KOC v Yaxley

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Re: KOC v Yaxley

Post by Pigman »

Give the U21's a runout - it'll be good experience for them and I'd have faith in them (and turn out to support them) to do a good job. Yaxley are a good side and they will definately be up for this. Keep our boys fresh and fit for the games that matter.

While it's always good to win silverware and fun to contest/win a cup final, as has already been said, this is a competition that I don't really care about to be honest. We've got plenty of cup finals to go to already this season ;)
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
James Beil

Post by James Beil »

Given that the only competition the club has ever won was the NSYL Cup, I don't think we can afford to think of any silverware as 'pointless'. When we've got a full trophy cabinet, we can pick and choose, but until then I don't think we should turn our noses up at any trophies. No better way to leave the UCL then by winning the league and the cup all at once!
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Pigman »

James Beil wrote:Given that the only competition the club has ever won was the NSYL Cup, I don't think we can afford to think of any silverware as 'pointless'. When we've got a full trophy cabinet, we can pick and choose, but until then I don't think we should turn our noses up at any trophies. No better way to leave the UCL then by winning the league and the cup all at once!
We don't own a Trophy cabinet, and when we get one I want to see the UCL Prem trophy in there on its own ;)

I get your point - but why take risks with potential injuries and suspensions?
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
updiamonds

Post by updiamonds »

Pigman wrote:
James Beil wrote:Given that the only competition the club has ever won was the NSYL Cup, I don't think we can afford to think of any silverware as 'pointless'. When we've got a full trophy cabinet, we can pick and choose, but until then I don't think we should turn our noses up at any trophies. No better way to leave the UCL then by winning the league and the cup all at once!
We don't own a Trophy cabinet, and when we get one I want to see the UCL Prem trophy in there on its own ;)

I get your point - but why take risks with potential injuries and suspensions?

Last year the Vase distracted us from the league, (and I don't want the same to happen to us again) its difficult.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Sure we can. The FA Vase isn't pointless, because it means a day out at Wembley, a significant payout and winning a prestigious tournament. I don't think you can call the UCL Knockout Cup anywhere near prestigious, I don't believe there's any prize money and last year the final was held at Yaxley.

IMO if you don't remember your team winning it in the future, then it's pointless and no one will remember how we performed in this tournament. I can sort of understand why there's a League Cup in the Football League, but in leagues like this it just seems like a waste of money for clubs who have to host these games at a loss. I don't think anyone would mind if these tournaments were scrapped.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

The last two winners were Huntingdon and Spalding. It is several years since any team did the double.......what a legacy we could leave!

If we beat Yaxley there is only one more game (the semi final) to be played before the end of the league season (the final is probably scheduled for 2nd May) and that is likely to be against Wisbech so neither contender for the title is likely to be disadvantaged.

I say go for it!
Brownie
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Brownie »

If we won the UCL League Cup at the expense of promotion it wouldn't be pointless it would be an f.in disaster. We don't have a big squad to a point we only have 3 fit recognised defenders, whatever Peaksy chooses to do ill support him, but as much as I'd love a cup final I want to wave goodbye to the UCL much much more.
Olly
Has Liked: 12 times
Been Liked: 106 times

Post by Olly »

Yep, agree with what's been said, give our youngsters and reserves a run out, a KOC win would be nice to top off the end of the season and hopefully one in which we finish as champions, but just 'nice' is all it would be, if we win the league at the end of April and the KOC a week later, we certainly won't be raving about the KOC win for years to come and there's no point risking injuries for it. Where is the final usually held out of interest?
R.I.P. Dale Roberts

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No. 308
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Judging by the last couple of finals, it seems to be held at a UCL ground equidistant to both finalists. So if we got to the final I'm guessing it would be; Potton = Eynesbury/Kempston, Sileby = Cogenhoe, Lutterworth = Desborough (?), Holbeach = Yaxley/PNS.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Sid
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by Sid »

Bob's Bitch wrote:Judging by the last couple of finals, it seems to be held at a UCL ground equidistant to both finalists. So if we got to the final I'm guessing it would be; Potton = Eynesbury/Kempston, Sileby = Cogenhoe, Lutterworth = Desborough (?), Holbeach = Yaxley/PNS.
Yeah that's probably about right. About 4 years ago I watched the final between PNS and St Ives at Raunds, decent turnout from both sets of fans.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member - 101