Three Game Run-in

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.

Total points tally for safety?

No votes
No votes
6%
No votes
13%
44%
25%
No votes
6%
35 +
6%

Total votes: 16

sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: Three Game Run-in

Post by sussexdiamond »

Suddenly it's any two from five. We and Rugby have games against teams with nothing to play for whereas Gresley, Cambridge and Coventry all have games against teams involved in play off hopes. In fact all three play Hinckley.
Sevenofdiamonds
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Sevenofdiamonds »

For Cambridge and/or Coventry to go down that would mean two of the bottom three would each have to win two of their last three games and I can't see that happening.
It's going to be two out of the three at the bottom and I think we are probably best placed of the three, (hoping I haven't jinxed it). Gresley won't get more than a couple of points from their last three and Rugby barely any better. If we can win one and draw one I think that will do us.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Sevenofdiamonds wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:00 pm For Cambridge and/or Coventry to go down that would mean two of the bottom three would each have to win two of their last three games and I can't see that happening.
It's going to be two out of the three at the bottom and I think we are probably best placed of the three, (hoping I haven't jinxed it). Gresley won't get more than a couple of points from their last three and Rugby barely any better. If we can win one and draw one I think that will do us.
Strange how we read stats differently. I think Cambridge and Coventry are extremely vulnerable now. They have the most difficult fixtures of the bottom five and are in freefal, especially Cambridge. I do expect/hope Diamonds and Rugby to get 6 point. We are probably agreed though that it could be down to GD on the final day.
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

I think Coventry are safe only because of the Goal difference, Cambridge are in the mix and could get caught out on the last day of the season.
Mind you predicting results is not a perfect science so writing off Gresley and Rugby not picking up 6 points from the last 3 games is just wishful thinking, I would assume Gresley and Rugby fans would have written us of from getting 4 points from the Harbourough, Anstey and Loughborough games.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

Given that over the past few weeks Gresley have beaten both Sporting Khalsa and Lye Town, writing them off is utterly daft!

I still think we need 6 points and even then we’ll be sweating - this is going to the wire and the next three games are not for the faint hearted - all of the bottom 5 have everything to play for - we have 3 cup finals and could win all 3 and still go down!

Its exciting and nerve wracking in equal measure - I’m just glad to be in the mix and not already relegated because a) that would just be a shit way to end the season, just going through the motions in the last 3 games and b) bloody embarrassing! At least we’ve shown some balls in the final quarter of the season to give ourselves a chance!

What will be will be and all that !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
Sevenofdiamonds
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by Sevenofdiamonds »

It was only a point of view - blimey.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

So Gresley have the worst away record in the division and have no more home games, and Rugby's record against anyone not near the bottom has been awful all season, whereas we have been in far superior form since the turn of the year which gives me hope that we will do it. But they both won last week and all three teams will be in a 'every game is a cup finals mentality, so it could easily come down to who can hold their nerve and who wants it more in their remaining games, very difficult to predict what will happen.

All that is clear is that the team will need the 12th man now more than ever, hopefully there will be many travelling today and at Wood and buoy these lads to survival!
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

So it's down to a 2 game shoot out. We'll have an idea what needs to be done after Gresley's game on Tuesday.
AFC R & D member number 34
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 85 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

I suspect the point for Cambridge today might just make them safe now. It would require two of the bottom three to win both of their last two games to drag Cambridge down which seems unlikely now.
fentiger79
Has Liked: 48 times
Been Liked: 86 times

Post by fentiger79 »

So the final pieces start falling into place tonight. Shepshed v Gresley. If Gresley lose I think they are down, can’t see them getting anything at Corby. a win then the pressure is really on us for Saturday. A draw, well who knows! So many possibilities still with just 2 games to go. Shame our goal difference took such a hit over those games recently.