New Recruits for 19/20...?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 4 times
Been Liked: 136 times

New Recruits for 19/20...?

Post by BartonRaz »

I've just spotted that Joe Iaciofano has been released by Cobblers this summer - the definition of a 'no brainer' if we can get him in over the summer as he's scored goals for fun at this level for various clubs and lives locally.

It's got me thinking about other players that might be available / that we could realistically look to tempt to the club this summer. I think it's a commonly held belief that there's not a great deal wrong with the defensive side of things (if anything), so the problem areas lie further up.

I'd love to see Luke Fairlamb back at the club. He's been a bit-part player for Brackley this year so there's a possibility that he may be looking for more game time next season. Another winger I think we could/should tempt is Greg Kaziboni from Banbury who is another Northampton lad with bags of ability. I'm guessing we may have had a look at Brady Hickey from Barwell in the past but I think we may now be in a better position to tempt him over from Leicestershire after Barwell's fairly poor season.

Joel Carta and Jordan Crawford from Corby have both scored bags of goals from midfield this season and may be attainable depending on Corby's result in the play-off final at Bromsgrove today. Another from lower leagues is Tendai Daire from Lutterworth Town, who scored 53 goals in 17/18 and 47 goals in 18/19 in UCL Div One which is some going even at that level!

Anybody I haven't mentioned? :whistle:
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: New Recruits for 19/20...?

Post by sussexdiamond »

Like you I think Fairlamb could be back with us, but possibly at expense of losing Reynolds and/or Collard. As Corby lost today we may be able to entice a couple of their players. I would like to see us really give opportunity to our Under 21 and 18 players. I am assured that some are ready to be given a chance to step up. Defensively we have few problems. I would hope Johnson and Acquah could be persuaded to stay. Tbh other than Lorraine and Hicks I would not be too concerned about re-signing any of the others. I believe Ben Diamond will not be available next season.
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

This may be a surprise but thinking with head rather than heart, but based upon what I've seen of Fairlamb against Nuneaton in Brackley's FA Cup tie earlier this season, and yesterday in their playoff game against Spennymoor, I wouldn't say he's any better than we've got and wouldn't bring in the player as he is at Brackley back.

I felt he was too predictable and there was a distinct lack of variance in his game, generally he put in the same cross time after time and was largely anonymous, even when Brackley had Spennymoor on the racks at times in extra time. My concern is we could end up with a similar situation to when Bowen hasn't been the same player since he had that amazing spell of form for us in the tail end of the 2015/16.

I think if we're serious about playing wingers, we should start developing our wing play around Johnson (who has scored goals) and Ben Acquaye, who hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip since signing, but has looked hungry in the few outings he's been afforded, not forgetting that Southern League Cup game when he played against us for Kempston. If we do feel like we need another winger, I agree with BR about Crawford, he's two footed, has excellent movement with and without the ball and is exciting.

I would also suggest looking at Jordon Francis, the other winger at Corby, who although is outshone by Crawford, is a very, very good player in his own right, and can play on both wings. He's another one which can use both feet.

In central midfield, I completely agree with BR about Joel Carta, he's another I've seen a few times when I've seen Corby this year when we've not been playing. He would be very powerful as a box to box midfielder in our midfield. He's another exciting talent, has got good vision, is two footed, has a good shot on him from outside the box, and is dangerous in the air. I would be surprised if him (or Crawford) are attainable, but they're both worth approaching on the off chance, since they would bring a few more through the gates, although I think Carta's on contract, so we would have to wait until that expires.

A wildcard I'm going to throw into the ring from my groundhopping when we've not been playing, who may be more one for the future (so might be better keeping an eye on) is Alex Marsh at Bigglewade FC. They've have just won the South Spartan to get promoted to Step 4. He's another one comfortable with the ball in midfield, young, ex-Diamonds (think pre-2011) and is also their captain. Interestingly his twin brother also plays for them (Alex is the twin which usually wears 7).
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

Do Corby only sign players who can play with both feet? :biggrin: But on a serious note I would be happy with a couple of 2 footed players to help us mix it up a little.

I just hope that we steer clear of players on sizable wages who may be released by clubs who have just been promoted to Conference South.

Also agree with Sussex D, would be good to see some of our own youths getting chances, community club giving chances to local talent would be the icing on the cake, if we were doing that I would be happy with a mid table finish.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Adrian wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:20 am Do Corby only sign players who can play with both feet? :biggrin:
Probably not, but for a Step 4 side there seemed a disproportionate number who could.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

Mad Dog wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:36 pm This may be a surprise but thinking with head rather than heart, but based upon what I've seen of Fairlamb against Nuneaton in Brackley's FA Cup tie earlier this season, and yesterday in their playoff game against Spennymoor, I wouldn't say he's any better than we've got and wouldn't bring in the player as he is at Brackley back.

I felt he was too predictable and there was a distinct lack of variance in his game, generally he put in the same cross time after time and was largely anonymous, even when Brackley had Spennymoor on the racks at times in extra time. My concern is we could end up with a similar situation to when Bowen hasn't been the same player since he had that amazing spell of form for us in the tail end of the 2015/16.

I think if we're serious about playing wingers, we should start developing our wing play around Johnson (who has scored goals) and Ben Acquaye, who hasn't been given a fair crack of the whip since signing, but has looked hungry in the few outings he's been afforded, not forgetting that Southern League Cup game when he played against us for Kempston. If we do feel like we need another winger, I agree with BR about Crawford, he's two footed, has excellent movement with and without the ball and is exciting.

I would also suggest looking at Jordon Francis, the other winger at Corby, who although is outshone by Crawford, is a very, very good player in his own right, and can play on both wings. He's another one which can use both feet.

In central midfield, I completely agree with BR about Joel Carta, he's another I've seen a few times when I've seen Corby this year when we've not been playing. He would be very powerful as a box to box midfielder in our midfield. He's another exciting talent, has got good vision, is two footed, has a good shot on him from outside the box, and is dangerous in the air. I would be surprised if him (or Crawford) are attainable, but they're both worth approaching on the off chance, since they would bring a few more through the gates, although I think Carta's on contract, so we would have to wait until that expires.

A wildcard I'm going to throw into the ring from my groundhopping when we've not been playing, who may be more one for the future (so might be better keeping an eye on) is Alex Marsh at Bigglewade FC. They've have just won the South Spartan to get promoted to Step 4. He's another one comfortable with the ball in midfield, young, ex-Diamonds (think pre-2011) and is also their captain. Interestingly his twin brother also plays for them (Alex is the twin which usually wears 7).
A few in that Biggleswade FC team that are good enough, downside is they are mostly a bunch of mates who have played together for a long time and I'm not sure money or (a bigger Club?) would entice them to move, upside small gates and a limited budget could mean they may be open to offers, I'm saying no more as the assistant Manager there is an old Mate of mine.
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

Love a bit of Football Manager...

Goff
Kaziboni
Borg
Bell-Toxtle
Clifton
Iciofano
Carta
Hickey
Galliford
Crawford
Osei-Bonsu

Take your pick!
Last edited by TwinkleToesTomlin on Wed May 08, 2019 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
discodunk
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by discodunk »

dion sembie ferris a winger/forward who is at Peterborough sports,still a young lad,23 ish ,hes a Peterborough lad first saw him at ktfc u15,hes been a few places,,,one of note ,he was signed by Colchester united ending up at st neots last season,then pslfc this season,,,,25 goals,many m/o/m,and maybe player of the year,,,,,i thinks hes worth a look ,at least preseason :good:

++
AFC RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER-54
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

The 2 players that I would like to see at Diamonds next season are, Jordan Crawford think he's been excellent at Corby and would be a really really good signing. And Luke Fairlamb, would love to see him back up our club, miss him last season.
gibston
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by gibston »

Some ideal names mentioned. But we dont pay anything near what they currently get. I'm.pretty sure the management know what we need & who ticks the right boxes,but if you dont pay the ££££££ you've got know chance. Hence why alot of our signings are level or 2 below,so your massively limited to what you get