The new season

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
discodunk
Been Liked: 15 times

The new season

Post by discodunk »

Anyone else getting jittery about the new season and the type of player we can attract,,,lots of good signings being annouced elsewhere,,,just hope we can be near the playoffs,playing half decent football,at a sustainable level,,,,,oh and please a decent goal scorer,,,,i guess the squad will be announced, roughly,around the beginning of july,,,cant wait now,,,bring on preseason 👍
AFC RUSHDEN AND DIAMONDS MEMBERSHIP NUMBER-54
smoky
Has Liked: 8 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: The new season

Post by smoky »

Perhaps if some of the retained were announced season ticket sales would take off,I think some information about things like this would help wet people's enthusiasm,same as how many tickets have been sold for the end of July match,got to keep people's interest until the season kicks off.
smoky

Post by smoky »

Am I the only one seeing other clubs around us announcing who is staying and who they are signing,this is what keeps the club in the minds of people in the close season.Alright we don't want to hear rumours all the time but some information is better than none,and that what it seems to be at the moment, let's all share the news and not just the privileged few,we are all supposed to be in this together.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

come on haven't your heard the news (fake) that every Tuesday prior matches fans can pay £50 and come to training on a Thursday, the Manager will pick the best and then they will be registered to play to following Saturday a great money spinner i think.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

discodunk wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:10 am Anyone else getting jittery about the new season and the type of player we can attract,,,lots of good signings being annouced elsewhere,,,just hope we can be near the playoffs,playing half decent football,at a sustainable level,,,,,oh and please a decent goal scorer,,,,i guess the squad will be announced, roughly,around the beginning of july,,,cant wait now,,,bring on preseason 👍
The profile of player we'll be looking to sign is unlikely to be the same as Corby/Harborough/Spalding or even Bedford as we can't get anywhere near those budgets. We'll be looking to sweep up the young, hungry local talent with a sprinkling of experience which isn't too dissimilar to what the club's done relatively successfully over the last 3 or 4 years with the obvious exception of last year.

Don't forget the club has got to turn a profit this year because the club's financial reserves are gone after last season's fiasco. With the exception of the Covid season this hasn't happened since 2014. We have to do that without any of the usual options open to any other club at this level such as alcohol sales, facility hire and for the fortunate few, pitches they can hire out.

This doesn't mean we expect to have another poor season and the budget that's been given to Chris is substantially more than he had at Kempston last year before he joined us, but we do need a bit of realism. The club is resetting from top to bottom and we're not going to start ripping up trees overnight.

The Northamptonshire Football Podcast Rob and I did is worth a listen if you haven't already done so as we go in to this sort of thing.

We will be announcing some more retained players soon besdies Harriman and possibly one or two new signings but - and I know this is boring - until the forms are signed early July these players are free to go elsewhere. They quite literally haven't signed anything.

I'd like to think we are doing our best to keep people interested on socials over the summer!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

not just the privileged few,we are all supposed to be in this together.

Sorry but us privileged have actually paid a membership fee which gives us voting rights and at times some info about whats going on behind the scenes.

We privileged still know nothing about players or contracts but if the board still want to maintain the run silent run deep with regards to players then so be it.

A footnote : Run Silent Run deep a very old film from 1958 (and a book 1955) with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster (who i hear some say)
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
smoky

Post by smoky »

Not every supporter can afford to become a member but they are still supporters wether they attend all the games or just a few and it's those people who will feel they are still part of the club if they are told what's happening,by the way I am one of the fortunates who can afford to be a member but still care about those who aren't.
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

We’ve had this every year since 2011, unless you are signing players to contracts and paying them from now, no one can actually put any signed forms into the league until 1st July.

We tried in the past to keep peoples interest by announcing players who had committed to the manager only for them to sign elsewhere on 1st july when offered a bit more.

So whilst it’s really annoying to see all these other teams announcing signings, we just aren’t in the same place.

As long as Chris is able to put a team together of a decent quality and with the right mindset we should give anyone a game, but we are going to be the underdogs in a few games this season so a top half of the table would do me.
AFC R&D Member No. 67
Dbsl
Been Liked: 15 times

Post by Dbsl »

Totally agree with Bozzer.. They key fact in Alex's response is that no player is actually signed in the league until after July 1st. Anouncement now can only be an intent to sign. Most that are anouncing have money that means a players intent is more likely to become a reality. Take a theoretical example. Chris has found an absolute gem from his contacts. Scored 29 goals last season. We anounce the signing which can only be an intent to sign.The money driven teams see it and bang we have lost that player.

I am on the Board and I don't know the current player situation and neither do I expect to until we are ready to make anouncents. Whilst we work closely as a Board we all have our own roles. The Board trust me to deliver In my role and I trust implicitly Chris and the recruitment team to deliver a competive team this season.

Be patient. If you have time turn your energy into helping us promote the Club in the Community and raise funds in the events we are supporting this summer.
Do you know any mature supporters of the Club that may not have access to the Internet. Speak to them and help them purchase a Legends ticket. It all helps
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Thanks for the update Alex & Dave. Pretty much knew this but glad for the info.

I see the other clubs being shrewd and announcing as “deal done” for example. We know how things can change in July .

Sustainable is the way to go