Gary Setchell.

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
gibston
Has Liked: 7 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Gary Setchell.

Post by gibston »

Parted ways with Bedford Town. Hopefully he's see our advert. Although he's always had a steady budget to work with at previous clubs (No dig whatsoever)
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Re: Gary Setchell.

Post by Biggles »

Bedford Town were heading towards us and are one of our targets to catch up so why would we want to appoint him as our manager as he with a fairly good budget was struggling at level 3 unless we want him for level 4 of course.

Anyway why is it that fans want an ex player for our manager, its about time we got away from ex players being looked at through rose tinted glasses
and appointed because of sentiment
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Adrian
Has Liked: 6 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by Adrian »

I agree with Biggles, in previous years we have had a decent budget but now we are at a level where the budget probably only matches mid table.
Setchell had money at King's Lynn and then at Bedford, he doesn't have recent experience of a shoe string budget and battling just to survive so I don't think he is what we need at this time, we need someone who has proven he can manage on a tight budget.

I don't really see Setchell as an ex player because he has been out in the world and got years of managerial experience under his belt at and around our level, if we were ever going down the ex player route again that is the type of candidate I would like to see.
  • Play it out from the back.
  • 1 up front.
  • Man gets one good result via a new manager bounce and thinks he's Pep Guardiola.
Michael Harriman Out! 💎
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Biggles wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:57 pm Bedford Town were heading towards us and are one of our targets to catch up so why would we want to appoint him as our manager as he with a fairly good budget was struggling at level 3 unless we want him for level 4 of course.

Anyway why is it that fans want an ex player for our manager, its about time we got away from ex players being looked at through rose tinted glasses
and appointed because of sentiment
I think it's naive to dismiss the role sentiment plays in football. As a spectator sport, it's all about the emotions - the highs, the lows, the heroes and villains, the memories of years gone by - and the vast majority of us are here now because of an affinity to the original R&DFC, and possibly even RTFC/IDFC. I remember the buzz around the ground for Burgess' first game in charge; despite the great run we'd been on prior to Peaksy's departure, the atmosphere at games had become a bit stale, but for that first game with Burge as manager it was like going back to the early days of AFC R&D.

That said, I agree with you that given the situation we find ourselves in, this appointment needs to be a pragmatic one, and that Setchell doesn't really tick many of the boxes - and given that he was by no means an R&DFC legend anyway, he doesn't even tick the 'sentimental' box either.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
smoky
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by smoky »

I don't think we want to jump at every manager who comes on the market, would it not be better to try and entice a manager from a club who could see some potential in moving to us.I accept that at the moment we don't look like much of a catch but that could be changed by a manager with vision and enthusiasm to do well at this level, even if he used it as a stepping stone for something higher later on.
smoky
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by smoky »

Maybe we should be looking at a manager from a lower league who has ambition to move up higher.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

smoky wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:18 pm Maybe we should be looking at a manager from a lower league who has ambition to move up higher.
Newport Pagnell manager. FA Vase holders,going well in league.
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Brownie »

sussexdiamond wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:30 pm
smoky wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:18 pm Maybe we should be looking at a manager from a lower league who has ambition to move up higher.
Newport Pagnell manager. FA Vase holders,going well in league.
He’s probably been overlooked in the past!!
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Brownie »

smoky wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:12 pm I don't think we want to jump at every manager who comes on the market, would it not be better to try and entice a manager from a club who could see some potential in moving to us.I accept that at the moment we don't look like much of a catch but that could be changed by a manager with vision and enthusiasm to do well at this level, even if he used it as a stepping stone for something higher later on.
Agree with this and most of what else has been posted above, done a good job at KL and The Eagles but both with money and a lot more of it than Diamonds currently have to offer, not sure he’s the man to lead a great escape on a shoe string.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

You’ll see quite a lot of players follow him even if the wages dropped .