Rushden vs Crawley Match Thread

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Dukes

Re: Rushden vs Crawley Match Thread

Post by Dukes »

DiamondsFan wrote:I just think we lacked a plan B today. We tried 4-3-3 which is fair enough as we need to attack when we're at home but I feel we were being exploited over and over again in our lightweight midfield but JE didn't change it. I'm not slating JE because he knows what he's doing, but I think sometimes we do need to change to 4-4-2 when 4-3-3 clearly isnt working like today.
Yes we were overrun in midfield, but have to disagree that JE knows what he is doing, as he should have changed to 4-4-2 at half time when it was clear we needed another player in midfield.

Seems crazy to me that having acquired a number of wingers over the summer that JE still goes back to 4-3-3 and narrows the game.

Crawley are a well organised and physical team with some talented players - but player for player we are better than them. Our problem today was that the manager did not respond to the opposition's strengths and tactics or play to our strengths.

The addition of another forward in Sills this week was good news and he did well, but just to throw him in alongside Howe and O'Conner in the hope 3 up front would do the job, seems lazy thinking to me.

The manager lost the game, not the players.
LuckyHeather

Post by LuckyHeather »

R & D were bullied out of the game by a very well-organised, but very physical Crawley side. Crawley were good and definitely needed no help at all from an appalling referee who gave amost every decision to them, including bizzarely booking Rene Howe for allowing himself to be put in a headlock.

I have no doubt that at the end of the season that they will be there or thereabouts when it comes to promotion, but R & D need to be able to adapt mid-game. JE no doubt will learn a lot from yesterday. Sills needs to learn how his new teammates play becuase at times he looked a little lost, but he is a very good player.

PS Tim Sill has the knees of a fat baby. They had me mesmerised. :shock:
slc crawley

Post by slc crawley »

Dukes wrote:Crawley are a well organised and physical team with some talented players - but player for player we are better than them.
Ha ha, keep taking the medication.
mrhappy

Post by mrhappy »

Must agree with the Crawley poster.
Matt Tubbs would walk into our side. Eight goals already
They have some other quality players.
I do think JE has got a decent side together but I doubt we will make top 10 this season.Looks like we will take a fair bit more time to gel.
Sills may make a difference but we didn't threaten yesterday and goals are few and far between at the moment.
Still long way to go, hope I am proved wrong.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

I'll have what you're drinking Dukes! No way are we better man for man, we'll be lucky to get top 10 this season.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Biggles
Been Liked: 25 times

Post by Biggles »

Sara Pascoe wrote:I'll have what you're drinking Dukes! No way are we better man for man, we'll be lucky to get top 10 this season.
Must be very good stuff indeed, now i'm struggling to think which player is better than Tubbs.

Wish we ALL would realise that the likes of Crawley, Luton, Wimbledon and a few others will get the very best players because they can afford them and give them longer deals, we have to unearth little gems like Byrne on loan over a season and sign short term deals with players then face losing them next summer and rebuild every year which means struggling for the first half of every season and hopefully push on the second half to either a top ten finish and the odd playoff year, in which we may get lucky.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 32
DiamondsR4ever

Post by DiamondsR4ever »

Better Man For Man When you can throw Money at Players like Crawley i dont think so..

We have to play as a team we can't rely on that one or two player/s that will create a moment of magic and set of an offensive move.. We did this last year with Tommo, Byrne and terry to some respects and as a fan you would certainly look to them to create and perform.

This year i wouldn't know who to look to maybe az when he is Match fit
Rene Howe and green have both shown glimpses of their ability in certain games but they failed to show consistant performances.
R.I.P Dale Roberts, Never Forgotten.
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

Dukes wrote:Crawley are a well organised and physical team with some talented players - but player for player we are better than them.
Going through both teams the only place I feel we are better is the two full-backs. They have two Diamonds rejects!
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

Perhaps it was a bit strong saying man for man we had better players ;) - what I should have said was that their players were no better than ours - just better organised, which made all the difference.

Crawley have put a team together to win the league but as we all know money doesn't guarantee success - remember Mr Hill. What we saw was a team of good players (at Conference level), who are well organised and play to a system that works - fair play to their manager.

I can't see a reason for us not to be organised in a similar fashion. And I do believe, like Crawley, we also have good Conference level players but the strength of their teamwork and understanding of their game-plan and each other ensured their victory.

I appreciate JE continues to strengthen our squad eg Sills last night but as a result of the many changes in personnel we need to gel as a team. I'm sure with a few more games under our belt and hopefully a settled side we will emerge as a strong team again - similar to last season rise after an unspectacular start.
DiamondsFan

Post by DiamondsFan »

For the first time in a while, I agree with the Duke. Isn't it fun when we all get along? :geek: