Lost [ Mon 21st Nov ] v Hitchin Town, KO 7:45pm SLPDC AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: [ Mon 21st Nov ] v Hitchin Town, KO 7:45pm SLPDC AWAY

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Dowlo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:44 pm
Three of Diamonds wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:06 am
Not possible, upcoming conflict of interests.
Didn't stop the current manager! :cheesy:
:biggrin:
Ah, but we've moved on from then and we're better than that aren't we?
AFC R & D member number 34
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

bozzer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:23 pm
Brownie wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:44 am
The pressman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:06 pm Certainly a lack of football knowledge from the 4 directors who selected Maxwell!!
To be honest the Boards track record on manager appointments has been bloody abysmal from day one. Gave Starms the job on sentiment because he did well with Under 18’s the previous season, Marks experience was in youth football and let’s be honest anything other than promotion in year one from UCL1 would have been a disaster and we only made it with 3? games to go. Much as I liked Starms he made the correct decision during the following season.
Peaksy wasn’t selected by the Board he was there and it was obvious natural progression, then followed 8 very successful years involving many players at the Club not for money, previous attachments, the Board but for what Andy had put together on a limited budget. Peaksy goes and the next 2 appointments have been at best a disaster!!
We selected Starms on the back of the good work he had done for the U18s season, a fair thing to do at the time, it was right when he stepped down as he struggled with the mens game.
Peasky was interviewed along with 3 others and including two with greater nostalgic links to the old club than Peaksy and we felt Peaksy should get the job on the basis of the interviews, simple as that.
Absolutely. I would add to that that the board recognised Starms' lack of experience in men's football, and were very keen to have Peaksy as his assistant to provide that knowledge of the UCL.

While it would have been a massive blow to not get promoted from UCL Div 1 that first season (I think 'disaster' is a bit OTT, as many pointed out at the time, AFC Wimbledon didn't get promoted in their first season), it was far from easy with Oadby and particularly Sileby having crazy budgets that season. Starms (and the rest of his team) did at worst a decent job that season, achieving their league target and taking us on a good run in the Vase.

I would disagree with Dave regarding the decision to give Peaksy the job after Starms had stepped down - for me at least, it was a very difficult decision as we had some excellent applicants who'd been very successful at Step 5, one who'd managed in the EFL, a former EPL player and more than one ex-R&DFC player. Ironically enough, we received plenty of grief for appointing Peaksy, with many claiming it was the 'easy decision', and plenty favouring the inexperienced combo of Mills and Bell. I'd like to think time has proved we got that appointment spot on.

No arguments regarding the most recent two appointments however, although I'd long since left the board when they were made! :biggrin:
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

One for you statisticians.I make it nine games under RM, if my maths is correct his record is 6 points from a possible 27. What was Burge’s record after nine games from when he was appointed manager?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Burge was 5 from 10 games including 7-0 and 5-0 defeats. Starting with Nuneaton game, RM to date is 7 from nine games. Our worst scoreline was 1-5 at Leiston who then beat Tamworth.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

davealbon wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:25 pm I would disagree with Dave regarding the decision to give Peaksy the job after Starms had stepped down - for me at least, it was a very difficult decision as we had some excellent applicants who'd been very successful at Step 5, one who'd managed in the EFL, a former EPL player and more than one ex-R&DFC player. Ironically enough, we received plenty of grief for appointing Peaksy, with many claiming it was the 'easy decision', and plenty favouring the inexperienced combo of Mills and Bell. I'd like to think time has proved we got that appointment spot on.
Fair point, to be fair I was, and still am, a fan of Andy.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

sussexdiamond wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:40 pm Burge was 5 from 10 games including 7-0 and 5-0 defeats. Starting with Nuneaton game, RM to date is 7 from nine games. Our worst scoreline was 1-5 at Leiston who then beat Tamworth.
Okay that is from this season? I was more referring to his first nine games from when he was appointed manager last season. I would try and work it out myself, but the official website is a pain to navigate at times.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:41 pm
sussexdiamond wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:40 pm Burge was 5 from 10 games including 7-0 and 5-0 defeats. Starting with Nuneaton game, RM to date is 7 from nine games. Our worst scoreline was 1-5 at Leiston who then beat Tamworth.
Okay that is from this season? I was more referring to his first nine games from when he was appointed manager last season. I would try and work it out myself, but the official website is a pain to navigate at times.
Dan I think it’s more comparable going with Burg team this season anyway as it’s nearer to the team Maxwell has . That’s of course if you are comparing
Deryck
Has Liked: 3 times
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Deryck »

Mad Dog wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:07 pm
Deryck wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:24 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:46 am If RM does get relieved of his duties whenever that may be, unfortunately, unless we could come to some sort of compromise with the loan clubs, it would mean we’d lose those players unless the new manager has a UEFA B qualification.
It seems odd that clubs would be willing to loan outfield players to a club where the manager has a UEFA B Goalkeeping certificate, but not say to someone who has many years or management experience but no certificate...
He’s got the outfield one as well, but as mentioned, I’ve only ever seen the thing about the manager needing a UFEA B and loan signings brought up on this forum.
Please accept my apologies. I'd only ever seen the GK one mentioned but I'm guessing that's because it was the most recent one he'd achieved.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 506
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:22 pm
Mad Dog wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:04 pm
AFCRD_Dan wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:58 am If that’s the case then you have to question if it was lack of knowledge from the board.
I’ve only ever seen this come up on this forum. It did not come up in the meeting where he was appointed.
You should take another look at the GSB minutes from October on the members forum, under Appointment of first team manager The eighth bullet point down to be specific. Maybe it was something I’ve misunderstood (again!)
I was there. Not a single person mentioned it as a reason in favour of appointing RM
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:18 pm
davealbon wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:25 pm I would disagree with Dave regarding the decision to give Peaksy the job after Starms had stepped down - for me at least, it was a very difficult decision as we had some excellent applicants who'd been very successful at Step 5, one who'd managed in the EFL, a former EPL player and more than one ex-R&DFC player. Ironically enough, we received plenty of grief for appointing Peaksy, with many claiming it was the 'easy decision', and plenty favouring the inexperienced combo of Mills and Bell. I'd like to think time has proved we got that appointment spot on.
Fair point, to be fair I was, and still am, a fan of Andy.
Oh absolutely, and I should point out that although it wasn't an easy decision for me, I ultimately voted the same way as you!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297