Starms is NOT happy (PNS Highlights)

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
ron manager

Starms is NOT happy (PNS Highlights)

Post by ron manager »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH_n0ImV ... e=youtu.be

He is not/was not a happy chappy. Mentioned looking for new players in the interview. I thought he would be honest, and that's something I really like about the guy, says it how it is.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Re: Starms is NOT happy (PNS Highlights)

Post by Trek »

I've just posted something similar on the 'keeping the faith' thread. Seems it's OK for the manager to express his criticism in public on his team's performance, particularly the poor second half defending, but not for some of us dedicated fans on an unofficial fans forum. :(
ron manager

Post by ron manager »

Trek wrote:I've just posted something similar on the 'keeping the faith' thread. Seems it's OK for the manager to express his criticism in public on his team's performance, particularly the poor second half defending, but not for some of us dedicated fans on an unofficial fans forum. :(
Oh, wheres that "stirring" smiley, I watch this thread for some fun me thinks :wink:
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Trek wrote:I've just posted something similar on the 'keeping the faith' thread. Seems it's OK for the manager to express his criticism in public on his team's performance, particularly the poor second half defending, but not for some of us dedicated fans on an unofficial fans forum. :(
It goes without saying that I second that.

Really enjoyed the interview post-match. Well I didn't because we lost but I did in the sense that Starms has told it exactly as it is. Those of us who can remember the Garry Hill and Ernie Tippett interviews in which heads were firmly buried in the sand will appreciate Starms' honesty. I have to admit I was a little shocked that he openly said we'll be looking elsewhere, but maybe that'll be a kick up the arse for those in the side that we know can perform better.

Parallels can definitely be drawn between where we're at right now and where we were after the Eynesbury game a year ago. If the response is anything like it was post-Eynesbury last season then i'll be a happy man! We've got the players to do it but consistency is key and we can't keep churning out Cambridge/Deeping/Dunstable performances and then following them up with PNS/London Colney/Cockfosters.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Everyweeker
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Everyweeker »

BartonRaz wrote:We've got the players to do it but consistency is key
I think this is the point where people started to disagree after the PNS game, and why I ended up siding strongly with the 'over-reaction' camp on twitter, if not here.

I didn't attend Tuesday, but I have no doubt it was a frustrating performance with some individual errors (listened on the radio). However, I think that what sparked the debate on here was a few comments where people went further than this.

Suddenly, Jamal was not good enough and hadn't been all season etc etc. I think these more personal attacks on season-long performances were exceedingly unfair, given all that the squad and players had achieved thus far. It was the loss of perspective that I think, frustrated some (not that I am accusing you are Trek in particular of this).

By all means we should disagree on here, and critique performances, but one loss doesn't suddenly make half the team not good enough, even if we would like to strengthen. Top 4 is still very much on, and I haven't seen too many argue with that.

Onwards and upwards, but lets try and stay united with the players who are clearly giving their all, even if we think it might be necessary to make a few changes here and there over the course of a few games.

For what its worth, I think Jamal is an excellent prospect.
Member Number: 21
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Everyweeker wrote:
BartonRaz wrote:We've got the players to do it but consistency is key
For what its worth, I think Jamal is an excellent prospect.
As do I. I wouldn't condone any personal attacks on players and certainly don't do it myself.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Everyweeker, my annoyance was similar to that after the Huntingdon League defeat, another match which I believe you didn't witness. In both matches we were level at halftime and possibly could have been conceivably winning and then we proceeded to be out thought and out played in the second period. Whilst on Tuesday our defence appeared to be the weak link I also think poor tactics played a big part. The direct play to Dunks is great when it works and he's winning every aerial ball and/or scoring goals but unfortunately there were many times on Tuesday when the large and determined defenders were on top and the same applied at Huntingdon in the second half and then to me there doesn't seem to to be a Plan B and perhaps our management need to address this issue.
Brownie
Been Liked: 29 times

Post by Brownie »

Trek wrote:Everyweeker, my annoyance was similar to that after the Huntingdon League defeat, another match which I believe you didn't witness. In both matches we were level at halftime and possibly could have been conceivably winning and then we proceeded to be out thought and out played in the second period. Whilst on Tuesday our defence appeared to be the weak link I also think poor tactics played a big part. The direct play to Dunks is great when it works and he's winning every aerial ball and/or scoring goals but unfortunately there were many times on Tuesday when the large and determined defenders were on top and the same applied at Huntingdon in the second half and then to me there doesn't seem to to be a Plan B and perhaps our management need to address this issue.
That makes a bit more sense Trek IMO :D we have enough people involved to have options though again IMO would prefer the wording to change from defence to defending being the weak link it is after all a team game & unlike netball everyone can go everywhere. Though would love to hear what options we would recommend after all with the exception of Jamal all the rest were there last season. Point on the long ball issue. If Joe has ball & is moving forward, The position Brad plays means he's likely to be level at best. Dunks has always and may possibly remain so be playing on the last defender, Alfie has the horseshoe arch around Dunks to play in, which gives Joe options, his wide right man if he's made a move & some space, Kingy in the middle, across the back 4 to switch play, or Dunks. If we don't play with front men dropping back into holes then options of forward play are limited, would you not agree.
FOOTYMAN
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 1 time

Post by FOOTYMAN »

I am surprised Starms has indicated they need to look elsewhere and possibly bring in new faces. He has the players available to him, they just need motivating to go out and perform at a level expected of them and a level at which they are capable of playing. It won't be good to see any further losses of personnel, the team was playing okay and gelling nicely.
HE just needs to MANAGE them.
Turveyman

Post by Turveyman »

Much depends on what Starms' brief is. If it is to challenge for promotion this season, he needs to add to the squad.
Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.