New Season...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

New Season...

Post by rossco »

I'm worried about this season, I feel that interest in the club has dwindled massively with 2 seasons incomplete in a row (obviously we'll always have the core 350/400 fans but worried we'll struggle to get 'extras'). Even looking down this forum, as has been mentioned on other threads, it seems interest/engagement has dropped - I've been checking a lot less frequently!

How can we as fans/as a club make sure we don't hit a rut this year and struggle financially with poor attendances?
I'm sure we won't be the only club in this situation but if results go badly (which they may with the tough fixtures at the start) and when the weather turns colder/wetter things will only get worse....

Hopefully I'm just having a pessimistic Sunday morning
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 57 times

Re: New Season...

Post by sussexdiamond »

We have just got out of the habit. Covid understandably has dominated our lives and looks like doing so for some time yet despite relaxing of restrictions. I am not confident we will complete this season. However we have an exciting young squad (the Southgate influence) which with the addition of a couple of the trialists will make us competitive in very strong league. Once the RB trialist signs we will have a back four that is probably the best we have ever had. Trialist, Collard, Casey Warburton. In Will Jones we have a really exciting prospect. So all in all the squad is shaping up well and we have reasons to be positive and the crowds will return.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 298 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by Ricky330 »

I've been to all 4 friendly games so far and feel we've been steady, but not great(early days I know)young lads coming through (will, paddy) is great but experience is invaluable at this level. I'm a little disappointed that we seem to be struggling to attract players to the Club(u18s on bench). The no2 has been ok, but he is no Zac/West unfortunately. Its also alarming that we have lost 10 of last season squad(some good/some not so good) & only have 1 new signing to date.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

sussexdiamond wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:01 am We have just got out of the habit. Covid understandably has dominated our lives and looks like doing so for some time yet despite relaxing of restrictions.
Spot on. Even prior to pre - COVID I think most fans would have been disappointed that we have not built on the attendances, to any degree, to those we enjoyed at the Dog & Duck playing at a lower level. Moving to Hayden Road appears not to have attracted any more fans from the core Rushden/Higham/Irthlingborough area and we continue to have many dedicated fans travelling to home fixtures from at least 20+ miles away (like me) and from further afield such as the Midlands/Lincolnshire/Norfolk area.

We must continue to engage with the local Community and hope that a new generation of fans will follow the Diamond brand.
COVID will continue to impact on our attendances at Hayden Road, for a variety of reasons, and as a Club we will be no different to many others in this respect.
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

I just hope there is a big "launch" planned at some point to get things going again. At the moment there's so little on the website about next season that perhaps is the case. There's no mention at all on there about how to buy season tickets, and if you work out you need to go to the separate club shop site for details, there's no information on prices or links to buy them. Some information including the fixture list can be accessed via twitter for those who use that platform, but otherwise you need to look at a tiny scrolling headline to find it.
Although I haven't been involved with the website since the revamp, which has plenty of merits, it does need focus to get a lot of the key areas updated to help market the club.
Trek
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Formic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:23 am Although I haven't been involved with the website since the revamp, which has plenty of merits, it does need focus to get a lot of the key areas updated to help market the club.
I understand that the new Club website was launched to make it more user friendly for those who only access it on a smart phone but I do not enjoy it as much as the old platform. I tried to access the results section in the archive this morning using my iPad and found it impossible to access a particular match report (obscured by a side banner) and why on a latest news report do we see links to similar news stories from 6-7 years ago?
Diamond_ Wolf
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

rossco wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:25 am I'm worried about this season, I feel that interest in the club has dwindled massively with 2 seasons incomplete in a row (obviously we'll always have the core 350/400 fans but worried we'll struggle to get 'extras'). Even looking down this forum, as has been mentioned on other threads, it seems interest/engagement has dropped - I've been checking a lot less frequently!

How can we as fans/as a club make sure we don't hit a rut this year and struggle financially with poor attendances?
I'm sure we won't be the only club in this situation but if results go badly (which they may with the tough fixtures at the start) and when the weather turns colder/wetter things will only get worse....

Hopefully I'm just having a pessimistic Sunday morning
I echo these sentiments unfortunately! 2 seasons wiped from the record books will have naturally meant that people have found other things to fill their lives with. Having a young family means that unfortunately I struggle to make games week in/week out! Im hopefully bringing my 5 year old to the Daventry pre season game, hoping that he gets the bug!

Im sure we will have a competitive squad once the season starts however it’s hard to get too excited when you see the likes of Banbury putting an extremely strong squad together! Understandably we can’t be pushing the budget to silly levels but there’s been no ‘x’ factor signing that has created a buzz.

I’m just hoping we can pick up 5/6 points from the first 4 games otherwise it could be a long slog.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
rossco
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by rossco »

Glad to see I’m not alone!

Agree that we need some sort of ‘launch’ before the season, just to remind casual fans that we’re still around!!
Good to see that Ben Garwood has signed (right back trialist I think!)

I’ll be travelling down Wednesday for friendly against cobblers - it’s been far too long
Formic
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

Formic wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:23 am I just hope there is a big "launch" planned at some point to get things going again. At the moment there's so little on the website about next season that perhaps is the case. There's no mention at all on there about how to buy season tickets, and if you work out you need to go to the separate club shop site for details, there's no information on prices or links to buy them. Some information including the fixture list can be accessed via twitter for those who use that platform, but otherwise you need to look at a tiny scrolling headline to find it.
Although I haven't been involved with the website since the revamp, which has plenty of merits, it does need focus to get a lot of the key areas updated to help market the club.
To be fair, those issues I mentioned above have been addressed very quickly.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 57 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Ricky330 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:15 am I've been to all 4 friendly games so far and feel we've been steady, but not great(early days I know)young lads coming through (will, paddy) is great but experience is invaluable at this level. I'm a little disappointed that we seem to be struggling to attract players to the Club(u18s on bench). The no2 has been ok, but he is no Zac/West unfortunately. Its also alarming that we have lost 10 of last season squad(some good/some not so good) & only have 1 new signing to date.
Not sure if it is as many as ten lost. Reynolds and Farrell both moved out of area with work. Ashton seems to prefer Step 4 or 5.(Not sure who yet). Prince has contract in Ireland (got sent off last week). Oulton possibly to Barwell. Fairlamb training with Nat League South club, good luck to him, although he will probably end up at Banbury with Wreh! Walton don't know what he is doing, trained with us a couple of times but now going elsewhere (tbh not that keen on him). Acquah never re signed last season. Well that's nine. Have I missed anyone? Replacements. You have to include Jones who we are hoping will step up, first indications are good. Warburton is every bit as player he replaced, be nice if he had a long throw. The new RB, Garwood is very good and we will do well to keep him at the club. Diamond not exactly new but a welcome addition. Midfielder Dean Dummett the No 4 trialist probably going to sign (17 goals in 37 for Barton Rovers in 19/20 season). A very experienced player. We need another striker and keeper. Then we do have 3 or 4 under 18's who can be called upon, when required. It is going to be a very competitive season.. Obvious favourites are Peterboro Sports and Banbury but all of the West Midlands clubs will be in contention.