[ Mon 4th May ] Potton Utd v AFC Rushden & Diamonds, KO 3pm

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Re: [ Mon 4th May ] Potton Utd v AFC Rushden & Diamonds, KO

Post by BartonRaz »

Trek wrote:Very enjoyable afternoon. Terrific crowd of 768 and a fitting end to a marvellous season.
Well said, thoroughly enjoyable afternoon. Pity Yaxley/UCL couldn't sort out some decent catering facilities though.

I thought Tom Lorraine was outstanding today, a really exceptional performance from him. Took a little while for us to get going in the first half but second half was good entertainment.

I've not looked forward to a new season so much in a long time, regardless of what league we're in!
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Formic
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Formic »

TheIncognitoKid wrote:A comfortable victory in the end as Afc showed why they were a division above. Although Potton had a few half chances and a number of corners, there was only going to be one winner. Brilliant performances from Ashton, Confue, Bunting and my MOTM Tom Lorraine. ELJ filled in well at left-back and Finlay was alert when called upon with Pottons long ball tactics. Only Disappointment for me was again the performance of Tommy Berwick, whose shooting and ideas are quite poor at times. It may come from a high expectancy level of the player, but he really hasn't fitted in as an AFC player yet. Also with such a young bench today, I think we may have seen the last of Turner and Dunkley. You would have thought they would have been involved today. But all in all a great end to a successful double winning season!
Tom Lorraine was excellent today, and would be my MoM too. I'd agree with the other players you've credited, but Brad was solid again, and Joe Merrill put in a real shift given how little football he's played this season. It was a shame the UCL couldn't use some of the huge gate receipts they will be pocketing for a bottle or two of bubbly to be sprayed around on the pitch.

I will miss the trips to Yaxley - especially as I won a prize in their raffle - at one point the Yaxley chairman was chastised for selling his tickets before the UCL guys had a chance to increase their revenues with programme sales.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Is there any prize money for winning either the UCL or the League Cup? If not, then one wonders what exactly all of this gate money goes towards, other than traveling expenses...
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Bobos

Post by Bobos »

A good win today with players out of position, but in the end class shone through.
I feel a bit sorry for Potton to finish third and miss out on promotion and then come runners up in the cup.

Now I know a lot of you slag the UCL off, but I have had first hand experience being on the board. In fairness to them, a lot of people work very hard behind the scenes to make sure that all the games are refereed and go ahead.
They are not helped by an incompetent FA who have no idea what happens at this level of football.
Everyone on the board tries their best to ensure that grass roots football continues to grow and prosper.
SouthRushdenJFC
Has Liked: 43 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by SouthRushdenJFC »

Bobos wrote:They are not helped by an incompetent FA who have no idea what happens at this level of football.
Everyone on the board tries their best to ensure that grass roots football continues to grow and prosper.
It's clear to me that the FA, in it's current guise is not fit for purpose. Simplistically there should be two strands of FA, one dealing with the pro game and the other with grassroots.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Nice report from a Ground Hopper, and a smashing picture of Graham twirling his scarf.

http://weallstandtogether.blogspot.co.u ... 0825362638
bedforddiamond

Post by bedforddiamond »

SouthRushdenJFC wrote:
Bobos wrote:They are not helped by an incompetent FA who have no idea what happens at this level of football.
It's clear to me that the FA, in it's current guise is not fit for purpose. Simplistically there should be two strands of FA, one dealing with the pro game and the other with grassroots.
:lol: There are two strands at the FA, the Professional Game Board looks after the Professional game (PGB) and the (NGB) National Game Board looks after the Grassroots game. Obviously the FA have been successful in getting this message over :shock:
updiamonds

Post by updiamonds »

768 a good attendance, nice way to finish off the season, to win the double. :D

A nice 3-0 win, :D

Lorraine MOTM for me, Ashton played well.

A interesting fact, 3 out of the last 4 UCL cup finals have been played at Yaxley.
therushden
Has Liked: 138 times
Been Liked: 7 times

Post by therushden »

maybe because they have plenty of parking :)
Dale Roberts. England's number 1.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 50
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

Or maybe because most of the UCL board live close by, and Yaxley do good cake?
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297