Someone has to start it

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: Someone has to start it

Post by Mad Dog »

The pressman wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:11 pm I never said that there is any issue with the media guys who, as you say, are a fine bunch of volunteers. I was referring to the way the club is in general.
My comments about volunteers still stand!
It would be good to have that conversation in person on which volunteers you are referring to so that we can address it.
Deryck
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Deryck »

Living on the other side of the world I don't often comment as I'm not there experiencing everything first hand, but there are a lot of worrying signs at the moment - the team's performance is just one of them.

Crowds are down. They were higher when we were in Division 1. Was any modelling on attendance done before the move to Hayden Rd (yes I know moving from the D&D wasn't by choice)? Did they match expectations? Has anyone done any modelling on what attendance would be like at the new location which isn't as central? This must be having an effect on budgets. Can the board even afford to sack Andy Burgess if it comes down to it?

There is a lack of volunteers. It appears that there is still a lack of trust between the supporters and the board. It even feels like the old school regulars are just disappearing as they don't comment on here anywhere near as much as they used to either. Even the issue with the chairperson not being announced on time does not instill any confidence. Now rumours of board members leaving...

I apologise for being so negative but I am concerned for the future of the club at the moment.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 506
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

The pressman wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:50 pm I have to say that it is not all about Burge, the board must take some responsibility for the position we find ourselves in on and off the pitch.
That's a good point, Andy Burgess was appointed by the club and I have 2 concerns about that,

If Andy Burgess had never played for Rushden & Diamonds would he have got the job??

There isn't a local connection in terms of player contacts, there is very little managerial experience and the stats from his time in charge at Barnton are not impressive, he wasn't already working at the club as a coach, so the only reason I can see for us appointing a guy who lives many many miles away - is because he used to play for R&D.

If that is the case then the people in charge at the club need to ease away from the sentimental side, if we insist on bringing in an ex player as manager then we at least need to apply some common sense and get one with some knowledge of local football and some decent stats.

My other concern is, does Andy Burgess earn more than Andy Peaks did??

It would be absurd if we pay someone with very little experience more than we paid someone who was proven at the job, there are probably travel expenses to be factored in too.
mattparker
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by mattparker »

Deryck wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:24 pm Living on the other side of the world I don't often comment as I'm not there experiencing everything first hand, but there are a lot of worrying signs at the moment - the team's performance is just one of them.

Crowds are down. They were higher when we were in Division 1. Was any modelling on attendance done before the move to Hayden Rd (yes I know moving from the D&D wasn't by choice)? Did they match expectations? Has anyone done any modelling on what attendance would be like at the new location which isn't as central? This must be having an effect on budgets. Can the board even afford to sack Andy Burgess if it comes down to it?

There is a lack of volunteers. It appears that there is still a lack of trust between the supporters and the board. It even feels like the old school regulars are just disappearing as they don't comment on here anywhere near as much as they used to either. Even the issue with the chairperson not being announced on time does not instill any confidence. Now rumours of board members leaving...

I apologise for being so negative but I am concerned for the future of the club at the moment.
There’s a lot of work the board needs to do regarding building trust with the members and fan base. It’s early days for the new joint chairs so let’s give them some slack, early signs are good. Regarding volunteers, again they is some serious bridge building needed. There are many examples of great volunteers walking away because of the attitude of certain sections of the board, myself included. I’m fairly certain if changes were made the volunteers would come back
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

NN10-Nige wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:41 pm the only reason I can see for us appointing a guy who lives many many miles away - is because he used to play for R&D
Andy Burgess was not appointed for sentimental reasons. He is in the area during the week through work.
NN10-Nige
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by NN10-Nige »

Mad Dog wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:50 pm
NN10-Nige wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:41 pm the only reason I can see for us appointing a guy who lives many many miles away - is because he used to play for R&D
Andy Burgess was not appointed for sentimental reasons. He is in the area during the week through work.
So if it wasn't for sentimental reasons, why did he get the interim job?

With all due respect, he has no recent managerial experience, the bit he does have was average, he wasn't already a coach at the club, there were other experienced managers who were interested in the job who have decent track records but somehow the board came up with Andy Burgess as interim.

If it wasn't sentimental then that seems like an incompetent decision and a massive gamble, at least if it was sentimental I could understand the logic of them maybe romantically thinking a popular ex player would make fans happy and even bring a few extra faces from old times through the gates.
Mad Dog

Post by Mad Dog »

NN10-Nige wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:31 pm So if it wasn't for sentimental reasons, why did he get the interim job?
He impressed at interview and stood out from the other candidates. I also remember that the appointment received very positively.

https://www.afcdiamonds.com/andy-burges ... m-manager/
The pressman
Been Liked: 27 times

Post by The pressman »

It's a and good point you make NN10 Nige re Bully's departure and it reminded me of the lack of class shown by the board to Peaksy when he left. Notwithstanding the Tamworth offer, Peaksy and his management team were fed up with the interference and attitude of two directors in particular.
discodunk
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by discodunk »

Mad Dog wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:35 am
NN10-Nige wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:31 pm So if it wasn't for sentimental reasons, why did he get the interim job?
He impressed at interview and stood out from the other candidates. I also remember that the appointment received very positively.

https://www.afcdiamonds.com/andy-burges ... m-manager/
I used to work with a bloke years ago,,,got distinction marks in all his colledge courses,,won all the awards for his talking skills,,,,,,BUT WAS ABSOLUTELY SHIT AT HIS JOB,,,,,track record always speaks for itself,,,,or as they say ,,,,actions speak louder than words!!!!
AFC RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER-54
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Out of interest has anyone got/know Burge’s record since joining? The clubs Wikipedia page hasn’t been updated.

Currently it states that it is;
Played- 10 Won- 4 Drew- 4 Lost- 2 With a win percentage of 40%
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73