One Player Short...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Oundle Diamond #2

One Player Short...

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

..in my eyes. A striker.

Jefferson Louis had one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a Diamonds player. He is the laziest donkey I have ever seen. He added to his collection of appauling acts by twice jogging when through, and not challenging for balls he could easily win. You have to question players character sometimes and if you can't try for a play-off semi there is something seriously wrong.

Cliff Akurang just lacks the confidence and pace to be a good player at this level, when he came on he did the simple things well, but didn't do enough.

Sam Smith as we saw at Kidderminster and other games isn't up to scratch at the moment, however I think he should be sent out on loan again, because he has more potential and drive than the other two.

Farrel, O'Connor and Tomlin are all good players however I don't think they can play the Target Man role well enough.

If you look at Stevenage, York and Oxford, they all have goalscoring target men - Constable, Brodie, Sills - I think if we are going to invest in one area of the pitch it needs to be a classic number 9! A big man who wins headers, scores goals, but most importantly becomes a fans favourite putting in the effort we haven't seen since the days of Duane! I know they are hard to come by, but I'm sure there must be one around - I just hope JEMS find him, I have faith.

Other than that I think our squad is good enough. We have a quality keeper, two full-backs who in my eyes could play higher in the future and a centre back pairing who compliment eachother excellently. We have two superb centre midfielders in Terry and Porter, and despite my hopes, I think Byrne won't be next year, he could easily do a job higher up in the ladder.

I just hope we use the money from Tomlin's potential sale, and Wolleastons probable release to buy a top quality Striker.
DiamondsFan

Re: One Player Short...

Post by DiamondsFan »

Smith just needs to hit the gym big time over the summer and get a solid run of games under his belt, then I think he'll be able to silence his critics.
Dazzler
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 92 times

Post by Dazzler »

DiamondsFan wrote:Smith just needs to hit the gym big time over the summer and get a solid run of games under his belt, then I think he'll be able to silence his critics.
Like Tommo did last season over the summer.
Rushdentom

Post by Rushdentom »

I agree that we need another striker but I think Farrell could be a great target-man based on his performance in the first-leg. I think this season he has been played out wide too often and hasn't started enough games.

I think we need a striker who will just finish all day, obviously C*ntstable and Brodie are out of our price range but Tubbs and Kedwell are realistic targets with the money we get from the inevitable sale of Tommo.

Smith will be a very good player but in my opinion he still needs another season to develop his physique and his skill.
MEMAN53

Post by MEMAN53 »

Liam Enver Marum has just been released from Eastbourne.

Only 22, and at 6 feet 3 inches, big and strong enough to meet that central striker / target man role.

Young enough for JEMS to mould into a useful player. Thought he looked quite a good player when Eastbourne played us at NP. Scored 10 for a struggling side last year in thier first season in the BSP. Possibly wouldn't expect too much money either!

Any thoughts gents!
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

MEMAN53 wrote:Liam Enver Marum has just been released from Eastbourne.

Only 22, and at 6 feet 3 inches, big and strong enough to meet that central striker / target man role.

Young enough for JEMS to mould into a useful player. Thought he looked quite a good player when Eastbourne played us at NP. Scored 10 for a struggling side last year in thier first season in the BSP. Possibly wouldn't expect too much money either!

Any thoughts gents!
Sounds good to me, get him on trial!
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Any thoughts gents!
What was his goal to game ratio this season?
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

TheIncognitoKid wrote:

Any thoughts gents!
What was his goal to game ratio this season?
10 goals in 40 games according to Soccerbase. About on a par with Az and Faz.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Let's not forget when O'Connor played for us on trial a couple of seasons or so ago he had a reputation of being a 30 plus a season goal scorer at a lower level and since playing at Conference level he has not matched that strike rate. :?