Stone Leaves!

All things unofficial about AFC Rushden & Diamonds and general football talk.
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Re: Stone Leaves!

Post by BartonRaz »

I actually think this could be a massive loss. :(
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

All my hopes for next season are sort of crumbling. Downer leaving is a massive blow IMO. Huke was really starting to get into his stride and Byrne, well you don't really need to say much about that, it's crystal clear. We really need Robinson and Porter to re-sign in the next week or so to steady things or we could be looking at much less than a play-off push. :(
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
BartonRaz
Has Liked: 5 times
Been Liked: 144 times

Post by BartonRaz »

I've been getting down, but lets think of reasons to be happy!

We've kept every striker we wanted to, inc. Tomlin. (I know JE wanted to keep J-Lo but i think i'm predicting we would all have voted unanimously otherwise!?)

If Byrne doesn't come back he (currently) is the only Midfielder we have lost that we wanted to keep. Although i expect that to be followed by PT.

If Downer does go as expected, we have still (currently) kept all the others, inc. Stuart and Osano.
They say we've lost our money we're not famous anymore.....

AFC Rushden & Diamonds - Member No: 291
Harry

Post by Harry »

BartonRaz wrote: If Byrne doesn't come back he (currently) is the only Midfielder we have lost that we wanted to keep. Although i expect that to be followed by PT.
Presuming Terry does go though thats 2 out of our 3 main midfielders gone, which is a huge loss.

I must admit at the moment I think we may do well to make mid table, however I didn't expect any better than that last season too and look where we finished then.
Diamond down South.
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Don't forget that Stone previously managed a club in the area, Wingate and Finchley, so probably lives not far from Barnet so you need to factor in the time and cost of him travelling every day to Irthlingborough.

As I posted a few weeks back, I can't see how players and staff that live in the London area can afford to play for a club such as us whilst continuing to live 80-100 miles away.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Trek wrote:Don't forget that Stone previously managed a club in the area, Wingate and Finchley, so probably lives not far from Barnet so you need to factor in the time and cost of him travelling every day to Irthlingborough.
That would make a lot of sense.
Diamond down South.
Bob's Bitch
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

Post by Bob's Bitch »

Presuming Robinson and Porter re-sign (not completely certain at the moment :() then we still need another 1 or 2 central midfielders for certain and then another centre back? Or will Corcoran fill that gap as he's done before?
R.I.P Dale. We will never forget you.

AFC R&D - Member No. 46
Trek
Has Liked: 11 times
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Trek »

Harry wrote:
That would make a lot of sense.
If Barnet's offer was the same as our offer then Stone would be quids in at the Bees.
Three of Diamonds
Has Liked: 24 times
Been Liked: 34 times

Post by Three of Diamonds »

Thanks for doing a great job last season Stoney, all the best for your future career we will miss you.

Downer leaving is not a big loss, he had a very patchy first half to the season, getting sent off a couple of times, but did improve nearer the end however he was one of our older players. As for Huke, well we didn't really see too much of him in his proper position, but if he goes well good luck to him too. Byrne is faaaaaaaar too good to play for a Conference team, so if he doesn't make it back here next season then it'll be for the right reasons.
Justin must be looking for a coach or assistant to replace him.
AFC R & D member number 34
diamond82
Been Liked: 8 times

Post by diamond82 »

One things for sure we are definitely going to see how good a manager JE is next season. I wonder how much of our success last year was down to Stoney. I got the impression that Justin was the motivator and Stoney did more of the analysis and tactics. I may be wrong about that.

With regards to the overall picture I won't be losing any sleep if Shane Huke doesn't come back, yes he was improving but I still felt nervous every time he was having to defend. As Barton Raz said i'm sure no one will be shedding a tear over not being able bring J-Lo back either! Sam Smith could play more as our 'big' striker now J-Lo and Cliff aren't around. I'm sure everyone on here expected him to start at least 30 games last season this time last year and I think he will develop into a much better player than the two who have left! I am on a downer about Downer (no pun intended) but at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be here what can we do?

Last year I didn't have a clue who some of the players we had coming in were! If Justin wants to sign a load more players I am more than happy to trust his judgement! And as said elsewhere we still have Az, Faz, Tomlin, Jamie Stuart, Corcs, Osano and Dale! The core of our side are still at the club! Agree we MUST bring back Max Porter and I would like to see us bring Robbo back too.

Hopefully Byrney will come back on loan as well. I can't see him playing a major role at Forest next season with the midfielders they have and I have a feeling Forest will be pleased with how he's developed whilst on loan here so will not have too many reservations about letting him play here next year. I'm sure given the choice Byrney wouldnt object to returning either.

There you go guys and girls its not all doom and gloom!

PS Good luck to Stoney!