Stevenage

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Stevenage

Post by Formic »

It's good to see that Stevenage have clinched the promotion they were denied a good few seasons back - and they have shown a few of the "big clubs" how it's done.

I note that Graham Westley has a number of ex-Diamonds in his team, several of whom were those that Garry Hill released shortly after his arrival - Chris Beardsley, Michael Bostwick, Jon Ashton and to a less extent Mark Albrighton.

Good luck to them - let's hope can repeat their feat.
ID

Re: Stevenage

Post by ID »

Agreed - I'm genuinely pleased for them, which wouldn't have been the case if Luton or Oxford had won.

They deserve a shot at the league and, considering the small difference in class between the two leagues, I expect them to do well.

Let's hope we'll be taking six points off them next season, though... ;)
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Formic wrote:It's good to see that Stevenage have clinched the promotion they were denied a good few seasons back - and they have shown a few of the "big clubs" how it's done.

I note that Graham Westley has a number of ex-Diamonds in his team, several of whom were those that Garry Hill released shortly after his arrival - Chris Beardsley, Michael Bostwick, Jon Ashton and to a less extent Mark Albrighton.

Good luck to them - let's hope can repeat their feat.
Ex-Diamonds but also Westley players. Only goes to show what a dreadful manager Hill was...but we all knew that didn't we..:?:
OsanoIsKing

Post by OsanoIsKing »

Can't say I agree. Thought they played shit football, shit tactics and I can't stand Graham Westley.

Fair enough they've got a low budget, but i'll be putting a few quid on them coming straight back down.
Turveyman

Post by Turveyman »

I'm never very happy when cynical, physical teams such as Stevenage, Crawley & Histon do well - they set a poor example to young players and give football a bad name.
Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Westley was very much in the process of turning our fortunes around when he got the sack. Lots of rumours why this happened but it wasn't due to team performances. Then we got Hill and it went down hill from then onwards.
I think Westley will do well in the lower end of the the FL but agree it is not attractive to watch - but would Stevenage supporters not want promotion ?
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

HAve to agree with the later posts, Graham westley is an awful person if just a tenth of the rumours i've heard are true, and i simply don't like him. Added to the fact that i currently live in Hatfield, and the number of Stevenage fans crawling out of the woodwork is frankly doing my fecking head in!

HAving said that, i am slightly happier that it was them and not Oxford/Lootun, and IF we could go up aswell, then that would be fantastic, clearly for us, but also for the smaller teams who "have no right to go up"!

Also, if we do make it to Wembley, i am hoping to bring a small contingent of "stevenage" fans down to cheer us on :D
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

Well done to Stevenage but i honestly think a lot of their players wll not be up to the football league