New Ground Name

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Norfolk Diamond

New Ground Name

Post by Norfolk Diamond »

I know its monstrously too early to be thinking about a ground name, but it seems to me once named it takes form long before a brick is laid.

I suppose the obvious one is to go back to our roots and have 'Nene Park' but with bittersweet memories possibly not.

Maybe this has already been thought about and a name decided?
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Re: New Ground Name

Post by Biggles »

Nene Park is in the past, the new ground is the Future.

Normally ground are named due to location of where they are built or surroundings, not sure whats the name of the old Farm the land will come from but across the way its Lancaster Farm and its Duchy of Lancaster Land, so it could be Lancaster Fields Stadium or as the land belongs to the
Sovereign, Queens Stadium or depending on how long things take Kings Stadium, whoever that King will be.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

The Liam Dolman Stadium?
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Crown Park?
The Crown is a part of a diamond and the obvious link to the monarchy. Also the ground sits on a ridge (top) of the valley, as a crown sits on top of a head.
AFC R & D member number 34
James Beil

Post by James Beil »

Biggles wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 am Nene Park is in the past, the new ground is the Future.

Normally ground are named due to location of where they are built or surroundings, not sure whats the name of the old Farm the land will come from but across the way its Lancaster Farm and its Duchy of Lancaster Land, so it could be Lancaster Fields Stadium or as the land belongs to the
Sovereign, Queens Stadium or depending on how long things take Kings Stadium, whoever that King will be.
It couldn't be Lancaster Fields or something like that because of potential confusion with Lancaster Park where Higham Colts play. Is there anyone in the new club's young history who we could name it after? Chances are someone will find a sponsor to take the naming rights so we'll play in something like the B&Q Stadium (for example!) but I can't think of anyone truly iconic since our founding who could get the nod - I understand why someone suggested Bully but it seems odd naming a ground after a player who hasn't even retired!
ParcelFace
Has Liked: 73 times
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by ParcelFace »

James Beil wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:43 pm
Biggles wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:06 am Nene Park is in the past, the new ground is the Future.

It couldn't be Lancaster Fields or something like that because of potential confusion with Lancaster Park where Higham Colts play. Is there anyone in the new club's young history who we could name it after? Chances are someone will find a sponsor to take the naming rights so we'll play in something like the B&Q Stadium (for example!) but I can't think of anyone truly iconic since our founding who could get the nod - I understand why someone suggested Bully but it seems odd naming a ground after a player who hasn't even retired!
I can imagine it becoming something like the Dale Roberts Stadium or something, even though he was RDFC rather than AFCRD?
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 77 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

It may well be that the ground is sponsored. However that shouldn't stop the club giving the ground an 'official' name even if it is subsequently referred to as the B & Q stadium for a few years then the Homebase Arena for a few after that etc.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 77 times
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

ParcelFace wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:54 pm

I can imagine it becoming something like the Dale Roberts Stadium or something, even though he was RDFC rather than AFCRD?
I have a preference for a geographical reference in the ground name rather than a person past or present. I'm sure Dale will be appropriately remembered at the new ground through either Dale's Bar or a Stand.

The ground is actually nearer to Duchy Farm than Lancaster Farm but continues that regal theme.
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

I actually think we already have the name we should use displayed at Hayden Road already - The Crosskeys Stadium!!

If we get a stadium sponsor it could be (for example) “Fuelsell welcomes you to the Crosskeys Stadium - home of AFC Rushden and Diamonds”, got a nice ring to it that has!

I’m not a royalist and they are not donating the land, we’re paying for it, so any royal references to me are a no no personally. Now if they want to donate the land for free that’s a different matter!

We could have stands named after key people - obviously the Peter De Banke terrace, then the Dale Roberts terrace and the Max Griggs stand!

Bring it on !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
supersub

Post by supersub »

And not forgetting Ralph, he got the ball rolling, for the new Club. Forever grateful.