Will we see him back again??

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Will we see him back again??

Post by Cotty »

he was always good when he was guest presenter on Radio Diamonds - but as for taking him as a player, surely we've moved on from those days. His health and lack of Diamonds commitment would be held against him. I still haven't forgotten how he refused to play at Peterborough and watched Luton in the cup instead (allegedly!!!) and then said he was going to Oxford to play for a real team. On his day, he was a fantastic player - but unfortunately those days were few and far between.
Jemfy

Post by Jemfy »

His passing ability is immense and with good players around him to take the more physical side of the game he can make the real defense splitting passes at this level easily, pinging the ball around nice and fast. In the conference I'd take him so long as he fits in budget. Had no idea he'd just moved to the Liverpool area though, why would he do that if he was playing for Mansfield? Presumably the plan was to stay there having had another season to run on his contract.

I'm sure Saunders will probably offer him something at Wrexham, but equal terms up there over here he'd be silly to take. Their pitch is going to be awful with rugby due to be played there as well as the odd international (youth mostly I expect), and if their pitch is awful it's not exactly going to help Burgess' game. If he has gone up that way then I'd expect Fleetwood to offer him a good wage.

I was happy to see him come back the first time, and I wasn't happy to see him go again but it was neccessary for both parties (us financially, and him to chase the dream of playing for the boyhood club).
wewantourdarbyback

Post by wewantourdarbyback »

Cotty wrote:he was always good when he was guest presenter on Radio Diamonds - but as for taking him as a player, surely we've moved on from those days. His health and lack of Diamonds commitment would be held against him. I still haven't forgotten how he refused to play at Peterborough and watched Luton in the cup instead (allegedly!!!) and then said he was going to Oxford to play for a real team. On his day, he was a fantastic player - but unfortunately those days were few and far between.

I've highlighted the most important word in that.

Last season, with the armband on under JE Burge was outstanding, geeing his players up ruling the midfield. If he's on wages that can fit in our structure then I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 354

You could have 140 years of no achievement, or twenty years of glorious victories, you decide.

One Dale Roberts.

Twitter
Mad Dog
Has Liked: 2 times
Been Liked: 5 times

Post by Mad Dog »

wewantourdarbyback wrote:
I've highlighted the most important word in that.

Last season, with the armband on under JE Burge was outstanding, geeing his players up ruling the midfield. If he's on wages that can fit in our structure then I'd have him back in a heartbeat.
I agree with that. On paper, yeah you would consider it, but if given the choice now I wouldn't have him back. The reason is I'm hoping we'll be able to sign a certain Mark Byrne in the Summer...
davealbon
Has Liked: 9 times
Been Liked: 51 times

Post by davealbon »

I very much doubt that he would return under JEMS. I'm in no way suggesting that there is any bad blood between them, rather that he wouldn't fit in to the ethos of Justin's team.

In all honesty I would be disappointed if Burge did re-sign, we all know about his ability, but also his lack of drive and desire. Oxford realised they were better off without him, so did Luton and now Mansfield have too. The end of his last spell with us was better, but most of the previous 2 years had been largely disappointing.

We are enjoying our most successful season in years without any 'stars' except perhaps Tommo, but although he frustrates at times, he always wants the ball and always wants to do something positive, whereas Burge is happier standing on the half way line trying a few tricks.

Burgess has moved on, it's time we all did.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds Member No. 297
AFCRD_Dan
Has Liked: 101 times
Been Liked: 41 times

Post by AFCRD_Dan »

Cotty wrote:he was always good when he was guest presenter on Radio Diamonds - but as for taking him as a player, surely we've moved on from those days. His health and lack of Diamonds commitment would be held against him. I still haven't forgotten how he refused to play at Peterborough and watched Luton in the cup instead (allegedly!!!) and then said he was going to Oxford to play for a real team. On his day, he was a fantastic player - but unfortunately those days were few and far between.
If I remember correctly when he returned to us he said those comments were taken out of proportion by the press.
AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 73
Cotty
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Cotty »

I was being tongue in cheek, although there is an element of truth in my comments - but I don't think it would be in either the club or Burge's interests for him to return - unless he wishes to aim for the record appearances for Diamonds title. I think he is currently 3rd.
Dukes

Post by Dukes »

We have already got a talented but lazy mid-fielder, who doesn't tackle, nor challenge for headers or track back for the team - but yes he can pass the ball - so why would we want another passenger like Burgess back..?
Oundle Diamond #2

Post by Oundle Diamond #2 »

Don't think he'd suit our system

CDM - PT - Not tough enough/Good enough defensively.

CM - Byrne/Porter - Not tenacious and aggressive enough - too slow, although here would be the only place he'd have a chance in.

Wide Strikers - Tommo/Az - Way too slow and lacks finishing ability.
jimbobjaw

Post by jimbobjaw »

Dukes wrote:We have already got a talented but lazy mid-fielder, who doesn't tackle, nor challenge for headers or track back for the team - but yes he can pass the ball - so why would we want another passenger like Burgess back..?
Who are you refering to?