Gary Mills...

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Diamond Dan

Re: Gary Mills...

Post by Diamond Dan »

Personally quite pleased. One thing that has struck me about our midfielders this season is, whilst all good players, they seem very much "the same" in terms of style. Good footballers but maybe lacking that "bite" so to speak, as well as lacking in experience. I honestly didn't think Terry was that good, but he was a key player due to his experience in the role - hopefully Millsy can bring something similar to the side in terms of experience and throw a few tackles in. If nothing else at least we know he will give 100%.

I didn't see the Mills/ Tomlin incident but lets not kid ourselves that either of them are angels. They are both wind-ups when on the pitch.

Mills has always been a cheeky chappy, maybe he might be able to lift some of the squad.
DiamondsR4ever

Post by DiamondsR4ever »

Mills was very good in his first stint at the club and he played well earloer in the season against us, he has never been that good at tackling some of his 'tackles' that went unbooked back in his early days would probably be straight reds now...

i think he deserves a chance it will definantly allow porter and power more freedom to create which, as has been shown by powers performances with corcoran in the holding role, they are both very good at.

Can he be any better than Spence and Keehan (at conference level he has done very well at a lower level/reserves) i hope so - touch wood.

i think he may prove to be a good addition to our 'fragile' team.

P*** T**** was very good at what he did, sit in the middle and dictate the pace and tempo of play, but i think he was alowed to do this due to byrne's work in the middle as he did twice the running of any midfielder would be required, Without a player like this and Tommo to drop into the gap our team has not connected in the same way playing a 4-3-3. there is always a gap between the middle and our defense/attack that was not there last season and i think that this is the main reason why it has no been so fruitful this year, having nothing to do with teams 'wising up' to the 4-3-3
R.I.P Dale Roberts, Never Forgotten.
coolcuts

Post by coolcuts »

Short term contract and of season
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

I asked Terry Westley about Millsy once, he said Millsy always thought he should be playing for Man. Utd :lol:
AFC R & D member number 34
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Two of Diamonds wrote:I asked Terry Westley about Millsy once, he said Millsy always thought he should be playing for Man. Utd :lol:
I remember that quote. A bit of confidence is OK but I think Gary was a bit OTT with that assessment. :oops:
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

65 posts for signing a new player. You would have thought we'd signed someone decent.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

BartonRaz wrote:65 posts for signing a new player. You would have thought we'd signed someone decent.
Not like you to be so negative. ;)
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Two of Diamonds wrote:I asked Terry Westley about Millsy once, he said Millsy always thought he should be playing for Man. Utd :lol:
Millsy handed in a transfer request during the Talbot era, possibly our first season in the Football League, because he was unhappy at being left out of the team. Talbot was asked on a radio interview if we had had any offers for him, and he replied "only Barcelona and Real Madrid, but Millsy turned them down 'cos he thought he could do better than them." :lol:

We know what we're getting with Mills, he'll work his bollocks off and be a complete pain in the arse for the opposition, but I really think we need a bit more height and muscle in midfield. Good luck to him though, I'm sure it'll only take one MotM performance from him and we'll have forgotten all about the Tomlin incident! ;)

As for the three spells debate, you could argue that Dale actually had three separate spells, two as a loan player and one as a Rushden player. His second loan spell went straight into his Rushden spell though, and he didn't miss any games inbetween.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

[quote="TwinkleToesTomlin"]Quick question for you statto's.. Is Gary Mills the first and only player to have had a third spell for the Diamonds??

Darren Watts had three spells with the club in the early years. Don't know if you are going to count that though as he didn't make a first team appearance during the second (not many in the others either).
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101
mrhappy

Post by mrhappy »

I have managed to keep positive through our current bad run, and certainly think Justin is the right man for the job. However, he must have been smoking some very strong stuff to sign Gary Mills. He is not what we need, all the clubs that have tried him in the last few years have found him lacking. An earlier poster says we did not give him enough of a chance last time, lots of clubs have given him chances and none were impressed.
I hope he proves me wrong, but I doubt that will happen.
A bizarre signing, one that really surprises me as I thought Justin had better judgement.