough and couldn’t cross a ball. So there has to be an argument for Gearing or Rogers in there if we are comprising a team.
Shorunmu

Okechukwu Boateng
Bench

A few others that come to mind are, George cox, Steve spriggs, spencer weir-daley, daniel grainger. All seemed to be promising and had previous records, but we're total flops.
I couldn’t put Coxy in, A, didn’t play enough games but more importantly B, he lives in the same village and I drink with his Dad😳
train
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by train »

Tricky best 11.

Heath,
Reynolds, Dolman, Ashton, Brown
Fairlamb, Bell-Toxtle, Gyasi
Taylor, Robbins, Shariff

On Bench

Collard,
Harris,
Farrell,
Joseph,
Gearing,
Hoban,
Hope,
Lorriane
BartonRaz

Post by BartonRaz »

My nightmare XI would be:

.........................Cross.........................

Wilkinson...Gillingwater.....McDonald......Lee

Okechukwu....Gilsenan.....Leslie (C).......Ling

..............Ellwood.......Dillon...................

Subs
Robbie Parsons
Tommy Berwick
Courtney Herbert
Jon Stevenson
Kyal McNulty
Ollie Brown-Hill
Arron Parkinson

Cross gets in ahead of Quincy because a.) he threw the ball in his own net 1 minute after HT at Dover in the FA Cup, and b.) Quincy literally destroyed his body playing for us.

Back 4 picks itself really. Bit harsh to put Parky on the bench as he was great when he joined, but stayed (and played) about a year longer than he should have. To be honest I needed a bit of defensive cover to come on and sure things up at HT when we’re already 6-0 down.

Had a lot worse than Leslie across the board but he captains the side for frustration-value alone. The same reason Tommy Berwick makes the squad.

Feel a bit sorry for Robbie Parsons who did his absolute best to make this XI, but I couldn't justify putting him in instead of Okechukwu or Ling.

Some good competition in the striking positions. Very, very few goals in that side. I think that front two averaged 1 goal in 10 between them and both in promotion-winning sides. Never understood what Ellwood brought to the team but Starmer seemed to have a hard-on for him.

Brownie

Post by Brownie »

May change this over time but for now, I’ve allowed myself a squad of 23 (apologies to the board for budget increase)
Heath
Reynolds Dolman (C) Hope Brown
Gearing Bunting Oulton Fairlamb
Berwick Dunkley
Bench. Merrill, Collard, Finlay, Hicks, Lorraine, Farrell, Shariff.
Rest of squad. Confue, Ashton, Rogers, Koriya, Gyasi
Apologies to Brad Harris, Scott Joseph, Alfie Taylor & Dan Quigley.
Last edited by Brownie on Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

Best
..............Heath.............
Reynolds Dolman Hope Brown
Holban Farrell Harris Fairlamb
......Shariff Dunkley...........

Worse
.................Foulger...............
...... Liburd McDonald McNulty....
Okechukwu A.King Henderson Herbert
.......Parsons Bowen L.Wilson....

I'm sure some wont be happy with one of my strikers, over hyped in his first spell, done nothing in second and got found out in third. Both CMs believed they were too good to be on our bench so they can make this XI
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Dowlo wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:33 pm
BartonRaz wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Pretty sure 4 of those didn't make 10 appearances - Bradshaw, Spriggs, Lobjoit and Lawless. 3, maybe 4 of the others are nailed on though. You've got my wingers, and my right back, although you're playing my right back out of position!
Sorry I missed the bit that said 10 or more appearances (DOH!)

I purely put Wilkinson at LB to accommodate Bradshaw as well!
Forget who it was against but I’ll always remember Wilkinson standing near the corner flag ball watching and Jacko really let rip at him for it. Wilkinson signed for Cogenhoe not long after that.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73