Sam Brown

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 40 times

Sam Brown

Post by Dowlo »

And with that, there goes our last AFCR&D "original"

He's been quite simply phenomenal for us right from his first game. He has stepped up and remained a stand out player in whatever league we've been playing in. From UCL Div1 all the way up to the Southern Central Prem. It's amazing he never left sooner to be honest. I'm sure he had offers.

I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of why he chose to leave or even speculate. It's not fair on a player who's been a fantastic servant to the club, and always gave 100% each time he stepped onto the pitch in a Diamonds shirt.
I wish him all the best at where ever he ends up (P*ss off Banbury :cheesy: ). We'll do well to find a player half as talented and half as loyal as Sam ever again.

Now where are my boots I might get a game on the bench the rate we are loosing players!
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: Sam Brown

Post by rossco »

Absolutely fantastic player for all of the 8 years with us. Always made the step up in league seem easy and has developed so much since the start.
Shame we haven’t been able to give him the send off he deserves but sure we’ll cross paths again...

On an unrelated note - Banbury can f*** off
Beezus Fafoon
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Beezus Fafoon »

It’s an absolute shitshow that Brownie has left. Isn’t the lottery money meant to be used to increase our budget and keep top notch players like Sam at the club?!
Harry Flashman

Post by Harry Flashman »

We shouldnt even assume money is a motivator for Sam in this move. If it is then its his career and good luck to him. He has given us his best years and may just fancy a new challenge. Not many players give his consistent service through the leagues. Great shame for our defence though which has performed so well in these higher leagues. We have at least one youngster who needs a regular start although he isnt a natural left back.
So we will need a Plan B for a throw in which isnt a bad thing.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

I am sure his replacement is lined up. Another ex Diamond maybe.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Beezus Fafoon wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:57 pm It’s an absolute shitshow that Brownie has left. Isn’t the lottery money meant to be used to increase our budget and keep top notch players like Sam at the club?!
You would have thought so. Having lost three players now, two of which I'd have thought would have been among the higher earners (Hicks & Shariff), there's no evidence yet that suggests there's been any sort of investment in the playing squad as a result of the budget boosting campaign. I can't imagine young and relatively inexperienced players like Wreh and Bell-Toxtle are commanding a fat packet.

There is the issue of what's going on at the moment and finding the funds to keep the club going from day to day. It may be that this money has been ringfenced but has the 'normal' budget been reduced, thus leaving us no better off?

My main issue with Sam leaving, aside from the fact that he's an original and a Diamonds fan, is that we'd be hard-pressed to find a left back of that quality who will play for the money we seem to be offering. We might get lucky and find another Zack Reynolds-type.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

Post by BartonRaz »

sussexdiamond wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:19 pm I am sure his replacement is lined up. Another ex Diamond maybe.
We haven't had another left back except Jason Lee so I can't see that the revolving door will swing again on this one. God I hope it's not Jason Lee.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
oliv272
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 10 times

Post by oliv272 »

Thanks for your service Sam and good luck in the future!

Just to echo other people's comments I expected that the lottery would help us push on a bit and get a few better players, worrying that we can't even keep the current talent after this "boost" to the budget. Completely understand the position the club is in with regards to sponsorship issues and the general state of things at the moment. Hopefully we get some answers when the full story is posted on the OWS.
FuriousHoon / Ollie
therushden
Has Liked: 137 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

A great player that could have left us a long time ago. Thanks for your service, a professional. 👍👏👊
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

BartonRaz wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:27 pm
sussexdiamond wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:19 pm I am sure his replacement is lined up. Another ex Diamond maybe.
We haven't had another left back except Jason Lee so I can't see that the revolving door will swing again on this one. God I hope it's not Jason Lee.
Ben ford?