[ Tue 25th Apr ] v Witton Albion, KO 7:45pm NPL1S POSF AWAY

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: [ Tue 25th Apr ] v Witton Albion, KO 7:45pm NPL1S POSF AWAY

Post by Rushdenjim »

Olly wrote:Thought it was a bit higher than that, but it wasn't a huge turnout by any means, do we know how many were counted away, I would have guessed 150, maybe 175? Sounded like 1000 though, another classic Diamonds away day, the atmosphere in the away end in itself made the trip worthwhile and credit to the singers for their song writing :clapping:

Gutting to lose out at the Semi Final stage, but it feels like tonight was kind of the expected outcome, a very closely fought game and we gave them a very tough game no doubt, but at the end of the day, they're a better team and were the better team on the night, we did very well to stay in it, especially after the red card (which having seen the footage, I don't blame the ref for giving a straight red tbh, it was reckless), and some stunning saves from Finlay, but we really lacked that cutting edge going forward as we have done for much of the season against the better sides in the league. I'm delighted we made the playoffs in the end, but ultimately I don't think we were ever quite good enough to go up this season in this league.

Hope we can pick up where we left off back in the Central next season, I think we can all agree the NPL South is a tougher league, and we were so unlucky not to be promoted last season, I see no reason why we can't be up there again challenging at the top next year with some good additions to the squad.
:good: top post olly. At 1-0 you are never out of a game but on reflection we were never really in it. I didn't come away from that game feeling unjust or annoyed by a missed chance. We were well beaten by a better team. The 25 points difference showed and I wish Witton all the best in the final. Any team that get 90+ points in a season deserves to go up. Bar was great with a good selection of ales. Jobsworth stewards that panic at anything that resembles a crowd. Overall glad I made the 7 hour round trip from Suffolk.
Pigman
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 35 times

Post by Pigman »

At 1-0 there was always a chance - but in all fairness we came up against a team that I thought were the best I'd seen this year before the match, and they proved it on the night. No complaints - the best team won!

The minute we went to 10 men (no arguments about that either, rush of blood to the head time!!) it was over really!

That said all those lads can hold their heads high - a great effort, but ultimately we weren't able to find a cutting edge. That save from Finners was worth the trip alone though!

The challenge now is to rebuild a squad for next season - who will want to stay? Who needs to go? I fear one or two of the players we'd like to keep might be looking elsewhere next season, but I guess we'll see.

Peaksy achieved what he was asked to do - get us into he play-offs - so should be given the chance to reshape the squad for the new season.

The result was what many of us expected so no surprise, just disappointment that we couldn't take it to the final game.

Well done guys anyway, you can be proud - but let's no mess about with the play-offs next season eh? Let's go and win the damn thing !!
RIP Dale Roberts - gone, but never forgotten !!
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Membership No. 51
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 145 times

Post by BartonRaz »

Probably a nice way to lose, if there is such a thing, in the sense we can have absolutely no complaints. Sometimes you've just got to hold your hands up and admit the opposition are better and that was certainly the case yesterday. Some incredible defending and exceptional goalkeeping from Finlay kept us level but it felt like a matter of time and so it proved. The lads gave it their all but frankly Witton were playing a standard of football far exceeding Step 4 and deserve to go up. It goes without saying I hope they beat Spalding on Saturday.

Pointless at this stage analysing where we go from here as I suspect we'll lose players we'd rather not, much like we did in the close season last year. I do wonder if we've seen the last of the likes of Brown, Dolman and Shariff although of course I hope that's not the case.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Diamond_ Wolf
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 4 times

Post by Diamond_ Wolf »

BartonRaz wrote:Probably a nice way to lose, if there is such a thing, in the sense we can have absolutely no complaints. Sometimes you've just got to hold your hands up and admit the opposition are better and that was certainly the case yesterday. Some incredible defending and exceptional goalkeeping from Finlay kept us level but it felt like a matter of time and so it proved. The lads gave it their all but frankly Witton were playing a standard of football far exceeding Step 4 and deserve to go up. It goes without saying I hope they beat Spalding on Saturday.

Pointless at this stage analysing where we go from here as I suspect we'll lose players we'd rather not, much like we did in the close season last year. I do wonder if we've seen the last of the likes of Brown, Dolman and Shariff although of course I hope that's not the case.
Spot on! I think the 25 points difference was quite clear and we can have no complaints whatsoever. The players gave their all but I honestly couldn't see where a goal was going to come from for us. I would like to think our key players will be around next season, if we can keep them and make a couple of quality additions then there is no reason why we shouldn't be challenging for the Southern Central title.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds member- 56
Wittoner

Post by Wittoner »

Excellent following form your lot last night and great vocal backing, i thought 1st half an hour was a poor game but livened up after that All the best for next season. :drinks:
Dowlo
Has Liked: 17 times
Been Liked: 44 times

Post by Dowlo »

No complaints regarding the result or the red card. I thought the referee was pretty poor overall, but you can't get away with a challenge like that with a ref who is looking to book players already.
No blame at Quig's door for the result though, I think it the writing was on the wall before the game and then during the first half were Brad and Finners made 3 goal saving headers/saves before half time. The 2nd save being out of this world!

You can't fault the players effort though and to a man everyone put a shift in, but Witton are man for man a better side and are extremely well organised, as their league position rightly suggests. It's ironic that their goal game when we were having our best spell of the match though.
Best of luck to Witton though in the final against Spalding- they deserve their promotion

The support from the stand throughout the game was great, and made the trip (also from Suffolk) well worth it, I felt the segregation helped that if I'm being honest- it was like the days of the old club again. Their supporters were a bit disappointing in both there numbers and vocal support!
As for stewards the "lady" who kept knocking the towel off the gate then appearing to be shocked by the kind of welcome she got from the stand as she walked past, and the young lad from the 90's boy band perhaps you should concentrate on helping supporters and being welcoming rather than being a pair of bell-ends!

On to next year, like some have said I feel we may struggle to keep some key players. Brown, Dolman and Shariff you'd feel all would want to be playing at the level above and are more than capable of doing so. That said you'd also hope they'd be tempted to stay and be involved in the project of taking AFCR&D back to Rushden and mounting a serious TITLE challenge next year when we'll likely be in the Southern Central League again.

Roll on season 17/18 I'm sure it'll be another exciting chapter in the tale of AFCR&D. See you all again for pre-season in July!
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

Roll on season 17/18 I'm sure it'll be another exciting chapter in the tale of AFCR&D. See you all again for pre-season in July![/quote]

This is not intended as a dig at you Dowlo.

But I hope we don't have to wait until mid July before we all meet again.

There is a hell of a lot to be done between now and August at Hayden Road and we will need every available person getting together to help get the ground ready asap.
mikerd
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by mikerd »

Olly wrote:Thought it was a bit higher than that, but it wasn't a huge turnout by any means, do we know how many were counted away, I would have guessed 150, maybe 175? Sounded like 1000 though, another classic Diamonds away day, the atmosphere in the away end in itself made the trip worthwhile and credit to the singers for their song writing :clapping:

Gutting to lose out at the Semi Final stage, but it feels like tonight was kind of the expected outcome, a very closely fought game and we gave them a very tough game no doubt, but at the end of the day, they're a better team and were the better team on the night, we did very well to stay in it, especially after the red card (which having seen the footage, I don't blame the ref for giving a straight red tbh, it was reckless), and some stunning saves from Finlay, but we really lacked that cutting edge going forward as we have done for much of the season against the better sides in the league. I'm delighted we made the playoffs in the end, but ultimately I don't think we were ever quite good enough to go up this season in this league.

Hope we can pick up where we left off back in the Central next season, I think we can all agree the NPL South is a tougher league, and we were so unlucky not to be promoted last season, I see no reason why we can't be up there again challenging at the top next year with some good additions to the squad.

Well said Olly, well put, I agree with you, NPL South league is much tougher, to me NPL South league is the toughest step 4 standard.

Stats prove that even more.

Southern Central league suits us, are style better, more closer games for us, 100's of miles less traveling time. 14 games we won at home in the Southern Central league to compared to 8 home games this season in (NPL South league)

More chance to win at home in the Southern Central league, meaning more people will want to watch.

NPL South league looks an even tougher league next season, with Corby, Ilkeston, Peterborough Sports, Cleethorpes (which is miles and miles away)

I also can see us challenging at the top of (Southern Central league) where we left of from, and a (much better chance) of it.
Rushdenjim
Has Liked: 88 times
Been Liked: 16 times

Post by Rushdenjim »

mikerd wrote:

Well said Olly, well put, I agree with you, NPL South league is much tougher, to me NPL South league is the toughest step 4 standard.

Stats prove that even more.

Southern Central league suits us, are style better, more closer games for us, 100's of miles less traveling time. 14 games we won at home in the Southern Central league to compared to 8 home games this season in (NPL South league)

More chance to win at home in the Southern Central league, meaning more people will want to watch.

NPL South league looks an even tougher league next season, with Corby, Ilkeston, Peterborough Sports, Cleethorpes (which is miles and miles away)

I also can see us challenging at the top of (Southern Central league) where we left of from, and a (much better chance) of it.
Royston won the league with Farnborough finishing 2nd with 90+ point. They won their play off semi against Egham tonight so hopefully they win on Monday.
sussexdiamond
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by sussexdiamond »

8 of the 9 Step 3 and 4 Play Off semi's have been completed (Ryman Prem tonight)

Every team finishing 2nd in their respective leagues have won through to the finals along with five 3rd placed teams and three 4th placed.

No team finishing 5th has won their semi final.....yet.