Weymouth 0-9 Rushden & Diamonds...memories required

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Bristol exile

Weymouth 0-9 Rushden & Diamonds...memories required

Post by Bristol exile »

Hello!

Weymouth fan here!

I’m currently writing a blog on “that” game for the Weymouth website and wondered if anyone who travelled that day had any memories of the game they’d like to share?!

Thanks in advance!

Duncan
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Re: Weymouth 0-9 Rushden & Diamonds...memories required

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Bristol exile wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 pm Hello!

Weymouth fan here!

I’m currently writing a blog on “that” game for the Weymouth website and wondered if anyone who travelled that day had any memories of the game they’d like to share?!

Thanks in advance!

Duncan
Didn't go to this one myself, but here's a link below to our write up to the game

https://rdfc1992.com/2009/02/21/weymout ... iamonds-9/
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I did the Match Report for the game, and remember having to be suitably diplomatic about Lee Tomlin's antics when he rather over-celebrated. Those antics denied him a chance to rattle in quite a few more goals, as he was taken off at half-time when the match was over as a contest. The Chairman's son replaced him, but he failed to score during his 45 minutes on the pitch, rather summing up his Diamonds' career.

It was one of the first games in the post-Garry Hill era too, so the post-match interview was quite a different affair to what we had become used to in the Hill era.
Bristol exile

Post by Bristol exile »

Thanks both, that’s great!

Any more memories welcomed and can someone tell me please who the assistant to Justin Edinburgh was that day?

I may also publish the article around the anniversary of his desperately sad death last year and obviously reference that.
Drunken Debanker
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Drunken Debanker »

Quite a lot of people made a fair few quid on this day! The bookies were a bit late to change the odds not realising that we’d be facing a youth team!
Did the Weymouth keeper ever make it as a footballer? He was given a well deserved man of the match, on the day it could have been nearer 20 if it wasn’t for him and he was only 15/16.
Very strange day but a cracking day out!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds
We'll Drink Some Beer
And We'll Drink Some More
Cuz We Are The Rushden Boys On Tour.
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Drunken Debanker wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:41 am Quite a lot of people made a fair few quid on this day! The bookies were a bit late to change the odds not realising that we’d be facing a youth team!
Did the Weymouth keeper ever make it as a footballer? He was given a well deserved man of the match, on the day it could have been nearer 20 if it wasn’t for him and he was only 15/16.
Goalkeeper coach at AFC Bournemouth

https://www.afcb.co.uk/teams/staff-prof ... e-prodomo/
Bristol exile

Post by Bristol exile »

Drunken Debanker wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:41 am Quite a lot of people made a fair few quid on this day! The bookies were a bit late to change the odds not realising that we’d be facing a youth team!
He was actually one of the older ones at 17y 6m!

Spoke to him for 25 mins yesterday about the piece I’m writing. Lovely guy. He played for a few years at other local clubs, some contracts he is convinced he got because of the exposure that day but I think he is happier coaching now. He only looks back on the experience positively.