[ Sat 24th Aug ] v Sleaford Town KO 3pm UCLP HOME

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Brownie
Been Liked: 30 times

Re: [ Sat 24th Aug ] v Sleaford Town KO 3pm UCLP HOME

Post by Brownie »

Do we have supporters who still think we are a full time professional club who either train or play 6 days a week 46 weeks a year. This is year 2 for a new club we ain't at Nene Park anymore, we are playing level 5 football & actually are doing it pretty well with a usefull squad of players who have day jobs & play football for pleasure not a living. I think if you had offered everyone in the room at that meeting just over 2 years ago what has been achieved so far, they would have assumed you were mad & took your hand off, so lets enjoy what's happening & how things are progressing & not loose sight of who we are.
Last edited by Brownie on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mat.H

Post by Mat.H »

What pleased me was the starting 11 on saturday only 2 were new as promised Starms has kept the majority of last season's team and none of them have lat him down so far.
AFC R&D Membership No 283
STAGMAN
Been Liked: 13 times

Post by STAGMAN »

I didn,t think that Sleaford were a bad side , played some good football, we will play a lot worse sides than them throughout the campaign
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

they were a good side, closed us down quickly in the first half. the goal made the game more open in the 2nd half, and we created some lovely chances.
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
dazSRJFC

Post by dazSRJFC »

Brownie: Could n`t agree more.

I`ve spent quite a bit of this weekend talking to people who ask me about the club and Nene Park etc etc. It seems there`s a lot of people who think we are the old club still. I spoke to an old R&D season ticket holder who used to go to the away matches on the coach, and he whined about getting to Wellingborough and the parking situation. Odd for someone who was prepared to travel away. But I spread the gospel nonetheless and bribed with alcohol, so we`ll see what happens.
Perhaps we need to go on a marketing assault to tell people who we are and that we`re NOT R&D and we don`t play at NP. There`s still more than a few old Griggs employees who thought that their wage raises and bonuses disappeared into a big pot mark R&DFC, and still hate them, and by association hate US! I know things take a while to filter through , but really? I guess these are the people that used to read the ET on a nightly basis.
AFC R&D Member Number 443
Brownie
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Brownie »

[quote="dazSRJFC"]Brownie: Could n`t agree more.

I`ve spent quite a bit of this weekend talking to people who ask me about the club and Nene Park etc etc. It seems there`s a lot of people who think we are the old club still. I spoke to an old R&D season ticket holder who used to go to the away matches on the coach, and he whined about getting to Wellingborough and the parking situation. Odd for someone who was prepared to travel away. But I spread the gospel nonetheless and bribed with alcohol, so we`ll see what happens.
Perhaps we need to go on a marketing assault to tell people who we are and that we`re NOT R&D and we don`t play at NP. There`s still more than a few old Griggs employees who thought that their wage raises and bonuses disappeared into a big pot mark R&DFC, and still hate them, and by association hate US! I know things take a while to filter through , but really? I guess these are the people that used to read the ET on a nightly basis.[/quote

Then lets organise a bring a friend day. Everyone who is either. Season ticket holder or member can bring someone for 1/2 price to a home game, and do it before Oct is done & the weather changes. Between us we then either take the old NP fans or they see we had a home gate of 1200 & can't resist a visit next time we play. Either way they can all see what AFC R&D is about & if 10% of them buy into it we have an additional 75 supporters. We will all recognise the new faces so we meet & greet them make a fuss have a army of Club ambassadors on the day show them round & with a bit of luck they join the party. If they don't :o well at least we tried.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 85 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

dazSRJFC wrote:we`re NOT R&D.
I don't understand why people are so keen to burn any link to RDFC! Some Griggs employers are no lose to us at all if they hated us 10 years ago, they will hate us still. I celebrate the team i supported for so long and i still enjoy supporting the team today in a new club.
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

Rushdenjim wrote:
dazSRJFC wrote:we`re NOT R&D.
I don't understand why people are so keen to burn any link to RDFC! Some Griggs employers are no lose to us at all if they hated us 10 years ago, they will hate us still. I celebrate the team i supported for so long and i still enjoy supporting the team today in a new club.
I find it very interesting how there are two sides to this discussion. I had a lengthy discussion with another poster on here about how we felt about AFCRD in relation to the R&D. Personally, I feel like there is a definite difference between the two, mainly brought on by the years gap in first team football. However, he sees it as the other way, in that AFCRD is simply an extension.

How do others feel?
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

There is no simple answer. We chose to be a "version" of Rushden & Diamonds as that's the name we wished to follow. The CLUB is the fans, and now the membership including the players, and NOT the person who held all the financial strings as in Rushden & Diamonds (2008) Ltd. That's definately NOT us, but we ARE Rushden & Diamonds, just OUR version in a new format, one that we do not wish to give to those undesirables
AFC R & D member number 34
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

We need to make sure that AFCR&D do not have the same reputation among youth clubs as R&D did otherwise we are chuffed.