[ Tue 21st Jan ] v Hednesford Town, 7:45pm SLPDC HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

[ Tue 21st Jan ] v Hednesford Town, 7:45pm SLPDC HOME

Post by Dazzler »

sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: [ Tue 21st Jan ] v Hednesford Town, 7:45pm SLPDC HOME

Post by sussexdiamond »

2020 Four games Four wins, 14 goals. But did we not expect to win those games anyway ?. On Dec 31st we probably would have said anything less than that and we would have been a tad disappointed. But now we come to the first of a couple of real tests, followed by another one on Saturday at Nuneaton.
I am still hoping for 2 more wins but have to be realistic and we will certainly experience much tougher games than those recently. If we are to maintain our push for Play Offs these are games we cannot afford to lose, even 2 draws is dropping 4 points at a time when we want to really get in amongst that top group. There are still at least 12 teams who fancy their chances of being in the top 5 at the end of April.

On the plus side we are scoring goals at a rate not seen for some time and from all over the pitch, not just one or two players. Conversely we are shipping goals at a rate never experienced before and that could be crucial in the next few days.

Next month is going to be tough as we play Peterborough Sports, Tamworth, Coalville and Rushall. It would be nothing short of a miracle if we did not drop points in those games. So lets accumulate some points now and improve the goal difference.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:52 pm 2020 Four games Four wins, 14 goals. But did we not expect to win those games anyway ?. On Dec 31st we probably would have said anything less than that and we would have been a tad disappointed.
Honestly??? Leiston away with one defeat in their last 7 and we would expect 3 points!! They were one of the form teams in the league and certainly proved their credentials last Saturday by winning away at Tamurf. Barwell followed defeat to us by beating Peterborough Sports so no easy 3 points either. Yes not winning v Stratford or away to St Ives would have been disappointing. We may loose a few of our forthcoming fixtures but then we are playing some decent football especially given the surfaces we’re playing on so we may not. Whatever happens given our finances compared with others in the league I think we’re doing rather well.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Brownie wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm
sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:52 pm 2020 Four games Four wins, 14 goals. But did we not expect to win those games anyway ?. On Dec 31st we probably would have said anything less than that and we would have been a tad disappointed.
Honestly??? Leiston away with one defeat in their last 7 and we would expect 3 points!! They were one of the form teams in the league and certainly proved their credentials last Saturday by winning away at Tamurf. Barwell followed defeat to us by beating Peterborough Sports so no easy 3 points either. Yes not winning v Stratford or away to St Ives would have been disappointing. We may loose a few of our forthcoming fixtures but then we are playing some decent football especially given the surfaces we’re playing on so we may not. Whatever happens given our finances compared with others in the league I think we’re doing rather well.
I get what you say about Leiston and Barwell, but I did say "in December" we would have expected to win those games and that was when Leiston were only just starting on their good run. As for Barwell I always expect us to win every home match! and we did win away.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:04 pm
Brownie wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:37 pm
I get what you say about Leiston and Barwell, but I did say "in December" we would have expected to win those games and that was when Leiston were only just starting on their good run. As for Barwell I always expect us to win every home match! and we did win away.
I’ll give you the “in December” as you did say quote “on 31st Dec” however on December 31st Leiston were 5 games into the lost 1 in 7 run and had drawn at home to Nuneaton beaten Reddish 6-0 and Lowestoft 3-1 away and gained an exceptional 0-0 draw away to Royston hardly cannon fodder.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

I see that Hednesford yesterday signed an ‘on loan’ goalkeeper from Solihull Moors. Let’s hope he performs as well as the on loan young keeper from Wolves last Saturday. After a few minutes I was questioning whether he was a make shift player who had been roped in from the outfield. It was quite comical to see him undone by Bully’s clever up and under header. :joy:
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Trek wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:51 am I see that Hednesford yesterday signed an ‘on loan’ goalkeeper from Solihull Moors. Let’s hope he performs as well as the on loan young keeper from Wolves last Saturday. After a few minutes I was questioning whether he was a make shift player who had been roped in from the outfield. It was quite comical to see him undone by Bully’s clever up and under header. :joy:
Wow. He came from wolves? Either really nervous or just a terrible keeper. I've never seen a goalie as tall as that, that couldn't catch a ball!
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by davealbon »

You can't necessarily read too much into one performance.... just ask anyone who saw John Ruddy play for us against Carlisle!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Fantastic result given the circumstances. I think the referee was the only one in the ground that saw the red card offence. After that we understandably set up to contain Hednesford which didn’t make for a great spectacle, but they hardly created anything and I thought we could/should give it a go second half.

Second half I felt we bossed it pretty much from start to finish. Casey got MOM but Jesse was here, there and everywhere. Not for the first time recently the subs really swung the game in our favour, and an equaliser was the least we deserved.

The lads deserve great credit for that performance. To play so well without the two wide players who have been so integral lately, is a good sign.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
YoungDiamond
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by YoungDiamond »

Quality result and well deserved. 2nd half was outstanding across the board and the changes were spot on again, Shanks and Dovey were superb. Keeps the run going heading into another big game Saturday :drinks: