A tad off topic..

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
olio

Re: A tad off topic..

Post by olio »

Sara Pascoe wrote:Remembering this gives us another opportunity to wax lyrical about that side:

F*** me that was an awesome side, I don't think I'll ever love a team as much as I loved that 2009-2011 team, even at the end it just had something about it. We basically saw Aaron O'Connor at his peak and even though he didn't get 20 goals a season, he was just awesome, never gave up. :D I will never get tired of watching that 3rd goal for as long as I live.

Today I will have a smile on my face, just remembering that night. :D
Agree totally, I'd go as far as saying that was my favoruite ever Diamonds side. No real stars (apart from Tomlin or Byrne), but a real togetherness and 'never say die' attitude in that team. Solid at the back, creation and steel in midfield and a pretty good attack, led by Justin and Stoney, who both did wonders that season. So many great memories of that season :D I'd also go as far as saying that we were good enough to go up that year, and we probably should have gone up... :cry:
'...Wardley again.... Now Butterworth trying to provide some inspiration; What will the response be from Rushden??? IT'S A GOAL FROM ONANDI LOWE!!!!.... Third Division POSF 2nd leg; Rochdale 1 Rushden & Diamonds 2 Tuesday 30th April 2002
TwinkleToesTomlin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by TwinkleToesTomlin »

I'd agree with that, thats the most enjoyment I've had from watching a diamonds team, and you're right we WAS good enough to go up. I think Rene Howe came 6 months too late, I've always said, if we O'Connor and Tommo playing off him instead of Louis or Gash, we would probably be back in the football league by now.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
RushdenTillIDie

Post by RushdenTillIDie »

Sara Pascoe wrote:Was about to post this on D.M. Glad someone else has remembered! :D :D :D

"3-0 up and we're getting wet, 3-0 up and we're getting wet!"

Must've been a nice birthday? ;)
Honestly was my best birthday Ever...Got absobloodylutely smashed after that game and missed work the next day - What a season and what a team!

Can't wait for Saturday football to return btw..I work evenings so haven't seen a single game this year but have made donations and watched the highlights and i'll be there next season whatever league we're in and i'll be bringing plenty throughout the season too...we'll have the crowds back!

Up the diamonds!
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

4 years ago today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJprWTNVH34

Another goal that I won't get tired of watching. If only Ranks had scored that chance at the end of normal time, or Tomlin had scored that chance right at the end of extra time! Dale also got really close to saving one of their penalties. Awesome night. :D :D
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

TwinkleToesTomlin wrote:I'd agree with that, thats the most enjoyment I've had from watching a diamonds team, and you're right we WAS good enough to go up. I think Rene Howe came 6 months too late, I've always said, if we O'Connor and Tommo playing off him instead of Louis or Gash, we would probably be back in the football league by now.
Gash was the next season, he was Howe's replacement.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
TwinkleToesTomlin

My bad, but you get my drift, I reckon if we had Howe in that Playoff team our story would be a lot different to what it eventually was. But Hey Ho.
A true outlaw finds the balance between the passion in his heart and the reason in his mind. The outcome is the balance of might and right.
TwinkleToesTomlin

Probably thinking of Sills, he was a let down aswel.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by therushden »

sure i never saw sills score. he used to score against us all the time...
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

He scored the goal in our 1-0 win at home to Mansfield, which was on Premier Sports. He missed a really good chance at 0-0 at Kiddy as well, I don't remember him apart from that.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
olio

Post by olio »

TwinkleToesTomlin wrote:My bad, but you get my drift, I reckon if we had Howe in that Playoff team our story would be a lot different to what it eventually was. But Hey Ho.
Or that lad we had on loan, Wes Thomas. Banged them in at Cheltenham last season and now scoring quite a few goals for Bournemouth in League One. If only he had been fit for the Play Offs...
'...Wardley again.... Now Butterworth trying to provide some inspiration; What will the response be from Rushden??? IT'S A GOAL FROM ONANDI LOWE!!!!.... Third Division POSF 2nd leg; Rochdale 1 Rushden & Diamonds 2 Tuesday 30th April 2002