[ Sat 9th Nov ] v South Shields FC, KO 3pm FAT2Q AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: [ Sat 9th Nov ] v South Shields FC, KO 3pm FAT2Q AWAY

Post by Trek »

rossco wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:00 pm And concerned about the lack of our fans there... long way I know but definitely could be looking at falling attendances as it gets colder if we don’t start getting results.
No idea of the number as I didn’t travel but once it became clear that there was no real demand for a ‘fans only’ coach it was clear to me that there was no appetite from the majority of our fans to travel that far to play a far superior Step 3 team topping their league in what many consider is a far stronger league than the SPL Central in a national competition that in no way matches up to the FA Cup. A big shout out to Scott and Graham who made the journey to continue their run to see every match including friendlies home and away from our inception as a Senior team.
However an approximate 8 hour return journey to South Shields without any pit stops for a 90 minute match isn’t ideal for the majority. Whilst I generally agree that results on the green stuff will determine whether we can maintain or indeed increase our home attendances but I don’t think any lack of Diamonds fans in attendance yesterday is something that should overly concern the Club.
Pigman
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Pigman »

I agree about not too worried about yesterday’s lack of support for all the same reasons - I know three of us who would normally have gone who had other things planned, for me it was the wife’s birthday and we had visitors for the weekend - all set to sneak away for a home game, but away like that - no chance!

Can’t do Tuesday either cos I’m working - nothing to do with results on the field !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 54 times
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

For me, having a daughter play for diamonds under 16 girls on a Saturday morning, puts pay to my chances of making an away game like that. As it does with some of the away league fixtures. If I had the chance to go to this one, it may well have rested on the flip of a coin, doing a lot of driving for my job, but if it had of been the fa cup then I would have been more likely to travel.
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

Fair replies, apologies if I annoyed anyone with my comment about attendance - think I was tired and grumpy on the way home!
I was comparing it to the Ashington trip but I suppose we went up there with a lot more chance of winning the game and probably less things getting in the way.
Can't make it Tuesday but see some of you at (local for me) Alvechurch on Saturday
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I was in two minds whether to go after the desparate showing at Biggleswade, but it wasn't really the thought we would be underdogs that might have put me off - we've been to the likes of Concord Rangers or Dover in that position (and the likes of Bradford City with the old club). It wasn't cheap to get there - I paid over £60 on the train, and had I not booked an advance ticket I would have thought twice given the flooding issues in the Derbyshire / South Yorkshire areas - which was the route I needed to take via Tamworth. It thus meant a 6am start and two cancelled trains. The "long way for nothing" match was followed a nightmare return journey with an hour delay at Wakefield due to Baggies fans causing a disturbance on the train, with the final leg from Birmingham becoming over-crowded with those leaving the Little Mix concert - getting back at 11:15, facing diversions on the local roads due to flooding. It's those sorts of challenges we've faced in the past as Diamonds fans - I remember the foggy conditions for the midweek match at Workington in this competition - there weren't many Diamonds fans there that night, but you use it to increase the resolve to get to the next challenging game.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Well done, Formic. I know you like a challenge. I should imagine folk driving from the Northants area would have been away from home from 8am to 10pm yesterday and that is without any unforeseen traffic issues. Personally I don’t attend many away games nowadays and far enjoyed more the ‘away’ days in the UCL Premier League with the reasonable travel distances. Even this supposedly ‘Central’ League I don’t embrace with long trips to the east at Lowestoft, Needham Market and Leiston not the easiest with the current state of the A14 road construction in the Cambridge area. The Stourbridge, Bromsgrove, Alvechurch and Redditch area doesn’t fill with me joy to consider travelling on a Saturday. I guess the number of fans that do not now travel also concur with me.

Peterborough Sports and St Ives Town will only be my away visits this season although once the Huntingdon southern by pass is completed (due to open Monday 9th December) Royston Town might be on the agenda.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 87 times

Post by Dazzler »

Post Match interviews - as per twitter - https://twitter.com/AFCRD/status/119346 ... 62019?s=20

Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Trek wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:33 pm Well done, Formic. I know you like a challenge. I should imagine folk driving from the Northants area would have been away from home from 8am to 10pm yesterday and that is without any unforeseen traffic issues. Personally I don’t attend many away games nowadays and far enjoyed more the ‘away’ days in the UCL Premier League with the reasonable travel distances. Even this supposedly ‘Central’ League I don’t embrace with long trips to the east at Lowestoft, Needham Market and Leiston not the easiest with the current state of the A14 road construction in the Cambridge area. The Stourbridge, Bromsgrove, Alvechurch and Redditch area doesn’t fill with me joy to consider travelling on a Saturday. I guess the number of fans that do not now travel also concur with me.

Peterborough Sports and St Ives Town will only be my away visits this season although once the Huntingdon southern by pass is completed (due to open Monday 9th December) Royston Town might be on the agenda.
I think people do get jaded after a while, and lose some of the enthusiasm they might have once had. I'm the same, having decided to hand over the reins of doing the Official Website at the end of the season.
Brownie
Been Liked: 28 times

Post by Brownie »

rossco wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:43 am Fair replies, apologies if I annoyed anyone with my comment about attendance - think I was tired and grumpy on the way home!
I was comparing it to the Ashington trip but I suppose we went up there with a lot more chance of winning the game and probably less things getting in the way.
Can't make it Tuesday but see some of you at (local for me) Alvechurch on Saturday
Ashington was different as our 1st season and a real novelty factor that long trip, after all the furthest we’d been that opening year prior to that was probably Bugbrook. Don’t think our support is about to collapse and it would have taken something very special to get anything yesterday including lots of luck and South Shields having an off day. They have big plans there and will probably be in the National league within 2/3 seasons also a budget in the region of many x ours including some full time!! One player I have been in contact with who has played the odd game over the past 8 seasons described them as the best side this Club has played by a mile. Back to normality Tuesday in a Cup we could do well in so see you all then.