[ Sat 18th Feb] v Kidsgrove Athletic, KO 3pm NPL1S AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Re: [ Sat 18th Feb] v Kidsgrove Athletic, KO 3pm NPL1S AWAY

Post by diamondsteve »

Shaw lane won 3-1
Witton 0-0
Newcastle won 1-2
Leek won 0-1
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

diamondsteve wrote:Shaw lane won 3-1
Witton 0-0
Newcastle won 1-2
Leek won 0-1
Table looking good - nicely poised for us!!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 3555 times
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 3554 times
Cracking little ground at Kidsgrove !!
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

If you couldn't make the game today but managed to get to Lincoln away back in December, this was pretty much an identical game and result!

First half we weren't at the races at all and you could probably count on one hand the amount of passes we completed. Some reallly bad performances and the ball was just being lashed up the pitch at every opportunity in the vague direction or Lorraine which wasn't helping. Kidgsrove had all the chances and we survived by the skin of our teeth at times.

I think there was a genuine case for making changes at half-time which didn't happen but thankfully Kidsgrove couldn't keep up their first-half performance and allowed us back in to it a bit. The subs (when they were made, much earlier than usual) gave us some real impetus going forward and swung it in our favour. A bit of luck for the goal, something we don't seem to get at home, and we saw the game out superbly with some really determined and commited defending from the usual suspects. McNulty, Harris and Dolman were superb again in the second half.

In my opinion there are 3, maybe 4 players in our squad that simply have to start if fit. Sam Brown is one of them. Ben Ford was excellent last weekend and deservedly retained his place in the side, but with Curtis' midfield spot up for grabs I would have much preferred to see Ford in there and Sam Brown back in the XI at left-back. He's vital for us both going forward and defensively, losing him was one of the main reasons we capitulated towards the end of last season IMO.

Loved Kidsgrove's ground, a real gem. Would definitely go again if the opportunity arose.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Cotty »

great achievements for Brad and Tom. Congratulations to both - but wasn't it also Matt Finlay's 150th appearance, or have I miscalculated? I
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Cotty wrote:great achievements for Brad and Tom. Congratulations to both - but wasn't it also Matt Finlay's 150th appearance, or have I miscalculated? I
I believe that is on Tuesday v Spalding
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

One thing I'll add is a message to all those people who think Finlay should be dropped - he showed yesterday why that is a nonsense! He made three exceptional stops yesterday, I personally voted him as MOTM - he was player of the season last year and showed why yesterday! He is (and should remain) our first choice keeper!!
Scroggy

Post by Scroggy »

Absolutely agree Pigman, finners was outstanding yesterday and made 4 maybe 5 very important saves. Would have been my MOM too if I'd have remembered to vote. Well done to Tom and Brad, a top 3 points that. Tuesday now becomes a very important match if we want a home tie in the play offs
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Pigman wrote:One thing I'll add is a message to all those people who think Finlay should be dropped - he showed yesterday why that is a nonsense! He made three exceptional stops yesterday, I personally voted him as MOTM - he was player of the season last year and showed why yesterday! He is (and should remain) our first choice keeper!!
I don't think the reasons that I hold for believing that Ben Heath should be our first choice keeper are nonsense. With no disrespect to the keepers that have come before whilst Matt has been at the club, it's just the case that we've now got a very good young keeper who in the opinion of many is really pushing for the number 17 spot.
Pigman

Post by Pigman »

I don't dispute he's a very good keeper - but IMO Finners is better !! He has done nothing to deserve to be dropped, that's why I say the suggestion is nonsense. If/when he messes up its great to have a good keeper as back up - because we have that I think it's ensuring Finners is kept on his toes and performing at his best !!