[ Sat 1st Nov ] v Sleaford Town, KO 3pm UCLP AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Re: [ Sat 1st Nov ] v Sleaford Town, KO 3pm UCLP AWAY

Post by Formic »

Sleaford really didn't have a lot to offer (other than constant whingeing at the ref - which turned into a vicious circle). We might have been a couple ahead at half-time, as we'd also hit the bar and missed a couple of good chances, but perhaps that meant we had to retain focus better when playing into the wind than we had done against Kempston. Adam Confue had a great game, as did the back four, almost others had "hot and cold" periods. Its great to see players of the calibre and Turner and Joseph joining the action , and EL-J's nutmeg of the Sleaford left-back was sublime (although it did turn him into Mr Angry as a result).
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

As I said on Twitter, weird game, weird place. Certainly the most desolate place I've ever seen a game. We never really had to get out of first gear once we'd scored (awesome strike). They'll probably take points off the better sides at home simply because of that pitch, which was awful. It must be really difficult to get up for a game at that ground, I wouldn't like to be there at a usual home game with <50 in the ground.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

A very business like/professional performance if not spectacular certainly an efficient and thoroughly deserved win.

All the back four played well and barring injury should start the next game - I thought the Dolman/Ashton partnership looked very solid.

Confue was my motm personally, although others put in a good shout for it, I just thought his work rate edged it for me.

Sleaford will take points off sides and we shouldn't forget they took a point off of Huntingdon and beat Cogenhoe - so an excellent 3 points away from home.

An enjoyable day out, good grub at the pub we went to (plus some excellent ale) and a win too - looking forward to the Wisbech trip already as hopefully another 3 points - after a cup win on Tuesday obviously - happy days :)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
MarkH
The Staff
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by MarkH »

My wife and I had an enjoyable day up in Sleaford. The traffic jam trying to find parking in Sleaford town centre was a bit worrying when going over the level crossing (god I hate them). Still, nice lunch in a café right opposite the pub with all the Halloween decorations up the outside of it.

As for the match we played well in the blustery conditions and deserved the lead at half time. My main concern was ELJ's noticeable attitude which ended up in him getting a booking late in the second half, then watch him storm off the pitch when substituted removing his shirt then kicking out at something in the corridor on the way to the changing rooms.

Can only guess it was being substituted but is there really any need for that attitude !!
Unofficial Real Bedford forum
https://realbedfordforum.uk/

Unofficial AFC Rushden & Diamonds forum
https://www.afcdiamondsforum.uk/
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

MarkH wrote:My wife and I had an enjoyable day up in Sleaford. The traffic jam trying to find parking in Sleaford town centre was a bit worrying when going over the level crossing (god I hate them). Still, nice lunch in a café right opposite the pub with all the Halloween decorations up the outside of it.

As for the match we played well in the blustery conditions and deserved the lead at half time. My main concern was ELJ's noticeable attitude which ended up in him getting a booking late in the second half, then watch him storm off the pitch when substituted removing his shirt then kicking out at something in the corridor on the way to the changing rooms.

Can only guess it was being substituted but is there really any need for that attitude !!
I think you must have missed the fact that several Sleaford players were trying to get the ref to give Elliott a red card (which was why he was taken off), and then the number 3 had a go at him as he was walking off the pitch - totally out of order, and clearly because he had been embarrassed by the nutmeg earlier.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

The officials, although they gave far much more in our favour, were just appauling.
Diamond Warrior

Post by Diamond Warrior »

Where was Gyasi today?
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Not available according to Andy
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

The linesmen were especially bad on offsides. Most times they weren't looking to see whether the attacker was onside as the ball was played. It was frustrating to watch several runs that were clearly made from behind the defender get called for offside.

Re: ELJ, he should be 3rd in-line for that position, behind Gearing and Gyasi. It's a shame that Gyasi wasn't available today because I'm sure we were all looking forward to seeing him against after last Saturday. Hopefully Gearing will play on Tuesday and then maybe vs. Wisbech as well, if not then it has to be Gyasi, ELJ is just too inconsistent and shies from challenges where the other two get stuck in.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
bozzer
Has Liked: 33 times
Been Liked: 50 times

Post by bozzer »

Bob's Bitch wrote:The linesmen were especially bad on offsides. Most times they weren't looking to see whether the attacker was onside as the ball was played. It was frustrating to watch several runs that were clearly made from behind the defender get called for offside.

Re: ELJ, he should be 3rd in-line for that position, behind Gearing and Gyasi. It's a shame that Gyasi wasn't available today because I'm sure we were all looking forward to seeing him against after last Saturday. Hopefully Gearing will play on Tuesday and then maybe vs. Wisbech as well, if not then it has to be Gyasi, ELJ is just too inconsistent and shies from challenges where the other two get stuck in.
So the best way to make him more consistent is to play him less???

I think he's the best talent we have and he's still young. He'd be one of the first names on my team sheet every week.
AFC R&D Member No. 67