Who would we want in playoffs?

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Who would we want in playoffs?

Post by sussexdiamond »

My best scenario thinking is Luton to win the league.
Stevenage runners up.Us Third. Oxford 4th. York 5th

Then we can play a very beatable Oxford away first leg and then home second leg.

At the moment my only concern is how tired are we? Could York pip us to fourth place.?

We still have some tough games at Kiddy, Mansfield and Wrexham.

York still have to play AFC away and Stevenage away on last game of season.(plus 4 easy home games)

With us at home to Luton on 24th and Oxford away to Eastbourne it could be quite an exciting climax.
sussexdiamond
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 59 times

Re: Who would we want in playoffs?

Post by sussexdiamond »

Correction York are at home to AFC on wednesday.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

We looked pretty knackered on Friday night, after our 3rd game in 6 days. Having said that our fixture list eases up a little on the run-in, so we can nurse the players back to full fitness, nice and rested.
Your scenario suits me down to the ground as I did dream that we played a team in red and white at Wembley so that suits Stevenage (ok the team we played was in stripes but I think Stevenidge used to play in stripes?)
AFC R & D member number 34
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Agreed with SD, a demoralised Stevenage would be a far better prospect in the mini competition than a ultra-firing Luton. I imagine facing Oxford away in the second leg Semi-Final would be nice as well, they buckled under the pressure in 2007 and I'd bet on them doing the same this year. They've been crap since the turn of the year and I think we could easily take them. We should be aiming for 3rd/4th and if results go our way this week I think we could be in a great position to get it.
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

For selfish reasons York. I could easily get to the away game (and have a mate on my course who's a city fan).
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

Without tempting fate, I don't think we'll get York unless we finish second or both us overtake Oxford. Luton/Stevenage could happen given how tight things are between ourselves and York. My gut feeling is that it would be Oxford that we would get in the Semis.

It would be perfectly set up, given the rather minor rivalry we've sort of had since Talbot went there, along with all those former players that have played (and still play) for them. I also feel it would be ironic given that we both went down together in 2006, if we battled it out with each other to get back up.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I want Stevenage.

We can beat them, as we have proved, and in both games this season i haven't been overly impressed with them.

I don't really want Oxford, they always seem to raise their game against us.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
CountHermanDeBanker

Post by CountHermanDeBanker »

I'll take any of them - I think we have the squad to beat all comers and should fear no-one.

By the way, we will still finish as champions anyway, so it's irrespective really.

8-) :D
“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Groucho Marx
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

My prediction:-

Stevenage v. York
Oxford V. Diamonds

Diamonds to beat Stevenage at Wembley. Even an ex-Stevenage supporter, who now lives in Great Addington, and stands on the PDB and is a Diamonds season-ticket holder thinks that will happen and is convinced that Stevenage don't want to go up. :oops:
TheIncognitoKid
Has Liked: 55 times
Been Liked: 33 times

Post by TheIncognitoKid »

Would want to avoid Luton, but that would mean them winning the league at our place on the fianl day! :x