New Season...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Ricky330
Has Liked: 303 times
Been Liked: 21 times

Re: New Season...

Post by Ricky330 »

Luke Fairlamb has signed for St Ives. So much for the lottery!
Last edited by Ricky330 on Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolts1988
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Bolts1988 »

We haven't really had a testing pre-season with the sides we have been playing and lately struggling against lower opposition. Before anyone says Northampton it wasn't there 1st team! We will do okay with the players we got but we won't be anywhere near playoffs, will that stop me going... NO.
Ricky330

Post by Ricky330 »

Pre season level has been poor. No step 2 or 3 sides played. All our rivals have had multiple tests at these levels. I don't see what we gain or learn from playing step5 sides?
Bolts1988
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Bolts1988 »

Ricky330 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:13 pm Pre season level has been poor. No step 2 or 3 sides played. All our rivals have had multiple tests at these levels. I don't see what we gain or learn from playing step5 sides?
Absolutely nothing!! Like I said I'll still go to games and I do think we will be okay but we should be aiming for much higher, losing players to our rivals every year, you've got to ask yourselves why?

Has Peaksy took us as far as he possibly can? Just a question to see people's opinion?
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Ricky330 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:58 pm Luke Fairlamb has signed for St Ives. So much for the lottery!
What has that got to do with lottery? If St Ives want to pay in excess of £350 a week (possibly more) for one player that's up to them. If we did that how much would we have to share amongst the other 17 or so players and is he so outstanding that remaining players would be happy with their £100-£150.Have you any idea what our budget is? Go on quote me a figure. How much do you think the lottery is contributing weekly? Should we blow it all on one player? I'll leave it there til you give your response.
Ricky330

Post by Ricky330 »

Sussex Diamond. You can find the figure that lottery has contributed on last board minutes on members forum.
sandringhamdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by sandringhamdiamond »

Bolts1988 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:27 pm
Ricky330 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:13 pm Pre season level has been poor. No step 2 or 3 sides played. All our rivals have had multiple tests at these levels. I don't see what we gain or learn from playing step5 sides?
Absolutely nothing!! Like I said I'll still go to games and I do think we will be okay but we should be aiming for much higher, losing players to our rivals every year, you've got to ask yourselves why?

Has Peaksy took us as far as he possibly can? Just a question to see people's opinion?
Its a very interesting question and I fear we are all about to find out the answer, however its also a pointless question as he has been given a 12 month contract, so no matter what happens on the pitch Andy Peaks will be in charge
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

sandringhamdiamond wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:32 pm Its a very interesting question and I fear we are all about to find out the answer, however its also a pointless question as he has been given a 12 month contract, so no matter what happens on the pitch Andy Peaks will be in charge
Agreed, we should respect any decision that Andy makes with regard to who he wishes to sign and what amount he wishes to pay for those players services.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

I think we have to look at where the club is at, the move to the new ground has got to take a priority from this season.

It’s clear we are not paying mercenaries who are just after the best wage packet (fair play to them if they can get it) but that’s not our bag now. From the pre season games I’ve seen I have watched young hungry players who want to prove themselves not just players out to pick up as much as they can get. I can’t wait to see how they are going to do against these types of players and also against teams who will have the pressure of winning each week on them.

Can’t wait for the season to start
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Pressman

Post by Pressman »

Please lets not get too negative before the season even starts!

We have a very good, young and hungry squad who I personally think will do very well this season under a very respected manager who has worked miracles to keep this club competitive despite a shoestring budget which is 'arguably 'amongst the lowest budgets in our division.

Some facts

Luke Fairlamb leaving the club has nothing to do with money or the Lottery.

Lottery money is available and accessible. The minutes of a recent board meeting confirms this. How it is distributed maybe a good question for the forthcoming AGM. As one of the administrators of the Lottery I would love to see more fans/members join in so that we can help provide Andy with more funds to bring new players in.

We have a very strong and talented Academy set up at U18 and below To get 1 or 2 players through to the first team squad every 2 or 3 years is a success but to see 6 or 7 in the last 2 years is absolutely phenomenal. It is so important to a club like ours to have a successful Academy.

The likes of Paddy Casey and Will Jones are well known to fans and have deservedly earned contracts to ward off other interested clubs. But last years U18's, ironically originally coached by Peaksy, were a special squad not only winning the nationals at U16 level but now providing us with several players who have all cut their teeth in the first team in recent weeks and months.

Biff Carlin & his coaching team certainly deserve more credit than they get from certain quarters as the Academy will certainly stand us in good stead in the future as will our association with Moulton College which I am very excited about.