Let the good times roll!!!!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Re: Let the good times roll!!!!

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

It has to be that 3-0 win over K*ttering, just because of who it was against, and it was worth getting soaked on that concrete slab.. and what a team that was!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUvNa9-8 ... re=related
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

man we were totally buzzing, never felt anything like it, walking back to the car in irthlingborough, after the billy sharp winner.
when we were struggling and we beat yeovil at home. wins were so few and far between, whenever we won, it felt good.
leeds away. being one nil up away from home.
wet tuesday night, way to kettrin. tommo with a one on one. the away end went nuts.
gary butterworth scoring the eqaliser against rochdale. i though i was gunna cry. pleased as punch for him.
i can still see dale's face when he told us it'd gone in, away at kettrin. great keeper, a proper talent. gone too soon.
coventry away, 8-0, down to nine men, still singing.
david james picking the ball out of the net, away at west ham. he'd not done his homework on lowe.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Although I agree about the Mansfield 4-1 away game, and of course Bily Sharpe against the Cobblers and Boston, and Duane against Kettrin at Ratshit Road, and Chester when we formally won the Conference, and Paul Hall's equaliser against Chelts in Cardiff (and even Gareth Ainsworth two goals AGAINST us for QPR), and the Leeds away game (who can forget 3000 Diamonds fans all trying to photograph the scoreboard when it read "Leeds United 0 Rushden & Diamonds 1"?), or Sheffield United away, and Kelly's amazing fluke in the pissing rain in Bristol, and so many more, I have three memories which are not about goals, or action - or at least not directly, but they sum up the warmth, the spirit, and the FUN we had...

The first was when some guy was brought onto the pitch at half time by Rick the announcer, and knelt in front of his girlfriend to propose, right in front of the de Banke Terrace - and then, before Rick could give him the microphone, the whole Terrace, as one person, struck up the spontaneous chant of "You don't know what you're doing!".

The second was in the coach on the way to the Leeds replay. Our coach was very boisterous, and there was non-stop singing all the way up the M1, I mean utterly non-stop, and then the coach came off the motorway, round a corner, and stopped at some traffic lights right in front of the huge bulk of Elland Road, and the whole coach fell silent at the sight.... and then a quiet little voice at the back, dripping with bravado, said, sneeringly, "Huh! Call that a ****ing stadium?"

But the standout moment was coming home from a meeting, to find my teenage lads glued to the teletext, and screaming at me as I went into their room, "Dad, dad! Hereford have just scored a last minute winner against Woevile! We're up. we're up!"

Then we piled into the car, and for no reason, drove down to Nene Park and drove around the ground sounding the car horn, before rushing into a virtually empty Strikers, where a few of us over the next ten minutes gathered, then within haf an hour, there were loads of us, all celebrating, and then we persuaded Max Griggs and Stephen to join us, then the players, and then we had a party with Max standing on a table to give an impromptu speech... marvellous, marvellous memories!

Let's hope we can create some more in the next few years (in a more sustainable way) to tell our grandchildren!

The second
AFCR&D Member Number 38 - Proud member of a Community Football Club, currently in exile in West Wales!
Diamondsiy

Post by Diamondsiy »

i have a few :) 09/10 - luton away when we won 2.0 and i went mental in the luton end :lol: and oxford away in play offs, quality day out and amazing support we took there, and ill never forget louis beening a f**king lazy dickhead in that game either!

Then there was sharps goals, first v boston when he came on and destoryed them, and the last min winner v cobblers

jacksons goal v oxford when we smashed them 5.0 at home, he took whole team on and scored a beauty!

then there was tomlins goal v kidderminster at home when he flicked it up and volleyed it into top hand corner of net

rankines goal v aldershit in cup,

cant remember anymore :oops:
AFC RUSHDEN & DIAMONDS - Member No: 380
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

I'd completely forgotten watching teletext for the Hereford Yeovil result. Sitting all evening watching the old invision vidiprinter on Ceefax.

When the result came up 13-year-old me cheered and ran round the living room several times :mrgreen:

Walking away from the Millennium stadium chanting "We're gonna win the league" was a good moment, even with the result.

Sam Smith scoring the winner in the season Benny finally resigned, after everything we'd suffered on the pitch that season. Burge dominated that game in the midfield, just a class above and with the captains armband on he stepped up, I remember him running around trying to gee up his team mates after every miss, congratulating everyone after a good tackle or pass.

Chris Hope was the first to start jumping to Jump Up, Dale's grin was so wide as he joined in and kept going. JE had got a team that had faltered so badly through the season to be so up for that game they were never going to lose.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
supersub

Post by supersub »

And didn't we have an 8 O somewhere along the line? Was it Gateshead at home?!!
OsanoIsKing

Post by OsanoIsKing »

This is bringing back some wonderful memories, sending shivers down my spine thinking of some of the brilliant times i've witnessed.

That night down at Aldershot was one i'll never forget, the atmosphere was top quality from start to finnish, then Ranks' poking the ball over the line with his nose made it even louder, goosebumps thinking about it.

I rememer walking into Kenilworth Road 09/10 i think it was and being dissapointed at the lack of fans there, but then the atmosphere everyone created was unreal.

Tamworth away with everyone in crazy shirts was a fanastic sight! However Wrexham away with fancy dress..walking around with a monkey, a penguin, and a mankini wearing donkey just to name a few. Beautiful sunny day and I think we'd been confirmed as in the play offs so everyone was in good spirits. That was one of my top 3 away games I think, on comedy value.

Making both trips to Workington aswell, am i the only one to go both? think there was 15-20 for fa cup game and 7 of us for the Tuesday night F.A trophy replay.

I've been asked a few times lately if I feel stupid having a tattoo of a football club that doesn't exist anymore, but not one bit. Reminds me of all the good times, and there are plenty of them!
DiamondEejit

Post by DiamondEejit »

AFCRUSHDEN_SIY wrote:i have a few :) 09/10 - luton away when we won 2.0 and i went mental in the luton end :lol:
I was in the Luton end for that one too, 2 of my mates are Luton season ticket holders and had got me a free ticket, I was sat behind the goal where both were scored, will never forget Tomlins celebration in front of the Luton fans who had been giving him stick all game, he went mad, and amongst all the Luton fans gesturing and shouting at him, and I was just sat there in the middle of it all grinning :lol:
"Reputations mean nothing here, come any where near me on that pitch and I'll kick you over the far stand."

♦Dale Roberts♦ - Forever and always Rushden's number 1
ID

Post by ID »

2-0 win versus Leyton Orient in 2005. It was my first game, and our first win in something like 15 matches. The whole team ran to Barry Hunter to celebrate Rob Gier's late goal. Bell scored a fairly decent strike a couple of minutes later to seal it.

5-0 versus Oxford. Great game to be at. Couldn't really ask for much more! I think we all knew after seeing Simeon's goal that he'd go far.

Sam Smith's late winner against K*ttering, and the celebrations that followed. That was my first Northants derby. "Jump Up If You Hate K*ttering!" Our win over them in the FA Cup last season at Rockingham Road was also enjoyable.

I remember the 13-year old version of me wasting around €25 of my dad's phone credit whilst abroad by trying to find out whether we had won Division 3. For some reason the internet on his phone wasn't working, so I didn't find out until a couple of weeks later, by seeing that that week's issue of Match magazine had a cut-out-and-keep RDFC champions poster!

I got a letter from Barry Hunter after my first game (my dad organised it somehow!), signed by a selection of some of the most average players in our history - Sean Connolly, Craig Dove, Adrian Littlejohn... :lol: A nice person touch by the club though.

Lots of good memories, and luckily these will be the ones that I remember. Let's hope AFCRD brings more of the same.
RUSHDEN and DIAMONDS
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

ID wrote: Adrian Littlejohn... :lol:
Come on Joey, we're supposed to be remembering the good times here. Don't spoil it. ;)
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291