Returning to the Dog & Duck

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: Returning to the Dog & Duck

Post by sussexdiamond »

The SGM is certainly going to be an interesting event.!
Herman Jelmet

Post by Herman Jelmet »

I'm glad my post has led to a debate about the pros and cons of the proposed move. The club would do well to remember that although it is fan owned, and those who do join should be those who vote on such things, it shouldn't be run just for those members. The club must be transparent with non members who probably make up the majority of the crowd. We cannot grow and prosper without non members. A lot of people just want to walk up and watch football and it is those that will make the club solvent. If the non members knew what decisions were being voted on, they might even want to get involved a bit more.
Bobdiddly
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by Bobdiddly »

So, whilst within the rules, is it right for someone (anyone) to join at a discounted rate just to vote on this huge issue that affects the future of our club?
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Herman Jelmet wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:10 am I'm glad my post has led to a debate about the pros and cons of the proposed move. The club would do well to remember that although it is fan owned, and those who do join should be those who vote on such things, it shouldn't be run just for those members. The club must be transparent with non members who probably make up the majority of the crowd. We cannot grow and prosper without non members. A lot of people just want to walk up and watch football and it is those that will make the club solvent. If the non members knew what decisions were being voted on, they might even want to get involved a bit more.
It needs to be a private vote otherwise it’s open to flawed results. Best way is for members to vote. Become a member then you can vote on matters. Simple really but you’re making it very hard.

It’s also going to be on zoom, the board are making it easy for us to be involved, just become a member.

What ever the attendances differences one thing is for sure we will make more money on matchday yay!! Need to get better draft and Guinness though lol.

We will make more money whilst paying two rents during interim than just staying at hr paying one rent, that’s says something! So really beneficial once hr rent finished.

We have a big fan base ,we need to cash in on that. D&d will give us a taste of what it will be like to have our own ground in some ways.
diamondsteve
Has Liked: 157 times
Been Liked: 22 times

Post by diamondsteve »

Bobdiddly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:35 am So, whilst within the rules, is it right for someone (anyone) to join at a discounted rate just to vote on this huge issue that affects the future of our club?
Yes.

Supporters who are currently not Part Owners are invited to sign up to become Part Owners at a reduced price for the remainder of the 2023/24 season.

https://www.afcdiamondsshop.com/partownership.asp
rickthediamond
Has Liked: 18 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by rickthediamond »

diamondsteve wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:05 am Need to get better draft and Guinness though lol.
Now this I can agree with, the options at D&D are shocking!
Lee Tomlin la la la
StaceyH
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 20 times

Post by StaceyH »

Bobdiddly wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:35 am So, whilst within the rules, is it right for someone (anyone) to join at a discounted rate just to vote on this huge issue that affects the future of our club?
Yes. Whilst I understand what you’re saying and the potential impact of huge numbers of supporters joining and perhaps unduly influencing the result of the vote, I am certain that the Board will give everyone the full facts highlighting the pros and cons to ensure that members can make a fully informed decision.
Why not speak to a member of the Board at the next game or drop one of them an email? I know they’ll be only too happy to give you their time and discuss it further.
R.I.P Dale....always and forever in our hearts
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

Stacey is spot on (as always lol) it is right and proper that the idea is shared with part owners first and the pros and cons discussed before sharing the proposal to the wider fan base. We are a fan owned club and that’s the right way to do things in terms of our constitution.

I have already listed a number of questions I have and messaged them to Rob - not to seek answers now, but to prepare him for the kind of questions I’d be asking on the night. He’s a good guy and has thanked me and said he’ll answer them all on the night - that’s good enough for me! If you have burning questions and can’t get there on the night do the same! I’m sure all the board members just want to enjoy the match today!

I’m sure there will be a thorough presentation and a business case placed before us to consider - our board would have scrutinised this potential move I’m sure. I can’t wait to hear their proposal and I shall do so with an open mind - at the end of the day we all have the best interests of the club at heart.

For what it’s worth, personally, I think it’s a great idea (as long as the financials stack up) and providing the questions I’ve posed are answered in the positive, I’ll be voting for this.

I never wanted to leave the D&D in the first place, I invested hours of my life down there (as many others did) working hard to get the ground up to the standard we needed and felt at home there! I’d welcome going back providing the figures and the deal we can strike look good!

I’ve every faith in the board to put before us a costed and well thought out proposal, and I’d like to thank them for the amount of work they’ve already put into this as there would have been a colossal amount of work already to get to this stage.

Looking forward to the meeting!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

I always felt we had a better atmosphere at the D and D , possibly one of the reasons that as you came in you walked past the de banke and people tended to stay there and you got to meet a lot more people as they were passing as well. Not sure how the parking is going to be now that there has been that new development at the end of the Ind est
GreekDiamond
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by GreekDiamond »

Agreed. I liked the atmosphere at the D&D, plus with taking our stands and other bits it will look like a tidy ground.

Not to mention our cup record there is much much better than Hayden Road!

Will be voting in favour of the move.